Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #141
S.oo3

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido
Default WI Fi options

Please Login to Remove!

hi
i just got the 8320 and i dont have a data plan. i was on the internet,but i wasnt able to find out if i got charged until later this month. i was just wondering how will i know i am using wifi correctly. i know im in a wifi area but that EDGE sign comes up and isnt that the something that you provider uses to go on the internet? what options do i have to set so i can use wifi and surf the net without getting charged???
Old 12-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #142
alorico
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Default wifi APN?

I tried snappy22's tip on telenav's application, by copying the line of code into the APN field. And it WORKED! so im trying to figure out if its possible to insert that same line into my TCP settings to get my 8820 to use wifi for everything. I was wondering if anyone knew what port number I should be using to access teh internet. Anyone know???

-thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #143
maccamb

Carrier: T-Mobile

You guys maybe onto something. I have been very frustrated with the inability to use my apps on pure-wifi. Unfortunately I am also uneducated about BB as the Curve is my first BB device. Would somebody mind postign how and where I am to add those lines of configuration, or at least point me to where I can learn more about how to do this?

Thanks v much in advance!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #144
alorico

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy22 View Post
Just so I make myself clear what I mean by pure-wifi and wifi-uma.

pure-wifi: Basically the crackberry uses WiFi natively for TCP/IP and doesn't use UMA/uma at all.

wifi-uma: Basically if youre using WiFi-uma (or uppercase UMA) all your traffic goes through the GSM data services. The GSM data/voice goes to your Wi-Fi and gets packaged using IPSec tunneling/encryption to a T-Mobile server, which then hands it off to the internet. So basically with WiFi-uma/UMA all your voice/data is proxied over to T-mobile (which probably leads to unnecessary hops and latency for data).

So far I have LogicMail, midpssh, and JmIRC working under pure-wifi and wifi-uma (actually JmIRC doesn't seem to work because wifi-uma/t-mobile doesn't seem to allow port 6667 traffic, it however can do IRC over smtp/imap/pop3/etc. ports no problem).

The wifi-uma settings were trivial, just make sure you set the TCP APN to wap.voicestream.com with a blank user/pass.

For logicmail and midpssh I used the following string (which has been posted earlier by someone):

E.g. for logicmail since I use IMAPS and SMTPS I use the following for my imap hostname (adjust for your own needs as necessary, e.g. port 139/25 if you use imap/smtp):

mail.my_company.com:993;DeviceSide=True;Connection UID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true

mail.my_company.com:465;DeviceSide=True;Connection UID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true

For midpssh:

mail.my_company.com:22;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionU ID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true

For JmIRC:

irc.mzima.net:6667;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true

Also disable the use of MDS proxies when using pure-wifi, but enable them for WiFi-uma.

I hope this helps someone in the same pathetic situation as myself, no data plans, no nothing. Just a phone that is capable of wireless and almost all apps don't support them. Heh.

basically, you can add
";DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true"

to any application that lets you specify APN and port number.

For example, I managed to get ramble IM to work by going into Options>Ramble IM and setting network connection to "Device Default" and pasting the above line after the default host and port:

toc.oscar.aol.com:8080;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionU ID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true

Last edited by alorico; 12-13-2007 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #145
maccamb

I have a 8320 and the top level graphical menu has an icon for "Options"; I could not find one for "Settings". Should I be looking at Options->Advanced Options->Applications? If so then I must be out of luck since most of my apps (Gmail, GMaps etc) dont have an options to change those APN settings.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #146
alorico

yea, i meant Options...

and youre right, I dont think any Google apps allow any changes to APN settings. It seems that only very basic applications have that option.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #147
maccamb

Thanks!
Hmmm... strange, LogicMail 0.3.1 does not provide an option to change the APN. I tried Options->Advanced Options->Applications->LogicMail 0.3.1
The screen shows me
Description:
Verison: 0.3.1
Vendor: Derek Konigsberg
Modules:
LogicMail
Hitting the menu key gives me: Edit Permissions, Call VoiceMail, Switch Application Close. So how did you guys alter this for LogicMail.

Also what are your "Options->SecurityOptions->TLS Default" settings?

I am using v4.2.2.180 (Platform 2.5.0.36) on the 8320
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #148
alorico

take a look at sonny22's post. its explained pretty detailed there. you basically add the code at the end of the incoming and outgoing server address when you setup your email account
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #149
maccamb

So I followed your instructions and configured the outgoing and incoming mail server addresses accordingly. Something else is holding up LogicMail - it says "Connecting to Server" and then eventually returns with an "I/O Error". Aaargh this is frustrating - I am sure there is a TLS Proxy or Service Book etc setting that is messing things up.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #150
snappy22

Carrier: T-mobile
Default I/O error in logicmail with pure-wifi or wifi-uma

If you get an I/O Error. Quit the application, and if you're using wifi-uma (or even edge (lowercase)) select your profile that doesnt have the appended string for pure-wifi.

