BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #41
Malarky22
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know if preloaded images that are locked can be deleted?

Having 14MB free is huge. Can't seem to reach that. Is there a good way to see all of the files on the blackberry? I have tried the desktop manager, but was not successful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #42
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Yes you can I have deleted them and the voice dial since I don't use it and aslo ringtones.

Check here http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...mb-memory.html

And here down the bottom of the page http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...-4-2-only.html
Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #43
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I've never used the voice dialing feature so I just removed all the vad files to free up an additional MB of free memory. I removed all the pre loaded wallpapers when I first got my 8130 and now debating on removing the pre loaded ringtones and alerts also.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #44
Froad'r

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A

I don't think unloading applications has anything to do with the memory leak. Sure it increases memory but doesn't stop the leak.

I am having a serious problem with my memory leaking. I have to pull the battery every week to two weeks. I notice it because it erases my texts and call log. I have been checking it constantly and can't figure any cause but I can see it is less and less every time. Saw someone mention it might be opera mini. Can anyone conferm? I was also wondering if it could be that I leave movies or music half way played to where it is in the 'now playing' mode but I have no idea. I am going to have to figure something out soon.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #45
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froad'r View Post
I don't think unloading applications has anything to do with the memory leak. Sure it increases memory but doesn't stop the leak.

I am having a serious problem with my memory leaking. I have to pull the battery every week to two weeks. I notice it because it erases my texts and call log. I have been checking it constantly and can't figure any cause but I can see it is less and less every time. Saw someone mention it might be opera mini. Can anyone conferm? I was also wondering if it could be that I leave movies or music half way played to where it is in the 'now playing' mode but I have no idea. I am going to have to figure something out soon.
I would start looking at your third party applications. One of them may be consuming an abnormal amount. Most people are able to manage their memory after freeing some up and performing hard resets on a regular basis. Also, please take care on how you close programs. If you hit the Red End key it will simply place it in the background where it will continue to eat memory. To find out what you have running in the background press Alt +Esc. If you have more that the five base apps, you have extra apps running in the background. To properly close and application use the Escape key or Menu>End (Or Close). Never use the Red End key.

Good luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #46
itjunkie

I use that to see what's running. The problem I have is when I close the app. It will always come back when I hit Alt +Esc.

To find out what you have running in the background press To find out what you have running in the background press Alt +Esc. If you have more that the five base apps, you have extra apps running in the background. To properly close and application use the Escape key or Menu>End (Or Close). Never use the Red End key.
. If you have more that the five base apps, you have extra apps running in the background. To properly close and application use the Escape key or Menu>End (Or Close). Never use the Red End key.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #47
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjunkie View Post
I use that to see what's running. The problem I have is when I close the app. It will always come back when I hit Alt +Esc.

To find out what you have running in the background press To find out what you have running in the background press Alt +Esc. If you have more that the five base apps, you have extra apps running in the background. To properly close and application use the Escape key or Menu>End (Or Close). Never use the Red End key.
. If you have more that the five base apps, you have extra apps running in the background. To properly close and application use the Escape key or Menu>End (Or Close). Never use the Red End key.
Yes, of the base programs (5) will always be there and you can't close them. If you see MORE than 5 scroll over to the application highlight it. It will appear on the screen then use Escape or Menu>End to close it.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #48
Froad'r

Ok so i checked to see what was running in the background and i see what you mean but at the same time i can not get the browser, messeges, phone, todomatrix, or blackberry messenger to close or at least get off the list. I close them but when i check to see what is running in the background they are still there.

I dont get it!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #49
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Those 5 will not close, regardless.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #50
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froad'r View Post
Ok so i checked to see what was running in the background and i see what you mean but at the same time i can not get the browser, messeges, phone, todomatrix, or blackberry messenger to close or at least get off the list. I close them but when i check to see what is running in the background they are still there.

I dont get it!
If you don't have anything besides the base 5 applications then nothing else is running. I don't think todomatrix is one of the native applications though.

E-

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #51
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

todomatrix will run if loaded, I don't think it can be closed. Like BeamBerry can't be closed.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #52
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

JS,

Good information to know. Thank you!

E-

Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #53
Xyxyll

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hmm... I'm still having trouble with my emails and text messages disappearing. I'm floating around 8MB with just the basics running in the background. I'm pretty consistent about closing out of all the applications that I use, and I don't keep any pictures on the phone anymore due to the small on-board memory capacity.

Besides all of my emails disappearing, the phone is great. I just don't want to have to replace the phone if I don't have to, but I also don't want the 30 days to expire and end up "dealing" with a phone that will always delete my emails after a few hours.

Any suggestions besides a hardboot?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #54
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxyll View Post
Hmm... I'm still having trouble with my emails and text messages disappearing. I'm floating around 8MB with just the basics running in the background. I'm pretty consistent about closing out of all the applications that I use, and I don't keep any pictures on the phone anymore due to the small on-board memory capacity.

Besides all of my emails disappearing, the phone is great. I just don't want to have to replace the phone if I don't have to, but I also don't want the 30 days to expire and end up "dealing" with a phone that will always delete my emails after a few hours.

Any suggestions besides a hardboot?
Yes, increase your free memory so that you have some wiggle room! Review the post below and follow the instructions. Record your memory before you clean house and after the re-boot when you are finished. I think you will be amazed! Go for the un-used languages and sample video first!

E-

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #55
Ominx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

Is there a way to delete the stock images without running javaloader.exe? I'm on a Mac and it doesn't seem to run in VMWare.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #56
Froad'r

I am also still having a problem. I pulled the battery and started watching my running programs. Freeing up more memory is just a bandaid. A good bandaid but still a bandaid. I guess we will just have to wait for the next operating system update
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #57
Xyxyll

Just an update. Yesterday I noted every few hours my memory, and I have been sitting at 12-14MB since early yesterday. Strangely enough though, all of my emails before this morning (including SAVED ones) have disappeared! There's no way the BB is pissing because of low memory. Something else is up.

Does anyone know the solution, or is this something RIM simply needs to get cracking on?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #58
Xyxyll

Following up from the last post, I've still continued to lose my emails (yet my SMS's stay saved).

Is it possible that since the phone is defaulting to auto-reconcile (BIS) and I download all of the emails from my email server to my computer (thus wiping the email server), the BlackBerry is syncing with the empty email server and wiping my BlackBerry inbox?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #59
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Following up from the last post, I've still continued to lose my emails (yet my SMS's stay saved).

Is it possible that since the phone is defaulting to auto-reconcile (BIS) and I download all of the emails from my email server to my computer (thus wiping the email server), the BlackBerry is syncing with the empty email server and wiping my BlackBerry inbox?
Yes, I think that for you the messages are being deleted because of a server issue. 14mb is more than enough free memory. It's when you get down real low that you run the risk of running out (2mb or so). I've said this before, but we have 2 8100 pearls. With languages/video deleted we have about 29mb free after a pull. One levels out at about 19mb and never goes below that (months). Mine levels off at about 17mb and never goes lower. We both have Opera Mini.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #60
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:

Have you updated to the new Sprint O.S.