Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Question AT&T Rebate Card.... Anyone having bad experiences with this

Please Login to Remove!

OK.. Upgraded to the Pearl; paid the $100 upfront which was going to be returned to me vai "Rebate." Offer start 7/01/07 and ends 8/31/07. After recieving the Pearl... I download the Rebate Paperwork and notice that I will be recieving an AT&T Promtional Rebate Card.

OK... so I have been suckered. And from what I read online; a lot of people are having problems spending these things. There is also an Lawsuit right now about this false advertisment.
Court OKs Rebate Lawsuit against Cingular/AT&T

Now I understand and totally expected I wouldn't get cash back... But My question is this; Can I walk into my local Cingular Store with this "Rebate" Card and pay my current Cell Phone Bill... if the answer is yes; I won't complain.

Last edited by kellysheroes; 08-01-2007 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
superunlikely
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

I used it to pay my AT&T bill online and it worked fine. Actually, my bill was already paid in full so it went on as a credit.

Before I did that, I also had trouble using it at a gas station and grocery store.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Carrier: Verizon

I purchased my Pearl at Franchise AT&T store... they did all of the rebate stuff for me and my rebate card came to me within 6 weeks and I used it to pay at the grocery store with no problems.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouen1969 View Post
I purchased my Pearl at Franchise AT&T store... they did all of the rebate stuff for me and my rebate card came to me within 6 weeks and I used it to pay at the grocery store with no problems.
cool.. some people are having problems if a lawsuit has been filed...
I upgraded online.. so who knows how long it takes for my Rebate

Last edited by kellysheroes; 08-01-2007 at 12:41 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Carrier: Verizon

I saw something on the news about it... I don't know if mine went smoothly because they did it for me... I really hate that people are having issues because those rebates are one of the reasons why people choose certain phones...

Off subject kinda' but I have noticed that since AT&T took over Cingular completely, that my hold time when I call any reason is VERY lengthy! I'm talkin' about 15 minutes or more... I had to call when my sons phone went on the blink... after 15 or so minutes I was disconnected. I called back and waited again. Now once I actually had a CSR, all was great. They never gave me a hard time about the warranty... just sent me another phone the next day!

Last edited by rouen1969; 08-01-2007 at 12:59 PM..
Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
BBGregPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

I didn't have to worry about a rebate thing.

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
bossfan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I used some of it and had $12.07 left as it was about to expire at the end of July. I tried to use it for $12 in a restaurant but it was rejected because, at a restaurant, they add 20% when they get authorization. I wound up going to Best Buy and using it to put $12 on a gift card.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
spikesnet
No longer Registered.

PIN: 240B1A78

Cool, I'm waiting on my rebate card too. I'm going to just use it for my ATT bill, thanks for the idea guys!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c

uggg this makes me mad. My card expired after 6 months...this is insane...the least they could have done was allow it to last for a year. Not to mention I did not see the card until a month had gone by because of how slow they were in getting it to me.

I think I still had 20 dollars left on it which in the end isnt that big of a deal but still 20 bucks is 20 bucks. I was going to buy something today when I realized it was expired. I hope they win the suit and I get 20 bucks. Although me getting anything out of it is unlikely, it is frustrating never the less and I suppose my own fault in the long run.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
shawnc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

I was not happy to learn that I was getting a debit card instead of a check. Went straight to Starbucks and loaded on my coffee card. Worked just like cash and I went away happy.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

GO STARBUCKS!!!! yummy!!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 AM   #12
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
GO STARBUCKS!!!! yummy!!
Thats another idea too... starbuck cards last forever; correct?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #13
Mystic Mi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

my friend got the rebate also but she got a $100 and a $25 dollar one last week, she took her kids out to eat her bill came to $12 took out her $25 dollar card and it was declined, she was not happy, and yes she did call and activate it. i will let her know some of the things that she an do with it, thanks for the ideas.

Michelle

*my other car is a broom*
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Last Chrismas... I recieved these MasterCard Gift Card things... the deal was you had to know the exact amount on each card inorder for a cashier to use it... for example; if your bill came to $75 and you have $55.23 on the card... I had to tell the cashier the exact amount was on the card (or to take out an lesser amount; say for this example... have them use $55 of the $55.23 if you weren't sure of the exact amount left). Many resturants didn't take these things yet because they didn't know how to use them; I ended up using the Gift Cards at S&S and had to call the 1-800 # on the back to get the amount left on the card. From the stories I've been reading; these Rebate Cards are very similar.
I also believe that I read you can just bring the Card to your local Cingular/AT&T store and just have them use towards your bill and/or credit your account. Thats not too bad; next time you you go to the malls bring your card and got to the AT&T store. Just be careful; these things expire quick... and don't leave anything on them, AT&T is making a ton of money because people are leaving small amounts on their cards... don't give them anything.

