BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
jmagnuss

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Question blackberry functionality when travelling

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8700r from Rogers, and I'm about to take a trip to italy, mala and london. On rogers' nice international coverage page
Rogers.com | Wireless | Network Coverage | International Coverage
it shows several carriers in italy that do GPRS and one that does edge. In Malta, they have GPRS but none with EDGE. I'm trying to determine if my BB will work just as it does now, with push email, sending email, sms and the blackberry messenger and browser, or if it will be limited to being a cell phone.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
estabulla
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

If you have an international data + voice plan with Rogers you should be able to roam fine. For Blackberry data, GPRS is good enough for email and other BES related productivity apps like Calendar, Addressbook, Tasks etc. So EDGE will only improve the experience but not dampen it if not available. Browsing may be a tad bit slow with GPRS.

If you are only interested in voice roaming and you are running a 4.2 OS, you can disable data roaming so you do not get billed for data. I have traveled pretty extensively with my BB internationally and other than Japan and Korea, the 8700x roams very nicely, never had a problem.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
nick_h

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

I am not sure, but did you get your Rogers BB unlocked? I am not sure they do it to their customers...but if you got it unlocked one way or another you might check out call-in-europe.com they give you a europe postpaid sim that is compatible data with BB so you also get good calling rates (0.29 incoming, 0.89 back canada from italy) as Rogers is quite expensive $2 in both cases. you can get it worked on bis or bes.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Hadn't heard of that site before. Thanks for the info!
Closed Thread