Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
wesly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BB 8310 New 4GB Micro SD

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I have looked high and low in all the threads. I just stuck my new 4GB card in my BB and it sees it in Media Card as 3.7GB Total and Free. Other settings in this option are: Media Card Support: On
Encryption Mode: None
Mass Storage Mode Support: On
Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Should any of the setting above be changed before I connect to my PC b/c I have read so many posts I am wondering what I should do next to ensure I do this thing right. Here's the options below that I think are my next steps:

1) Prior to connect to PC should I format in BB using Options, Media Card, Format or;
2) Do not format in BB connect to PC wish and hope that it see it as extra disk with most of the space available, then add files or;
3) Start Desktop Manager 4.2.2 connect BB the run Media Manager then see if its seen there then add files

Ultimately my goal is to load music files and organize it for playback etc.

Sorry if this request has been asked elsewhere but I have been on the forums for quite a while tonight and can't seem to find the answer for the best practices when inserting and using Micro SD card. Thanks for any help you offer
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have the same settings as you with my 2GB card and it works fine. I formatted the card using the BlackBerry and when I connect it to the computer it recognizes it as a drive letter.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
wesly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have the same settings as you with my 2GB card and it works fine. I formatted the card using the BlackBerry and when I connect it to the computer it recognizes it as a drive letter.

So all you did was format it using BB options, media card--correct? I haven't done the format yet but it still shows 3.7. Did you see it create folders when you did format or only once you connected to your PC? Also do you mind me asking when you connect to your pc are you moving files to it using Windows Explorer or are you using Desktop Manager, Media Manager? Any of these files on yours mp3's?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Mine showed the correct amount as well before I formatted it (1.8GB) but I formatted it anyway, and the format did created a folder structure on the card. And yes, I formatted it via Options > Media Card. Once the unit is connected it shows as a drive letter and I use Windows Explorer to put files on it. I have put MP3 files, pictures, and movies (.avi files).

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 11-26-2007 at 10:54 PM..
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
wesly

Thanks for the reply, I just did format and it came back with the same thing but I didn't it see it create any folder structure is there anyway on the bb I can see the folder structure or is it only visible when viewing in explorer? Sorry for the questions but I really appreciate all the quick answers.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

You will see the folder structure when you connect the device to the computer and access the drive letter.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
wesly

ahh got it thanks so much I'll play around with it some more after I get it connected. I really do appreciate all your feedback
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
eroq

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Default Slight tangent

What is the advantage, if any, other than the storage of music and other luxuries on a larger memory card?

If a a 2gb card improved performance, speed or what have you, I would get one in a heartbeat.

I don't plan to store music on my phone though.

It occurs to me that my 2000 contacts should be on there, maybe. Yet, I back those up by syncing to Outlook.

There appears to be not much space for photos. However, I have not really tweaked with those at all and may just be saving at some mega-resolution that I do not really require. This turned out to be the case with my Treo and other previous devices - I just reduced the resolution and went from something like a capacity of 16 pictures to 300 with absolutely no memory upgrade.

So, what gives?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroq View Post
What is the advantage, if any, other than the storage of music and other luxuries on a larger memory card?

If a a 2gb card improved performance, speed or what have you, I would get one in a heartbeat.

I don't plan to store music on my phone though.

It occurs to me that my 2000 contacts should be on there, maybe. Yet, I back those up by syncing to Outlook.

There appears to be not much space for photos. However, I have not really tweaked with those at all and may just be saving at some mega-resolution that I do not really require. This turned out to be the case with my Treo and other previous devices - I just reduced the resolution and went from something like a capacity of 16 pictures to 300 with absolutely no memory upgrade.

So, what gives?
I am in the same boat and have a 2gb card with only a few images. A waste.

BUT, there are those who want to use this to store their music and I guess with thousands of songs they need the extra space. I also know someone who store mission critical files on his device before he goes home everyday. I use a jump drive for that and it is WAY faster.

Any how what ever makes people happy. Some just want it!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
eroq

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Default That's Kind Of What I Figured

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I am in the same boat and have a 2gb card with only a few images. A waste.

BUT, there are those who want to use this to store their music and I guess with thousands of songs they need the extra space. I also know someone who store mission critical files on his device before he goes home everyday. I use a jump drive for that and it is WAY faster.

Any how what ever makes people happy. Some just want it!
Thanks for the input, Greg