Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
tmohler

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default Another "Which BB to get?"

Please Login to Remove!

I know just below this someone has a similiar question but I have some other needs that I'm wanting to cover. I'm a network administrator and a couple of our employee's one being the CEO are looking to get iPhones for email access, other business needs, and obviously a phone. Not thinking the iPhone to be a very good business solution I'm trying to sway them to a Blackberry. I'm just not sure of the model to get and have no background with Blackberrys.

Here is what I'm wanting -

Exchange Syncronization (At very least the ability to access Exchange webmail)
Ability to access a VPN.
Remote Desktop even if 3rd party software is required.
Is it possible to encrypt to keep sensitive data secure?
Wireless access a plus but not exactly necessary.
MP3 playing was a selling point for one of the guys and was wondering if it would compare to an iPhone.
Storage around the range of an iPhone 2-4gig would work.
I'm guessing internet access is a givin' depending on what plan they go with.

I'm thinking they are wanting the iPhone based on flashy looks as opposed to business functionality and am trying to sway them this way from a management and security stand point also. So, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. If they are already dead set on getting the iPhone, I doubt you will persuade them much.
-No iPhone BES support.
-No iPhone Third Party applications on the iPhone.
-RIM data transmission is as secure and more than any out there... why would the CIA use them if not?
-Wireless Access? All BB is wireless access unless you mean WiFi, then you will need an 8320 or 8820.
-On BB, 2-4GB on the 8100, 8800 and 8300.
-On BB, MP3 playing, yes. What a great business tool.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

And we all know that shiny new toys override one's common sense. The minute the BlackBerry doesn't do what they want it to do, they will yell, "I knew we should have gotten the iPhone!"
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Jsanders pretty much summed it up for you. The BlackBerry fits all the needs you've described. It all is a matter of opinion on which device to get. I would recommend going to a store and trying each one out. Get a feel for each one. A lot of poeple love the pearl, it has a nice form factor and is more like a "phone". I am not the biggest fan of the suretype keys. I personally like the 8800 series, It is the only of the 3 that JSanders mentioned that doesnt have camera, which I am not concered with. It has a full QWERTY keypad as does the 8300 (curve) series. Best of luck to you. Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Paul@YRC

Model: Idont
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A

From a business point of view i'd say cleary a BlackBerry. The iPhone wasn't created for use as a business tool, it's a commercial money making product. Obviously the BlackBerry is aswell but it's meant for work use.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile

I agree, the iPhone is shiney and new and has all the bells and whistles but I think when you want to get down to serious, reliable email and such...the Blackberry is the way to go. A good example is when you travel and you see all the business men with their BBs (and not iPhones).

However, crackberry.com was working with a few other techies and did a 'round robin' where they each try another phone and then put their remarks up on the site...so you can get several opinions.
go here...Smartphone Experts Round Robin
Closed Thread