Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
capncrunch

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers wireless
Default help - unable to add contacts

Please Login to Remove!

I run vista, just downloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager ver 4.3 (0.15) Aug 15th 2007

I can see pictures etc. so I know they are connected - I just got the phone and dred having to add every number through the blackberry keyboard

this software just give 5 options Media Manager is the closest but seems like it does not allow me access to tasks, to do, contacts etc.

help....
(I love my new curve)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You do not manage PIM info in Desktop Manager. You do it in an application, such as Outlook, and Desktop Manager syncs that with the blackberry.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
capncrunch

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers wireless

thanks at least I understand the concept now

I don 't want all my contacts downloaded to the b berry so I guess I will edit a new version of outlook - anybody see this as a downside? - as only my blackberry email address goes to my blackberry I would love the option of just adding "name" and "number" like an old school phone

thanks for the help!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You should never use the BB email address for anything, unless of course you want tons of SPAM.

Here are several reasons why you shouldn't use it.

1. The aforementioned SPAM. It has no SPAM filter.

2. The only way to read email sent to that account is via the bB. If and when there is an outage, you have no email.

3. You do not control that address and it can change at any time.

4. You can't take it with you when you change carriers.

Also, since I see that you are new to the boards, and presumably new to the BB world, I suggest that you read the FAQ and Stinsondog's tips. These will provide much valuable information and will most likely answer many questions.

Also, most of us here do not recommend using Desktop Manager 4.3 as it is still a bit buggy at the moment. Ver 4.2 SP2 seems to be the best right now.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I don't see the logic of not syncing all contacts. I just don't see a reason not to do it; plus the idea of the blackberry, as it is with a PDA, is to have you address book with you in a easily accessible form. That is the blackberry. The address book is very useable. I have 1000+ contacts and there are users with 1000s with no problems.

Don't know what you mean by only your blackberry address goes to your blackberry. Is this by choice? You can set up multiple accounts in BIS.

I mostly agrees with Dubdub above. Don't use your @carrier.blackberry.net address for internet registrations, online purchases, and that sort of thing. Yahoo or gmail email would be good for those things. I use my tmobile email for friends and colleagues and certain purposes where I want the push email and don't want to be concerned with a temporary delay glitch occurring with Yahoo.