BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
johnreynolds

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default TMobile sold me a defective Curve....

Please Login to Remove!

I've been a TMobile Bberry customer for four years, and purchased a new Curve when they first became available at a TMobile store, paying full retail (without service contract commitment).
Initially, the battery life was very short--about 2 days. I got a new battery, and the problem persisted, and in fact worsened to the point that the curve only lasts 1 to 1 1/2 days on a full charge.
Additionally, after turning off the Curve at night and then back on in the morning , I don't receive any e mails until after I take out the battery and go through the "verifying security software" routine.
I called T Mobile "customer care." They acknowledge the defects, but say that national returns will send out a replacement, which may well be a used reconditioned curve. I don't want to receive someone else's problem device. Having paid over $500 for a new one just two months ago, shouldn't they stand behind what they sold? I asked for a manager, who only agreed that "their process is under review" and wouldn't blame me for changing carriers as a result, which I threatened to do.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the Forums, John.

Two days, one and half days, are all good battery times for the 83xx BlackBerrys. To expect more is unreasonable. One full day is normal.

As a matter of fact, it IS recommended that you top off your battery during the day and charge it each evening. That is what most people do. Do NOT let it drain to 15-20% each time, or you will have a crappy battery.

Read more here: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

Honestly, it sounds like you are pretty angry about all this, and TMo can sense it. They can't make the battery better. You can with better battery practices, like making sure background applications are closed, etc.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yep... And you don't say what you are doing or what you signal strength is at various times through the day. I'm using an 8700, of course, but my battery will vary. I can run it down in a day, or arrive home with the indicator only down one notch at the end of the day, all depending.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Correct. Ever since my 7100t, I've charged the battery when I can during the day and always every night, never has my battery run out on me. The most I've ever been without a charge was almost 2 days (on my 8100) and I was still at 25%.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

If the battery life still doesn't suit you, then you can purchase an extended battery to give you more time. Seidio sells a 1300mAh, 1500mAh and 2600mAh battery for the Curve. People have said that the 1500mAh (which does not require a new battery door) battery has given them a good boost in battery life when they need it.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Demon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304fcd63

Your Curve has been used two months, why should they give you another brand new one? A refurb should be just fine and I doubt you would even be able to spot a difference. As far as battery life, as already stated, it is normal. If the oem battery does not suit your needs I suggest purchasing an extended life battery.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
johnreynolds

Carrier: tmobile
Default thanks for your responses

I understand the battery issues.
I do believe that not being able to get any e mails (after its been turned off), unless and until the battery is physically removed and security software verified, shows that something is wrong with the device--beyond the battery life concern.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have seen the data issue before. I don't believe your device is defective. I think you just see the bug more because you are in the very small percentage of people who power the phone off. Battery life seems in check.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

That is probably a SIM or low signal issue. Pulling the battery to reboot is the RIM-recommended way to re-establish the connection. Check our FAQs or RIM Knowledge Base if you need backup on that.

Instead of pulling the battery to re-establish the connection, try going to Manage Connections > Mobile Network. scroll over the Mobile Network line, press the space key to uncheck the box, wait for the signal to read OFF, and recheck it. Often that will do what you need.

Also, honestly, don't turn off your BB. There is no need to. The only times I ever is when ask upon take off and landing in aircraft. Just put it on silent or vibrate or whatever, use the Profiles as they were intended and put your BB to full use.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Rev. Po-Jay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

I just picked up the new Seido 1600mAh Lithium battery. Fits in the OEM case and lasts considerably longer.
Also, for better battery life, you can shut off things like Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use. That should help with your up time.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Cea

Model: 8300
Carrier: Mobistar

I do power off my curve each night. When i power it on in the morning my mails are coming in without any problem.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cea View Post
I do power off my curve each night. When i power it on in the morning my mails are coming in without any problem.
I have experienced what the OP has stated but for the most part it has never been an issue. I agree with the above post about Memory or SIM issue.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

I understand the whole thing about trading in your 2 month old "bought new" Curve for a refurb'd Curve but really...that's common practice with ALL of the carriers. Even Apple does this now with the iPhones. You aren't really going to find a better solution with Verizon, AT&T or anyone else for that matter. However, you aren't guaranteed to get a refurb'd unit. Sometimes, you will get a brand-new unit. It's really just not easy to tell.

I had my 8320 for about 2 months and the USB port died on it. I swapped it out for a refurb (I think, can't really tell). The only thing I noticed different about my replacement unit was that the little "WiFi" image that was on the top of my original unit was missing on the replacement one. It has WiFi, of course...just not the small image. Big deal.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
blade28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Ah, thought you had the same problem I had (T-Mobile Curve wouldn't turn on). :(
Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
TMO-CJ

Carrier: T-Mobile

Try going into screen/keyboard option and lowering the brightness of your display to a level thats comfortable but lower than what you have. You can also adjust the duration of time the display stays on. I've found that keeping bluetooth and wifi off except when I need them helps also. Make sure your not using a razr or other charger thats not specifically for the BB, I work for t-mobile (dont be a hatr!) and have found that people think just cause the charger fits that it works. A different or substandard charger can reak havoc on a phone. As far as your email goes, sending the service books from MyTmobile can help. Depending on the type of account, like gmail for instance, log in on your p.c. and go into your settings and enable pop 3, then delete the account from your BB and set it up once again. Hope that helps!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #16
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreynolds View Post
I've been a TMobile Bberry customer for four years, and purchased a new Curve when they first became available at a TMobile store, paying full retail (without service contract commitment).
Initially, the battery life was very short--about 2 days. I got a new battery, and the problem persisted, and in fact worsened to the point that the curve only lasts 1 to 1 1/2 days on a full charge.
Additionally, after turning off the Curve at night and then back on in the morning , I don't receive any e mails until after I take out the battery and go through the "verifying security software" routine.
I called T Mobile "customer care." They acknowledge the defects, but say that national returns will send out a replacement, which may well be a used reconditioned curve. I don't want to receive someone else's problem device. Having paid over $500 for a new one just two months ago, shouldn't they stand behind what they sold? I asked for a manager, who only agreed that "their process is under review" and wouldn't blame me for changing carriers as a result, which I threatened to do.
BEFORE you change carriers, note that this is standard practive amoung ALL the carriers!
Closed Thread