Last edited by kellysheroes; 08-02-2007 at 08:26 AM..
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
Krystal

When I got mine, I got the letter stating it was like a "debit" card, and it even had a pin. It however would not run, I tried several times at the wal-mart, and we ended up running it as a credit rather than debit, and worked like a charm.

As for the rebate itself, I had to call and hassle them, as they claimed they did not receive the IMEI code...when I cut out the whole side of the box and sent to them. I was able to fax the guy my info, and he submitted the rebate. So make good clear copies before you send off for the rebate, as they will try the usual scam to get out of it.

Last edited by Krystal; 08-02-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Clittle07

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA77C4
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got my rebate card and had no problems with it...I used it at a gas station and to get food. Plus you can go here and check on the status of your rebate: https://www.web-rebates.com/ATT/Default.asp
Old 08-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #17
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clittle07 View Post
I got my rebate card and had no problems with it...I used it at a gas station and to get food. Plus you can go here and check on the status of your rebate: https://www.web-rebates.com/ATT/Default.asp
nice....
Honestly though... the more I think about it.. the more mad I get.
Its not Blackberry's fault either, they made a great product; it these sleazy Cell Phone companies.
Heres the link to my upgrade page when I order the phone.
BlackBerry® Pearl Cell Phone - AT&T, formerly Cingular Wireless
No mention of any BB Data Plan required inorder to Web Browse or use MediaNet
No mention of BSE for View Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint®, & more
Media player with expanded memory for MP3 music & videos (you need to purchase extra memory)
Mobile Instant Messaging - Yahoo!® Messenger, AOL® Instant Messenger, & Windows Live (TM) Messenger (available via download) (again; you need extra memory)
And then to top it off; I need to purchase the BB Data Plan inorder to be receive my $100 Rebate Card.
did I miss any or am wrong about some of these? But these are thethings piss me off.

Last edited by kellysheroes; 08-03-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Old 08-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
tymiller

Model: 9000

Mine worked fine until it got to like a $1.73. I ended up spending the $1.73 at a supermarket my friend worked at. I did have problems at a gas station though. They had to run it inside as it would not take it at the pump. But all in all, it worked for the most part.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #19
Girls Do It Too

PIN: Ask Me.
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysheroes View Post
OK.. Upgraded to the Pearl; paid the $100 upfront which was going to be returned to me vai "Rebate." Offer start 7/01/07 and ends 8/31/07. After recieving the Pearl... I download the Rebate Paperwork and notice that I will be recieving an AT&T Promtional Rebate Card.

OK... so I have been suckered. And from what I read online; a lot of people are having problems spending these things. There is also an Lawsuit right now about this false advertisment.
Court OKs Rebate Lawsuit against Cingular/AT&T

Now I understand and totally expected I wouldn't get cash back... But My question is this; Can I walk into my local Cingular Store with this "Rebate" Card and pay my current Cell Phone Bill... if the answer is yes; I won't complain.
As being a AT&T Sales Rep, the rebate card is pretty much a free debit card with however much money your rebate is worth on it. It is accepted anywhere that Visa is accepted. The Personal Identification Number for the card is the last four of your phone number. You also have to activate the card when you receive it. I honestly do not see how so many people can have an issue using these cards. It is the same as using your normal debit card. I have a few myself from buying my Pearl and other phones and when done properly there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:24 AM   #20
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Do It Too View Post
As being a AT&T Sales Rep, the rebate card is pretty much a free debit card with however much money your rebate is worth on it. It is accepted anywhere that Visa is accepted. The Personal Identification Number for the card is the last four of your phone number. You also have to activate the card when you receive it. I honestly do not see how so many people can have an issue using these cards. It is the same as using your normal debit card. I have a few myself from buying my Pearl and other phones and when done properly there shouldn't be a problem.
Do a search on yahoo or google.... theres awful stories about it....I'm still waiting for mine; I'll get back with my story.
Closed Thread