Old 07-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ROGERS
Default normal data working on 8320?

Please Login to Remove!

Would normal data for browsing work on 8320 as it does 8300? Any info about that? I don't know if RIM is gonna block that considering its add wifi.

Any guesses?

I am planning to buy a BB. For now I wanna stick with normal data plan which doesn't provide any sync functions - but you can check ur emails through wap site and stuff.

Eventually, I'll convert to it and give up my unlimited data glitch. (nothing ul in canada). So, just don't wanna give it up
Old 07-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Once the 8320 is released I am pretty sure you can still use the normal cellular service for data. If this wasn't the case you would always have to be around a wireless access point in order to have data access. WiFi will just be an additional feature to what the current 8300 device has.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

You should see no changes with what works now versus what will work with the 8320. The Wi-Fi Browser may not work, but I'm not really sure. It does make a connection back to RIM's network when you login to it (see link below).

BlackBerry | Now Connected
Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry I think I didn't make it clear
You know how the current version, the 8300, can work on normal edge data (not bb data) just for browsing. Not for push email

My question is when the new bb comes out, 8320, would it still work the same way that one can use normal data to browse and check emails thru wap, but in this case you can also use it around wifi? Just wondering if you guys think they'll block normal data connection thru tcp like present in 8300 to browse
Old 07-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I'm sure that will still work. Many apps require that connection to work.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
game,the
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
PIN: 2045881C
Carrier: rogers

yes i can confirm the normal data still works on the wifi curve. now if anyone knows how to get the IM service to work on wifi. . . .
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by game,the View Post
yes i can confirm the normal data still works on the wifi curve. now if anyone knows how to get the IM service to work on wifi. . . .
...its not out, not sure if anyone can pitch in.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
game,the
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakulm View Post
...its not out, not sure if anyone can pitch in.
Yes its not out, but i've tried it
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by game,the View Post
Yes its not out, but i've tried it
any possible release dates or an idea?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
game,the
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakulm View Post
any possible release dates or an idea?
no clue on the release date
Old 08-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
semaj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default date

release date sept 24. i just want to know when th ehotspot@home promo ends. any clue guys?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
dbt

Model: 81xx
Carrier: Rogers

IM on a wifi device would be nice.. well an IM app, not ebuddy.com haha.

to answer the initial question, the only thing wifi does is let you browse the internet without using your data quota. it doesn't allow you to use bbmessenger, IM apps, or even get your email in a special way. for all that you still need data.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

That's a little disappointing, although it does make sense.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #14
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbt View Post
IM on a wifi device would be nice.. well an IM app, not ebuddy.com haha.

to answer the initial question, the only thing wifi does is let you browse the internet without using your data quota. it doesn't allow you to use bbmessenger, IM apps, or even get your email in a special way. for all that you still need data.
Sorry but I beg to differ.
From the public KB direct from RIM.

BlackBerry Search Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIM
In addition, using a Wi-Fi network to connect directly to the BlackBerry Router, with or without a VPN session, or to the Internet on the appropriate port, a Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone can access the BlackBerry® Internet Service, BlackBerry® Messenger, and personal identification number (PIN) messaging.

A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone requires a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card to connect to the BlackBerry Router and access data services.

Note: Check with your wireless service provider for supported services and features.
So its possible. Heck its been possible since the 7720.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Jagga and dbt, you both right.

Quote:
A Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone requires a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card to connect to the BlackBerry Router and access data services.
That means, you need active SIM card to use WiFi. That SIM card will come from your wireless provider and definitely should have blackberry data plan on it.

This is how it works on 8820 and I doubt it will work differently on 8320: if you have valid SIM card with blackberry data plan you can use every blackberry feature over WiFi: email, PIN, BBMessenger, browsing.

Remove SIM card- no go. I thought what would happen if invalid (not activated or cancelled) SIM card is inserted- well, no go.

WiFi browser could be an exception and might work without SIM card, but even if it does- having just browser on blackberry is rather limiting.

For all purposes, no SIM card with blackberry data plan- no WiFi for you.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Guys this may seem like a dumb question, but if you do know the answer please share it with me. I've always been wondering if the phone has wifi, but you didn't sign up for wifi service. Will you still be able to pick up wifi signal let's say on campus or something kinda like a laptop?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #17
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
Guys this may seem like a dumb question, but if you do know the answer please share it with me. I've always been wondering if the phone has wifi, but you didn't sign up for wifi service. Will you still be able to pick up wifi signal let's say on campus or something kinda like a laptop?

Thanks
Yes. But it really depends on how said wi-fi is enabled. If they require various SSL certificates, post-connection VPN authentication, propietary software encryption, etc., then there's a chance it won't be supported on the device (especially without configuring settings such as VPN).
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Jagga and dbt, you both right.

That means, you need active SIM card to use WiFi. That SIM card will come from your wireless provider and definitely should have blackberry data plan on it.

This is how it works on 8820 and I doubt it will work differently on 8320: if you have valid SIM card with blackberry data plan you can use every blackberry feature over WiFi: email, PIN, BBMessenger, browsing.

Remove SIM card- no go. I thought what would happen if invalid (not activated or cancelled) SIM card is inserted- well, no go.

WiFi browser could be an exception and might work without SIM card, but even if it does- having just browser on blackberry is rather limiting.

For all purposes, no SIM card with blackberry data plan- no WiFi for you.
Excellent this is exactly how I thought it would work. I wasn't quite specific but many THANKS for clearing this up in earnest.

May I request a HUGE lot of WiFi Screenshots (from Options. The BB Browser, heck even from the connection screen - from scanning to wep/wpa input to full connection) PLEASE?! You can email them to me if thats ok, again please?

Also is there an option to manually SWITCH which connection to use if BOTH are available - ie WiFi & EDGE can you choose WiFi over EDGE & vice-versa?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post

Thanks
Scan for available Wi-Fi networks

Use the Wi-Fi Diagnostics tool

Wi-Fi Diagnostics tool - advanced mode

To use the Wi-Fi Diagnostics tool in advanced mode, complete the following steps:

1. Click Options.
2. Click Wi-Fi Connections.
3. From the Wi-Fi Connections menu, click Wi-Fi Diagnostics.
4. From the Wi-Fi Diagnostics menu, click Options.
5. In the Display Mode field, click Basic.
6. From the Display Mode menu, click Advanced.
7. From the Options menu, click Save to display an advanced Wi-Fi Diagnostics report.

hope this helps further.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Default WiFi & UMA further information

Here's a few more that I've found.
Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) and generic access network (GAN)

[B]What is the effect on BlackBerry 8820 battery life when associated to a home Wi-Fi network compared to an enterprise Wi-Fi network[B]

Using WMM Power Save

Wi-Fi Alliance estimates that WMM Power Save can provide from 15% to 40% improvement in battery life depending on the application characteristics. WMM Power Save will activate automatically when the BlackBerry 8820 smartphone is communicating with a WMM Power Save access point.

The battery life of the BlackBerry 8820 smartphone improves while associated to an enterprise's Wi-Fi network deployed with WMM Power Save access points compared to connecting to a home Wi-Fi network or hotspot that does not support WMM Power Save.

^ Related to the 8820 but still relevant I'm sure.

8820 owners we NEED a REVIEW! Please!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #20
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow that's some useful info right there. Thank you, Jibi and Jagga for clarifying how wifi works

Last edited by 30PSI; 08-27-2007 at 08:41 AM..
Closed Thread