BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
pkouwe

Model: 7130e
Carrier: verizon
Smile VZ Navigator working on 8830

Please Login to Remove!

I installed VZ Navigator on my 8830 a couple of days back. Of course, it didn't work. Originally, tech support told me the service was down.
My VZ Nav still wouldn't work this morning, so I spent more time with tech support and they told me they received an email late yesterday afternoon (11-20-07) stating that the new software for VZ Navigator for the 8830 was flawed and would not function. They apologized and gave me a month's free Nav service and a credit for my trouble. They said they would notify me whan a fix came out.

However, I don't give up that easy, so I began experimenting and found the solution. My VZ Navigator is up and running fine!

I am guessing this process may be mandatory on the 8830 where it is running with Blackberry Enterprise Server.

The guys at Verizon owe me! I'd say a month's free service would do it, eh??

----------
After installation of the most current Blackberry device software (important) and the latest version of VZ Navigator for the 8830 (from VZW website),

On the Blackberry device itself, go to Main Menu , Options, Advanced Options, Applications using the Blackberry Menu key
Once in Applications, wait for application list to build, then scroll to VZ Navigator in Applications list.
Use Menu key and select Edit Permissions.

Scroll over Connections , hit menu key, select Expand, then adjust settings as follows:
Phone to Allow
Location (GPS) to Allow
Company Network to Allow
Carrier Internet to Allow

Scroll over Interactions , hit menu key, select Expand, then adjust settings as follows:
Interprocess Communication to Allow (cannot access address book when set to Deny)
Device Settings Modification to Allow
Media Access to Allow (no audio during navigation when set to Deny)
Module Management to Allow
Keystroke Injection to Allow (cannot stop screen from blanking when set to Deny)
Security Timer Reset to Allow (cannot stop password protect mode when set to Deny)

Scroll over User Data , hit menu key, select Expand, then adjust settings as follows:
PIM to Allow (cannot have access issues with address book when set to Deny)
Files to Allow (cannot save data to the device when set to Deny)

Hit back key and save all changes, then exit menus.

After that, my VZ Navigator worked fine!! So far, I am fairly impressed, but haven't really had time to give it a shakedown. Don't take Verizon's word for anything. If you want something done, work on it yourself.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

The problem many of us are having is that two of the permissions under interactions cannot be changed. They are set "deny" and cannot be accessed. They are:

Keystroke Injection
Browser Filtering

Today I spent over 2 hours with advanced data support and never could get it going on my device. We tried everything on my device and never could get it to work. I am doing a javaload wipe and reload now.

I did try it on a very new 8830 (bought yesterday) that did not have any 3rd party apps on it. I updated it to .176. provisioned the account for VZnav, downloaded the software and then went and set the vznav permissions. We were able to set the above two permissions to allow, unlike my 8830.
After we did this Vznav worked on the first try!

So I think the key is figuring out why those two permissions cannot be changed.

Dan
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
pkouwe

Are you on a Blackberry Enterprise Server at work? If so, your BES administrator may have the option to change permissions locked down tight.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

We are on a BES, but I left both 8830's off of the BES (I didn't reactive) after the upgrade to .176 so that the BES wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyo View Post
We are on a BES, but I left both 8830's off of the BES (I didn't reactive) after the upgrade to .176 so that the BES wouldn't be an issue.
Was the 8830 ever on the BES?
If so, the IT policy from BES would still be on your 8830 from the initial BES activation.
It doesn't get removed during the OS upgrade process, even if you wipe the handheld.

It's likely that the security settings in place by the IT policy are causing issues with your application.

Last edited by penguin3107; 11-21-2007 at 08:54 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Was the 8830 ever on the BES?
If so, the IT policy from BES would still be on your 8830 from the initial BES activation.
It doesn't get removed during the OS upgrade process, even if you wipe the handheld.

It's likely that the security settings in place by the IT policy are causing issues with your application.
Actually both 8830's were on our BES prior to the .176 OS upgrade, so they would both have the IT policy on them after the upgrade. The only difference I can come up with is that one of them is a newer device without any 3rd party apps.

It has to be something else...
Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
floz23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: storm
PIN: N/A

Sigh, Verizon never ceases to amaze me.

I was having problems with vznav, it would show the splash screen and exit. They told me I'd have to wipe my device. Luckily I tried your directions; It worked.

I should also note, I am NOT on BES.

-Adam
Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by floz23 View Post
Sigh, Verizon never ceases to amaze me.

I was having problems with vznav, it would show the splash screen and exit. They told me I'd have to wipe my device. Luckily I tried your directions; It worked.

I should also note, I am NOT on BES.

-Adam
Well i have now done a javaloader - usb wipe, reloaded .176 OS, re- downloaded VZnav... and it STILL wont work! Those two permissions remain deny and can't be changed!

arrrrghhhh!!!!

Does anyone have ANY idea what the difference may be between the two devices? I would think that after a java wipe and reload, they would be the same...

I am on the phone with Verizon 3rd level technical support now (the HIGHEST I'm told...) and they are baffled.

Update: We did yet another usb wipe while their tech was on the phone, reprovisioned the VZnav feature, reactivated, re-downloaded VZnavigator and then checked the permissions and no joy.. we are still unable to change those two permissions.... We tried the VZnav application just to be sure and it has the same problem....splash screen for 1-2 seconds and then bombs out, returning to the main menu.

At this point they are turning the issue over to their NRB (Verizon Network Repair Bureau) I told him I want a new device. If mine isn't fixed by Tuesday of next week they will send another device out.

Last edited by rudyo; 11-21-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Old 11-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
Carrier: *

Quote:
At this point they are turning the issue over to their NRB (Verizon Network Repair Bureau).
HAHHAHA! Is that like Verizon's "Geek Squad"? I swear, these loosers didn't want to get all the support calls for GPS and 3rd party apps, yet they can't even get their own stuff working. How lame.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
pkouwe

Quote:
Actually both 8830's were on our BES prior to the .176 OS upgrade, so they would both have the IT policy on them after the upgrade. The only difference I can come up with is that one of them is a newer device without any 3rd party apps.

It has to be something else...
I am still suspect of the IT policy. Sorry to hammer on it, but it may be worth talking to your BES administrator and, after buying him/her a case of beer, having them try to push you a new IT policy that allows application permissions to be changed by the user. I would suspect that the original IT policy in the 8830's are set by Verizon to disallow permissions to be changed. Otherwise, they would not be able to control their customer's devices and we know how important that is to them.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
fusky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

I too am having the same isse. Those 2 options will not go to allow. At first, I thought it was just me.

I am one of the BES admins (very new and novice one, so I don't know THAT much) at my company. I went through the IT policy and checked all the settings. I didn't see anything that would have limited these options.

Is there something in the policy that I could have missed? Does anyone know the exact setting that controls this?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I am on Corporate BES, and when selecting to download, checked the Set permissions box, changed all to allow, saved, then downloaded the app.
it is working properly on Aruba GSM carrier and a external puck.
have not been able to activate it @vzw site, so I'll do so when I get back home this weekend. So far, I am impressed.
Closed Thread