Old 11-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
kitmoni
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint
Default VZW 8130 General Thoughts & Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Ok gang, long time qwerty Bb user and intrigued with the Pearl. Sticking with VZW, so this looks like the best option. I'm currently on an 8703e using 4.2, but I'm a bit dissatisfied with it's slowness after putting on the new software.

I stopped by VZW and played with the Pearl. I was very impressed with it's speed. What also impressed me was how well the suretype worked. I've always heard that it takes a little getting used to, and I buy that. However, I typed several messages and I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm a heavy email user, so this is a consideration for me. Keys are a little tight, but the "predictive" nature of suretype was interesting.

My Observations:

1. Great form factor
2. Suretype seemed much easier than I expected
3. Device speed seemed very good (including browsing)

Questions are:

1. Are these observations correct for those of you who have taken it home?
2. Has the screen size been an issue at all?
3. How do you put your music on the device? I know it has the MsD card, but everything I have is in iTunes. Is that relatively easy?

Trying hard not to make the switch right a way, but very interested...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
JinFocker

Model: 8530

1. yes....awesome fone..lives up to expectations
2. screen size is not bad at all. for its small phone size, the screen is pretty darn big.
3. to put music....just insert microsd and open "removable disk" drive. then just copy and paste music to that folder...DONE.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Doughdaddy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: thumb or push?
Carrier: VZW
Default 8130 expectations

I got mine on Monday of this week, switched from an 8703e so the suretype was a consideration for me also.

1: Yes , phone clarity is great, very fast os compaired to the 8703
2: Having an 8703 with the bigger screen and going to this one has not been a problem. The screen looks great and is really not much smaller.
3: I use Media Manager on the DM, simply move the files from the top to the bottom and have it otimise for easy play back.

I also posted here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ds-8130-a.html on how I have been able to convert and add my recorded TV shows to it. Now that is something the 8703 could never think of doing.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
jseah

PIN: 30496979
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
3. to put music....just insert microsd and open "removable disk" drive. then just copy and paste music to that folder...DONE.
I have a question on this...does the media player in the BB recognize the iTunes M4P format? Can you play songs purchased through iTunes on the phone?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Doughdaddy

Default iTunes on BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
I have a question on this...does the media player in the BB recognize the iTunes M4P format? Can you play songs purchased through iTunes on the phone?
My experience with iTunes is that songs purchased on it can only play on it or iPods. They are proprietary to Apple software.

If someone else has been able to rip the songs or make them play on a BB let me know, I would like to do it also.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
JinFocker

Model: 8530

don't know about mp4...definitely mp3. try it though...if it doesnt work, just download a mp4 to mp3 converter.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
roverradio

PIN: N/A

You can use Tunebite to convert copy-protected itunes files to non-protected MP3 files at about 4x realt-time (and yes, it's legal if you bought the tune).

Tunebite

Last edited by roverradio; 11-16-2007 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: edit url title
Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
kitmoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverradio View Post
You can use Tunebite to convert copy-protected itunes files to non-protected MP3 files at about 4x realt-time (and yes, it's legal if you bought the tune).

Tunebite
Is there a program like this for OS-X, or do I have to move the music files over to a PC to convert them?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
kitmoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughdaddy View Post
I got mine on Monday of this week, switched from an 8703e so the suretype was a consideration for me also.
Now that you're a week in, is suretype inhibiting you in any way?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
Doughdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitmoni View Post
Now that you're a week in, is suretype inhibiting you in any way?
No, not really. I have learned when to use suretype vs. multi tap. For the most part I type emails just as fast as on the standard qwerty keyboard.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
Hebdog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Some leters and numbers

I love the phone. I have wanted a pearl for a long time, but never got one cause my company foots my phone bill and we use Verizon. I came from a 7130e so sure type was just the same for me except the predictive format. The sure type takes a little getting used to but once you get it down you will love it. I too type a lot of emails and texts as well and can type faster on my pearl rather than my laptop. The screen as others have stated is for sure not a problem. It is bigger than you think and you dont have to squint to see it.

