Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Ramsy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default I can now read and INPUT Chinese on my 8320

Please Login to Remove!

To everyone that has wanted Chinese language support on the 8320, I can now read Chinese on my T-Mobile 8320. Here is what I did. I downloaded Singapore Telecomm's latest OS for the 8300. I then downloaded T-Mobile's latest OS. I opened Desktop Manager and it reported that I had some system files that needed to be updated (the updated system files were T-Mobile system files, nothing to do with Chinese language support). At the application installation screen, I clicked ADD and browsed to the directory that contains the Singapore Telecomm files (8300-v4.2.2.173_P2.4.0.76) and clicked on CJK.alx (I believe CJK stands for Chinese, Japanese and Korean). I now had East Asian Language support options available to me in my application list. I then simply selected Chinese, Japanese and Korean lanaguage support. The system then went through the normal installation process. After a reboot, I could now read Chinese e-mails.

Note, the application list also presented me with the option of installing language INPUT SUPPORT for Chinese -the same input systems I had on my 8700g. However, when I selected INPUT SUPPORT options, and then went to install, I got an error saying a file was missing. Not wanting to push it and potentially brick my phone, I simply unselected Chinese INPUT SUPPORT. At some point, I will go back and see if I can figure out how to add the INPUT SUPPORT.

Hope this helps anyone needing Chinese language support. If some figures out how to get Chinese INPUT SUPPORT to work via this process, please post. Thanks.

[EDIT: See my latest post below on how to install Chinese input on your 8320.]

Last edited by Ramsy; 10-12-2007 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Change in topic
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme

I have a solution for ALL blackberry devices, PIN Me for details. I can get your BB to read just about any language
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
muck

Carrier: optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5L View Post
I have a solution for ALL blackberry devices, PIN Me for details. I can get your BB to read just about any language
why not just post?

for the OP, if its just reading chinese, theres a post floating around somewhere that has the chinese files which u can just add in DM. which works flawlessly on the curve.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #4
Ramsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
why not just post?

for the OP, if its just reading chinese, theres a post floating around somewhere that has the chinese files which u can just add in DM. which works flawlessly on the curve.
Actually, I am after Chinese language input, just like I had on my 8700g. However, I will take Chinese language reading support as a first step, as previously, I had neither on my 8320.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
muck

i had trouble with chinese language input, there was black squares on certain characters.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
duncanmak

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

So even though you get some black squares, you still have some form of working Chinese input?

Anyone know about Japanese input?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
soloo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mobile
Default I can read Chinese now :)

Thanks to Ramsy and Singapore Telecom, I can read Chinese in my Curve now.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
duncanmak

Does this work for the BlackBerry Pearl as well? I think T-Mobile released 4.2.1.107 for the Pearl.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
shambasha
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

just download the new OS for 8320 from T-mobile website, install it, then connect your blackberry. it will ask you if you want to add any addtional languages.
simple ha.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambasha View Post
just download the new OS for 8320 from T-mobile website, install it, then connect your blackberry. it will ask you if you want to add any addtional languages.
simple ha.
...until you actually learn to read there, tough guy. This thread is about Chinese support which isn't available with *any* T-Mobile USA download, as Chinese is not part of their market.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmak View Post
So even though you get some black squares, you still have some form of working Chinese input?

Anyone know about Japanese input?
yeah, there still is some form of chinese input, i havent tried it on some of the newer os' available with chinese. as reading is basically enough for me.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
muck

theres plenty of chinese threads going around.

Icey Cake's Fei Hua Blog: Viewing Chinese with T-Mobile's RIM BlackBerry 8100

this is prolly the easiest solution to chinese characters
Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
rivviepop

yah, that's the URL that's been passed around for a long time. What I would do (if this were me, but I don't need chinese) is try and match the same Singapore OS files with the ones listed for download, it looks like it's only a font file that has to be installed. This seems safer (taking from 8300 OS) than downloading ones for 8100...

For instance I just looked at my T-Mo 8320 OS and there are a few net_rim_font_* COD files which I would assume exist in the Singapore OS, but CJK languages instead. If someone posts a list of all their 8300 Singapore net_rim_font_* files we can look...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Northern

Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks! That is great! I have successfully install it. However, some Chinese characters are in black square. I think there is some Chinese character database is missing. Does anyone knows the solution?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
Northern

Carrier: T-mobile

There is also a Chinese company who provide Chinese character input. I installed in on my BB 8320. It works. Here is there website:
²úÆ·
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #16
duncanmak

Default No additional applications designed for your device were found

Hello,

I'm trying to install CJK.alx on my BlackBerry Curve 8830 and I got this error message:

No additional applications designed for your device were found

I'm running v4.2.2.171 on my Curve.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
muck

[QUOTE=rivviepop;689212]yah, that's the URL that's been passed around for a long time. What I would do (if this were me, but I don't need chinese) is try and match the same Singapore OS files with the ones listed for download, it looks like it's only a font file that has to be installed. This seems safer (taking from 8300 OS) than downloading ones for 8100...
QUOTE]

ive been using it since i had so much trouble with the input and characters from the first 8300 o/s and now 8310. the files seem 100% compatible, and provides with a quick and easy way to ensure i get all the characters.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #18
Purple Drake

Carrier: tmo

duncanmak, did you ever get an answer? I also need Japanese (not Chinese) read & write.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #19
zhenblackberry

Carrier: TMO
Default Chinese Input method

I'm following 1st post.
I figured out how to install Chinese input to Curve.
We did the same way as post says and when the error message shown, just remember that file name(.cod) and then you can find it in your system (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8300-v4.2.2.173_P2.4.0.76\Java\net_rim_platformapps_res ource__zh_CN.cod) if you have installed the latest Singapore OS. Then copy that file to TMO same installation folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8320-v4.2.2.171_P2.5.0.24\Java). Delete the "vendor.xml" file at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Then you should be good to go ahead install any Chinese input method as u want.
I am now either able to read or type Chinese on my curve.

I should thank you for all help and resource here.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #20
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmak View Post
I'm trying to install CJK.alx on my BlackBerry Curve 8830 and I got this error message:
No additional applications designed for your device were found
You need to install the OS files download into your Desktop Manager. That has to be installed before you can install any additional ALX/COD files from the App Loader, it's a technical requirement by RIM. Search the forums, many threads about this (I think it's in the FAQ too).