Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #161
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
You might think I'm joking, but I'm not. Outages lasting a full day or 2 are not unheard of on Danger's equivalent of the BIS. And in the spring of '05... in March, I believe... Sidekick users experienced the worst outage ever. Service went down on a Sunday, and was not back up until sometime Friday evening!
Holy crap! Almost a week? That's ridiculous, but then again, with consumer-level services (like BIS and HTC), there's no SLA - so they're under no contractual obligation to keep the service up and running - except that they could lose customers.

Fortunately, RIM seems to be pretty responsive, I was only down on BIS for several hours, which I can deal with once in a while (believe it or not, my life does not depend on my e-mail being available in real time 24x7... heh).

Anyway, even though these outages suck and really shouldn't ever happen, I think we all need to make sure to remember that computer systems do go down once in a while, and I think we should be very glad that we have a company like RIM working for us, even though there's some downtime once in a while, it sounds like they jump on it and get it fixed as quickly as they can.

Hey - at least they didn't completely disable 12,000 handhelds the way Microsoft disabled 12,000 Windows systems..........
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #162
europamo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Damn I was wondering why I had no emails.
Vzw just told me it was me. I see that's not right. Pfft
Alexandre Dumas
Old 09-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #163
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What a black eye for RIM! The legendary bulletproof service is showing some weakness. And after the mea culpas, appologies, and promises of remedies after the last outage I don't think users will be so easily mollified this time.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #164
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What a black eye for RIM! The legendary bulletproof service is showing some weakness. And after the mea culpas, appologies, and promises of remedies after the last outage I don't think users will be so easily mollified this time.
+1 for sure.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #165
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The party's next door.

EDIT: Ignore me. I can't figure out which thread I'm posting in.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-07-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #166
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

This is wild -- way over my head -- but funny, to me. Emails sent earlier today are coming in one at a time, no flood. But the emails that are being sent now are received by me without delay.

Last edited by aiharkness; 09-07-2007 at 05:49 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #167
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
last 6 hours i get no internet emails. go to the webiste and resend service books, get flooded with emails that i really needed all day long!

what the hell is this? how can you rely on this when this happens all the time?
Calm down dude...

If the emails aren't important enough for you (or your company) to spend the money on a BES then they're not so important that you can't be a day without them once every 7 months (yeah, it's been that long since there was a nationwide outage).

Do you realize that it's been down a total of 13 hours this year, out of 6480, that's a 99.80% uptime of email delivery via BIS. I'd love you to find me another technology that you don't have to invest in a dedicated server to enjoy that type of reliability.

If it's sooooo terrible then you better invest in a verizon broadband card and carry a laptop for email access 24/7 ... oh wait, their NETWORK only has 97% uptime, and you laptop battery dying once in a year makes for about 98% uptime... hmmm, Blackberry technology isn't so bad after ahh huh?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #168
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Why was this moved to the 8300 forum? Seems General Discussions to me.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #169
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

All, this thread was intended to report the outage as it occurred. If you wanna bash someone, another user or RIM, it's not needed.

The solution of deleting and resending service books appears to be a solution for some of us (that want to do it).

**moved to General Discussion, thanks**

Last edited by JSanders; 09-07-2007 at 10:51 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #170
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post

Before you are so quick to blame RIM, look at your carrier first! THEY have alot to do with it!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #171
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
abell, and all others, this thread was intended to report the outage as it occurred. If you wanna bash someone, another user or RIM, it's not needed.

The solution of deleting and resending service books appears to be a solution for some of us (that want to do it).
How am I bashing him? He's bashing a service without justification. I'm simply adding clarity to his comments. If you can't have a forum where people can't respond with both sides of the story then it's not a forum, it's just like a government run news station. If you want to allow yellow journalism on this site fine, but you're doing a disservice to those who come as newbie blackberry users and read this guy's rant and think BIS is going to have 100% uptime.

