Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

No, all that stuff is just a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
...Told her I was getting banned....
This is simply not true. You have never been banned.

Last edited by John Clark; 10-17-2007 at 09:30 PM..
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #22
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Contextual information (no comment on controversies here): It bears worth noting that every moderator on the forum has independent power to ban. One moderator can like somebody and another moderator can hate somebody. A polarizing figure, such as a lawyer (with prosecution vs defense) or a U.S. president (or of pratically any country), can understandably have lots of lovers and haters. (i.e. some people LOVE your iPhone mod -- and those pictures are pretty.)

Myself: I have never personally banned a BlackBerryForums member.
Just warnings and I leave this task to other moderators, and my skill is in moving topics to the correct forum, as well as making FAQ's at www.berryfaq.com ... I've been off and on, idle and active, as many other volunteer moderators are - with our own busy lives. I have never received a dollar from BlackBerryForums, although BlackBerryForums did help me gain the skills to be a reasonably well-paid BlackBerry/Windows Mobile developer.

Anyway, you're not supposed to paint all moderators with tar with the same paintbrush, San Francisco...

Attitude, attitude... (or if you prefer, the word "diplomacy") -- Unfortunately due to the microcultures that forms on forums, and the polarization that frequently occurs, it's often sometimes best to adopt the skills/attitude of a peacemaker/diplomatic figure than the attitude of a politician/lawyer (or other polarizing figure) when visiting a forum. Remember that. Really, forums are a compromise between democracy and authoritarianism, but at least they are much less chaotic than unmoderated newsgroups (i.e. Usenet) and unfiltered email Inboxes (i.e. spam). UBB-style forums such as these have become the best communities on the Internet, but aren't perfect, and massive million-post forum systems are just unfortunately prone to alienating a small % of the audience - it's a problem with every "big board". Thus, moderators, with independent feelings and opinions, often work together to try to keep harmony. But many times, some of us have independent minds. Anyway, we just respect each other's decision regarding moderator actions, even if we don't all always agree, although moderators have had to be demoted for abusing privelages if there was a nearly-unamious vote among all moderators.

P.S. Love that iPhone look. As a deaf guy, the notification LED has lots of useful contextual information and the transparent casing makes it easier to see the notification LED. One phrase, perhaps, should have been ommitted, as I am saddened my reputation may be affected by WSJ. Key word in "may", as I don't know how a reporter may decide to word the article.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 10-17-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #23
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

If it makes the wsj, I would love to see a scan of the article or a link to their website with it.

Did they take pictures of your device? or will it be strictly a word based article?

Any article about blackberries will hopefully make it more apealing and make rim bigger and have them make better devices. You never know, they might just hire some design folks from scion (toyota) to really pimp some berries!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #24
DaBlack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: Ask Yo Mama!!! LOL
Carrier: T-Mobile

The clear case with the lights do it for me but I don't see any real mods here. Congrats to you.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #25
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

You guys are tough on this guy. Mod includes anything "bolted on". If you modded cars you would realise this.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #26
grooveuniverse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMob

Modification generally means modification of standard production. What he did was modifications to the standard product.

When you replace standard equipment such as rims, body, and so forth on a vehicle, they are considered modified cars. Its within the same context.

However, what I would like to know and not just for this poster is..why get a Curve and make it look like an apple product? Isnt that selling out? Hehe.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #27
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S

"Pimped" or "modded", whatever, I think his Curve looks pretty cool. (I miss my color trackball on my Pearl!) And he is a lanyard guy too, yay! While I am not brave enough to take my Curve apart OR take a permanent Sharpie marker to my beloved Curve's trackball, I would totally love to do the lanyard thing with a plastic case because I NEED to use a lanyard but I always have trouble removing those darn plastic cases. I think it would just be a pain for me since I always need to open it up to do battery pulls.

So for now, I am fine with attaching my lanyard to my "unstitched" Krusell cabriolet case.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #28
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

A lanyard mod strikes me as a "real" mod - and one I would be very hesitant to try unless I found a way to make it extremely secure.I've seen 3rd party clamshell cases pop off phones with a bit of shock, and depending on where the lanyard is attached I wonder if it could actually be a stress point that would encourage the case to pop open

If I were to drill holes in the Curve case, I would think that it would also warrant a small metal reinforcing bar on the inside for the cord to loop around. Without something like that, I'd think the cord could snap a bite out of the Curve where the cord is attached.

How did you attach / secure the lanyard?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Default Lanyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

A lanyard mod strikes me as a "real" mod - and one I would be very hesitant to try unless I found a way to make it extremely secure.I've seen 3rd party clamshell cases pop off phones with a bit of shock, and depending on where the lanyard is attached I wonder if it could actually be a stress point that would encourage the case to pop open

If I were to drill holes in the Curve case, I would think that it would also warrant a small metal reinforcing bar on the inside for the cord to loop around. Without something like that, I'd think the cord could snap a bite out of the Curve where the cord is attached.

How did you attach / secure the lanyard?
Not sure if you are asking me or San Francisco, but I think he may have drilled a hole or two through his plastic case somewhere. At least that's what I would do.

As for me, I removed (unstitched) the camera flap on my Krusell cabriolet (which normally secures multi-dapt system/belt clip/lanyard mount) because I don't use the belt clip attachment anyway and the entire back flap thing was a bit bulky for me. I then attached the lanyard loop through one of the openings at the top of the Krusell case. It's quite secure.

Here's the link to the thread where I posted a photo and description of the "unstitching" process: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ase-curve.html

Edit: OK, I had to take the Curve out of the case to take a new photo of the lanyard (#3).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb8300_krusell cabriolet.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	9476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curve Krusell Cabriolet.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	9477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Krusell and lanyard.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9478  

Last edited by PCgirl; 10-18-2007 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: added photos
Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #30
Jerremiah

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Talking Cool lighting

Yup. Must have definitely been a slow news day for the WSJ.

Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #31
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Poor ol SanFran, you still cant get a break? around the forums.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #32
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

eh, ya gits whats ya give.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #33
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

And I thought SanFran was one of the beloved.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #34
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Gotta say, that is a sweet looking curve. Where did you get the clear housing for it? I think it would be pretty easy to change the faceplate on the curve, and the other small colored plastic parts as well. I've taken many BBs apart and they generally are easier to take apart then your everyday cell phone.

SanFran, looks good!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #35
Air Force One
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Classified
Carrier: at&t

What ever happened to old San Fran??

I always enjoyed his posts!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #36
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Last I heard he got chased and laughed at by a clown on a bike. Then a ddog chased him away.

sarcasm=on

Yeah, his posts were wonderful.

sarcasm=off
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #37
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

No, John, if you recall, HE was chasing the clown on a MINI bike, and couldn't catch him.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #38
Air Force One
Thumbs Must Hurt

I guess something happened while I've been away...?

I know you're being sarcastic when you say his posts were wonderful, but I always thought he was a helpful member. Just looking back at his posts shows that, I think. His video and tethering how-to threads motivated me to really tweak out my BB.

Regardless, you're a great member too John! (no sarcasm intended)
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yeah, he did have some good posts. He just was a little too emotional about it all.

He left.

Last edited by John Clark; 03-23-2008 at 06:01 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #40
Air Force One
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yeah, he did have some good posts. He just was a little too emotional about it all.

He left.
Oh I remember that..you had to be careful what you said sometimes or he'd jump down your throat....not mine, but I saw him do it to other people.

Oh well...I'm still around, so not all is lost!
Closed Thread