Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
meth0dz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Songs lost from media player

Please Login to Remove!

I loaded a lot of my songs into my BB from my pc. I didn't do it through media manager but through the good ol' drag and drop method. The problem is that a majority of my songs show up in the media player but a lot don't. The thing is, that I know the songs are compatible because none of them are DRM protected and also I played the missing songs through the "explore" option when you get into the media app. Not sure if the problem is the titles as well because some are short and they don't show up and some are long and they dont show up. I am so confused as to what is happening. They are also a mix of .mp3's and .m4a's with some m4a's showing up and others not, same with mp3's. Any help would be really appreciated as I don't want to scroll through 300 songs to find the one that I want.

Edit:
I went ahead and checked some of the ID3Tags and they were fine except for 2 so they were fixed but they rest still wouldn't show up. 2 battery pulls and 10 mins later a lot more started showing up. Just kept waiting and a full 30 mins from posting all of them show up.

So my problem wasnt the ID3 tags like most users have, just had to wait for the media player to populate the song list.

Last edited by meth0dz; 10-12-2007 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Found Solution
Old 10-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Were the songs all inthe same directory or spread out?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Once I had them properly taged it took about 10-15 minutes for my 8310 to sort 3.7gb of music when I first put in the memory card.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
meth0dz

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Sorry for the late reply. They were all in the same directory. Same issue as Bryan, they just took a long time to load.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
shiryon

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

It seems that no matter what I do, the media player will not list all songs. And the thing is, it's not consistent. The tags are all perfect. The player will list all of the albums for the first 80% of the songs or so, but not the rest. So, if I delete some folders/songs, then the media player will pick up some of the albums stored later on (alphabetically). For example, only 2 of my U2 albums show now. If I delete a number of the Dave Matthews songs, more of the U2 albums will appear. Is it possbile the player cannot handle such a large number of songs? I have about 3 gigs worth of music on a 4 gig card. Perhaps the media player wasn't designed to index that many songs.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
DaBlack

Model: 8320
PIN: Ask Yo Mama!!! LOL
Carrier: T-Mobile

This same issue just started on my Curve. Everything was fine until I had a issue with the media player and my headphones. Pulled the battery and headphones started working correctly again but now songs are not all showing up. At least I can explore the sd card and play songs from there but it doesn't beat having the albums listed from the main menu.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
mgmblackberry

Carrier: Verizon

I found this post after I created a separate post. I thought that this issue may be related to software version 4.3, the Pearl 2 and/or an 8GB card. I will post if I see any resolution to this.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...mitations.html
Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
akhan78

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

I have a Curve and am having a similar problem. I added 1.5Gb of songs (mass storage method), all worked fine and showed up in the media player, I uploaded 200Mb more and for some reason I can't get them to show up. It's been three days now since this was done. Another similar issue, I uploaded an episode of futurama, watched it on the video player, then later deleted it (mass storage method through windows). I still see the file name even though the file is physically gone. When I click the movie it of course does not play. I believe its some sort of caching/indexing issue but am not how to clear this cache or get the media player to reindex.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Still happening to me too.I can't see all my songs even when I browse the card from the bb rather than use the media player. Any resolution on this or a way to force a full reindex?

Last edited by kd78; 12-12-2007 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default The case of the disappearing music

All,

I am new to any BB os that has mp3 database for playing music that was introduced in 4.2.2. I recently installed the os 4.3.1 beta for the 8100 (original Pearl) and ran into this same problem and originally thought it was a beta issue until I found this thread. After a lot of frustration, this is what I tried and it seemed to stabilize the whole Media Player functionality.

1. Backup all files on media card by connecting as Mass Storage Device and copy files to a hard drive. (I highly recommend this but proceed at your own risk of losing everything in the following steps if you don't want to bother)

2. Go to Options -> Media Card, press the Menu button and select "Format Card" (this will erase everything on your card....I mean everything and recreate the system files and folder structure that the device is expecting)

3. Reload media files to the card as you have done in the past and then unplug and wait patiently for the scanning process (database refressh process) to complete. It may take a few minutes or up to 30 minutes according to other posts to complete, be patient it should complete eventually.

4. Finally check that all tracks are listed under Songs, Artists, Albums, etc. Reload any important files that you want and you should be good to go!!!

I would be interested to hear if this works for others.

Also, I would be interested to see how many of the posters that have had this problem either upgraded their operating system from a previous version and never reformatted the card or upgraded from an older Pearl, Curve or 8800 and just moved the card without formatting. It would be nice if we could determine the trend so others may at least be able to figure out if they have a similiar set of circumstances that are causing the problem.

Good luck and please report back.

SIB
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
mgmblackberry

Carrier: Verizon

After reading the post by 7100simpleisbetter, I gave the format, reload and pray method. Unfortunately no success. In my experience, the artists of A through L (or so) fully load, and then just one album for artists M through W loads (in the case where an artist has more than one album), and even then some artists are missed. Y does not load and all and there are no Z artists. In other words, I continue to have the problem. I have recoded each track, and even reduced the tag data to ONLY artist, album, track and track number, deleting ALL other tag data including album art. No luck.

I now use FlipSide for mp3 playing. This is a great program that is still progressing along. I wish that it has avrcp support and the album art did not take up so much of the resources, but it will work for now.

To be frank, I am surprised that there is not more of an outcry from the BB community about this problem. I use an 8130 (ver. 4.3) with an 8GB card. In my experience, the device simply cannot handle 1800 or so tracks and I do not understand why. It must be a memory or number of tracks limitation, but why RIM would allow 8GB (and more) cards without upping the track allowance is beyond me. I am hoping that it gets corrected soon.

Happy holidays.
Closed Thread