Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
dc5hatch

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default GPS offline maps?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, i dont mean to beat a dead horse any more but will this ever happen?
I mean i orginally purchased the BB 8800 thinking that i coudl use the GPS like how someone would with the Garmin 350 but did not realise you need to register with a DATA plan! Sorry but thats just rediculous!

So i am really stuck with 2 options, either sell this thing, and get a standalone GPS or wait till someone writes offline maps stored on the SD.
will this ever happen or is this a lost cause?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
crazydude
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: att & vzw

Sorry but for now you need a data plan. Hopefully a developer is listening. Hey developers money money money!!!

Remember search first =>Forum Search

Get Answers From Blackberry Frequently Asked Questions
Old 08-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
dc5hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
Sorry but for now you need a data plan. Hopefully a developer is listening. Hey developers money money money!!!
man what a waste, how hard is it to write the software when they have it streaming the map info to the device! most of the work is already done!

Apart from the BS of having constant "up to date" maps and POI they really just want ppl to pay for the bandwith

Last edited by dc5hatch; 08-04-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old 08-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Blackberrys Require Data plan without it its just a phone ... i would say 99.99 percent of us here have that Data plan and pay for it.
bb maps is free but uses data or google maps
Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
dc5hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexteli836man View Post
Blackberrys Require Data plan without it its just a phone ... i would say 99.99 percent of us here have that Data plan and pay for it.
bb maps is free but uses data or google maps
Yes exactly, i wanted just a Phone with a built in GPS, the additional data connection was just a bonus. So the blackeberry I thought would be a good candidate since it had a built in gps and i got it for a good price. i never intended nor would i want to get a data connection.

Edit: And besides, 99.9% of u may have data connection but i doubt 99.9% of you have unlimited data connection, So using your bandwith to stream maps to your BB is rediculous when they have a SD device which can store maps.

Last edited by dc5hatch; 08-04-2007 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5hatch View Post
how hard is it to write the software when they have it streaming the map info to the device! most of the work is already done!
Those are famous last words... It's not a matter of difficulty. It's a matter of no GPS app developer having done so.

Quote:
Apart from the BS of having constant "up to date" maps and POI they really just want ppl to pay for the bandwith
I seriously doubt that there's a conspiracy among RIM, the carriers and the GPS app developers. RIM and the various carrier's don't create the GPS apps... Why aren't you asking the developers? Somehow I doubt they're avid readers of BlackberryForums.

Quote:
Edit: And besides, 99.9% of u may have data connection but i doubt 99.9% of you have unlimited data connection, So using your bandwith to stream maps to your BB is rediculous when they have a SD device which can store maps.
Depends on who you mean by "you". We do have unlimited data plans in the US. Not sure why carriers outside the US don't offer them...

Last edited by takeshi; 08-04-2007 at 11:47 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (9900: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

RIM has had the GPS interface locked down as well as access to the SD cards. Not sure where that stands now.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 08-05-2007 at 09:11 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
tallelf78

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

funny i started doing research on this yesterday

google maps seems to hang sometimes (just for a few seconds) but it is really annoying. i figured i could download map software to the miniSD so the maps would load more quickly

not to mention if VZ ever opens the GPS then I can use my BB when i am hiking in the Rockies like i intended independent of cell service

man this is getting more frustration by the day
Closed Thread