If you're using wifi use your profile for wifi-servers etc. It seems to get confused when you switch back and forth. Kind of annoying, but just quit and relaunch.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #151
damatrix

Model: 7290
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by alorico View Post
basically, you can add
";DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true"

to any application that lets you specify APN and port number.

For example, I managed to get ramble IM to work by going into Options>Ramble IM and setting network connection to "Device Default" and pasting the above line after the default host and port:

toc.oscar.aol.com:8080;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionU ID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
that last line there so then would i be using wap data? or does that still route though pure-wifi?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #152
maccamb

snappy22,
I tried what you said assuming by profiles you mean the account settings. I use LogicMail exclusively with a POP a/c on pure-wifi and exiting and restarting did not resolve the problem. Is there a means of debugging the connection or message exchange on the BB? I would love to have LogicMail work!
Thanks!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #153
maccamb

snappy22 - I shd correct myself. The I/O Error went away but LogicMail returns an empty list of messages that I know is not correct.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #154
snappy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamb View Post
snappy22 - I shd correct myself. The I/O Error went away but LogicMail returns an empty list of messages that I know is not correct.
Honestly the only way to debug the connection is either look at the source code to see what it's doing, or if you're like me, then you have one of those fancy consumer wireless access points (like the linksys wrt54gs) which can run opensource distributions of linux geared towards the consumer router market (openwrt, ddwrt, etc.). So I usually just ssh to my linksys and tcpdump the traffic and see what the blackberry is doing.

But putting all technical things aside. Maybe it's polling POP only for NEW messages. I forget how POP works, but based on UIDL(?) it checks to see if it's a message that hasn't been read or not. Try sending yourself a fresh new email, and don't check it with any email client before you check it with your crackberry. See what happens. -- I use my crackberry with IMAP so I don't know how POP will work.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #155
snappy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.oo3 View Post
hi
i just got the 8320 and i dont have a data plan. i was on the internet,but i wasnt able to find out if i got charged until later this month. i was just wondering how will i know i am using wifi correctly. i know im in a wifi area but that EDGE sign comes up and isnt that the something that you provider uses to go on the internet? what options do i have to set so i can use wifi and surf the net without getting charged???
If you see wifi-uma then you're using wifi-uma (but you if you setup your programs to use pure-wifi then they will use pure-wifi).

If you see wifi and no uma/UMA, then I guess you're on just wifi (it's like saying you're connected to a network with no reception for phone/data services (sms)).

And if you see signal+edge, well you're on edge. Luck you get uppercase EDGE. I think that means you can send/receive data no probs.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #156
bukzin

PIN: 2424617f
Carrier: ATT (unlocked)

Sign up for data plan, as this will download ALL the service books... Cancel the data plan the next day (will cost you like .80 cents for the one day) and make sure they add the BlackBerry Enabler Feature back on when you cancel the data plan...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the way, is "Blackberry Enabler Feature" a T-Mobile deal, or can I add
it to my ATT service. I have unlimited data on my 8100.

Also, should GTalk be showing up in my list under Service Books?

TIA,

Curve8320 ATT
Ver. 4.2.2171
PIN # 2424617f
Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #157
mak618

Does anyone know where to make these changes ?

Thanks,
Mak

EDIT: Never mind.. got it ..
however there seems to be another issue happening .. I am trying to configure my multiple gmail accounts to work with Logic Mail using IMAP
I have the the settings as specified in the above post. Here's what I see

1. I can connect to my account and look at the email headers
2. I can open some messages. For some others it gives Unknown error (is this related to the size of the message ?)
3. I cannot send an email out. It just sits there on connecting.. or sometimes on sending message. I'm sure that I've got the server settings rite except for the part where it says authentication. .. What method do I select ? (NONE. PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5)

Edit 2: Worked... had the incorrect port settings for smtp..

If any one could tell me what the settings should be I would appreciate it ..

Thanks

Last edited by mak618; 12-21-2007 at 01:20 AM..
Old 12-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #158
mak618

Still get this though for some message..
"I can open some messages. For some others it gives Unknown error (is this related to the size of the message ?)"

Last edited by mak618; 12-21-2007 at 02:47 PM..
Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #159
sharpie00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi folks,

Lots of good information in this thread. took me about 2 hours to go through the entire thing. A couple of members posted a question which I didn't see an answer for. Can you send SMS Text messages over WiFi without the data plan?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #160
CurvyBerry

I've briefly read over this thread and I've gathered the following. Some can and can not connect via wi-fi/uma etc. I own a 8320 without a data plan. I'm able to surf the Internet on wi-fi with zero problems. I also called T-Mobile several times and they assured me that you DO NOT need data to use BB Messenger... They assured my its a BB to BB feature. Any input on this is welcomed..

Curvy
Closed Thread