Over all I love this phone and will keep it for some time. It is a very powerful BB that also was aimed more towards the everyday user rather than the corprate person, like most of the BB in the past.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
johnbbny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitmoni View Post
<snip>
My Observations:

1. Great form factor
2. Suretype seemed much easier than I expected
3. Device speed seemed very good (including browsing)

Questions are:

1. Are these observations correct for those of you who have taken it home?
2. Has the screen size been an issue at all?
3. How do you put your music on the device? I know it has the MsD card, but everything I have is in iTunes. Is that relatively easy?

Trying hard not to make the switch right a way, but very interested...
My two cents:

1. I have the Pearl but am considering returning it for the 7130e. (You said you were sticking the VZW, and this is a phone that VZW carries.) I prefer Suretype over Qwerty, but the keyboard size and response on the 8130 is at the very limit of what Suretype works well with. The 7130e's response and spacing is much better.

2. Screen size is not an issue.

3. You're on a Mac, so be prepared to be seriously disappointed about anything related to synching. About the only thing that works reasonably well is Contacts synching with Address Book. For everything else (music, photos, videos, notes, calendars and tasks, etc) you will have to cobble together a set of workarounds to get things in a semi-workable state. And, you will need a USB card reader. File transfer with a USB-tethered 8130 to a Mac is dodgy at best.

4. Battery life is not very good. In fact, it's quite terrible. But you have to expect this, because this is inherently a trade off with the phone size. I absolutely have to charge every day, and I'm cautious (i.e. I put it into standby when not in use, I dim the brightness level of the screen, I try to limit my calling if I know I'm going out for a long period away from my desk, I have the phone set to turn off automatically at 1AM and turn on again at 6AM, etc). If you're the type that wants to keep Bluetooth on, use the device as a general media player on your commute (in lieu of an iPod), talk regularly, use the camera etc -- well, be prepared to be disappointed.

Overall I rate the phone "satisfactory." About the only things I *really like* about the Pearl are the screen, the size / form factor, and the ease with which I can do Bluetooth tethering for Internet access. In most other areas it just barely meets my expectations, or falls far short.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Guinness plz

I'm a longtime BB user, and have used multiple networks, currently with Verizon. When I left my 7250 for the 7130e, I was concerned about the SureType, but quickly became very proficient with it. When the new world phone from Verizon came out, I (of course) wanted the have the latest and greatest, so I went and picked it up thinking "going back to a full keyboard isn't so bad" but I really missed the size and useability of my 7130.

Now that the Pearl (8130) is out, I decided to go back to the SureType, and haven't regretted it one bit. I found myself (with large hands admittedly) fumbling often with the full keyboard, and simply could not type as fast with the 8830 as I could with the 7130, and can with the 8130. The Pearl is a phone that FEELS like a phone, and the form factor and size are simply amazing for what the device can do.

Add to this: a camera (which is huge for some, less so for others) external MicroSD card slot (which just makes more sense be honest) bluetooth stereo support, and less of the volume issues (at least that I've found) than the 8830 and for me the Pearl is a clear winner, no contest.

I've had it for a little over a full week now, and its simply the best Blackberry I've ever owned. I've not had the battery issues that others have experienced, and I think I'm a moderate to heavy user of the device - emails, txt messages, internet, phone calls, etc...and I get almost the exact battery life out of the Pearl that I did with my 8830. 2-3 days depending on usage, and thats perfectly fine by me.

I'd say, if you are considering it, and your use is primarily phone, you'll be quite pleased with the Pearl. If you are a heavy e-mail/txt'er, then you'd likely have about a week (maybe 2) to get used to the keyboard, and after that, you'd probably wonder why anyone uses a full keyboard. But that's my 2 bits...cheers no matter what you decide!

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 11-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
slines
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9600

Is there really a huge difference software wise from the 8830 to the 8130 sure you get a camera and it has sure type but is the ringers louder on this phone then the 8830 is it worth switching to I have a new 8830 and was thinking of selling and buying out right the pearl?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
bradhs

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Virtual CD-RW burner converts DRM protected M4P to MP3, M4B to MP3, M4A to WMA is what I use to convert my iTunes music to mp3. Works great, very simple to use.

Bradley
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slines View Post
Is there really a huge difference software wise from the 8830 to the 8130 sure you get a camera and it has sure type but is the ringers louder on this phone then the 8830 is it worth switching to I have a new 8830 and was thinking of selling and buying out right the pearl?
Certain ringers on my 8130 are so loud it's embarising.