Given the number of blocks, bans, topic moves (ie this one which is completely unrelated to the Curve yet was moved from a general discussion to the curve forum) I'm beginning to have my concerns with this forum's intention of being an unbiased source for open sharing of information.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #172
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell View Post
Do you realize that it's been down a total of 13 hours this year, out of 6480, that's a 99.80% uptime of email delivery via BIS. I'd love you to find me another technology that you don't have to invest in a dedicated server to enjoy that type of reliability.
99.80% is damn good for uptime, especially on a service with no SLA. (Although it sounds like your percentage is based on this entire year, so that *could* change). Most companies with an uptime SLA on their services offer 99.99% - so I'd say they're pretty close to that, and I'm alright with it.

Anyway, in the 2 or 3 years that I've been a BlackBerry user (having been on BES, now on BIS), I'm impressed with the availability of the service. Downtime is simply a fact of life - I've never heard of a company that guarantees 100% uptime of any of their services, and if they do, they're nuts.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #173
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
abell, and all others, this thread was intended to report the outage as it occurred. If you wanna bash someone, another user or RIM, it's not needed.
Hypocrite. Go to the 8300 forum and there is a topic that's been running for several days on the top of the list "Excuse me, the 8300 is a POS"... that's bashing... Me responding with sarcasm, is not.

Last edited by abell; 09-07-2007 at 05:59 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #174
jgarzoli
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: att

Service Book resend isnt working for everyone. I've tried it 3 times over the last hour, with no luck. Everything is still very much intermittent.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #175
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrzejewski View Post
99.80% is damn good for uptime, especially on a service with no SLA. (Although it sounds like your percentage is based on this entire year, so that *could* change). Most companies with an uptime SLA on their services offer 99.99% - so I'd say they're pretty close to that, and I'm alright with it.

Anyway, in the 2 or 3 years that I've been a BlackBerry user (having been on BES, now on BIS), I'm impressed with the availability of the service. Downtime is simply a fact of life - I've never heard of a company that guarantees 100% uptime of any of their services, and if they do, they're nuts.
Thanks for adding the support on this one. My figure was just based on year to date. Likely by end of year (trending as we've been outage-wise) the year would probably finish about 99.85%... but it's not a SLA service... heck, the last few times I have had issues it's been T-Mobile or AT&T that's been the problem, not RIM. My corporate email goes through BES, and it never stops working, except when ATT\TMO's data network has issues.... but people tend to remember the 0.01% of the time when it doesn't work and not the 99.9 when it does
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #176
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I have confirmed that maybe it is and maybe it isn't the 2.4 BIS upgrade.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #177
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch

I worked Monday so I could take today off, so, I've been running around today getting ready for the rest of the weekend. Been texting a bunch and had only thought to myself briefly, "Odd. I only three email when I got up at 8:30 this morning instead of 40 or 50. Oh, well, la la la." I saw somewhere online about the outage but had stuff to do and didn't really miss the e-mail.

I deleted and re-sent service books. First time I clicked Send Service Books it said unable to send and I was like, oops. But, I clicked the button again and the service books went and moments later 40 email came in. Kind of slow for work email today. So, that appears to work to clear up back log, which is fine for now. I'll have data turned off probably all day tomorrow (my birthday, thank you) so I won't die without any email this weekend.

It'll just be the fun of wading through it on Sunday night or Monday morning that'll get me. Heh.

But you know what will really piss me off? No, not this outage. If Boise State beats my Washington Huskies in the UW home opener tomorrow while I'm there to witness it. That is something worth getting mad about even though I have as much control over the outcome of the game as I do over RIM's infrastructure.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #178
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I have confirmed that maybe it is and maybe it isn't the 2.4 BIS upgrade.
I just got out of a meeting with my Blackberry and I can say with 100% CERTAINTY that there definitely might be a problem with BIS today.

Oh wait, sarcasm is not appreciated nor welcome here. I take the above back.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #179
gusberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120

No BIS service - Omaha, NE
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #180
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusberry View Post
No BIS service - Omaha, NE
The true question tho... was there ever service in Omaha to begin with? HEHEHE, oh cr#$$ there goes my sarcasm again. *BLOCKED*
Closed Thread