BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
JinFocker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Default 8130-video streaming--finally its here!

Please Login to Remove!

QuickPlay Media Introduces First Free Streaming Video Service for BlackBerry Smartphones
8:30 AM ET - BusinessWire

QuickPlay Media, a leader in mobile TV and video solutions today announced the availability of VideoStreams, the first free (a) video streaming service for BlackBerry(R) smartphones from Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM). The streaming video service features a variety of entertainment content, including music videos, comedy, horoscopes and extreme sports, and is available immediately to customers in the United States and Canada.

VideoStreams is initially available on the BlackBerry(R) Pearl(TM) 8130 smartphone to subscribers on North American wireless carrier networks that support EVDO (b), such as Sprint Nextel, Bell Mobility, Telus Mobility and Alltel Wireless. Eligible customers can visit Video on Your BlackBerry using the BlackBerry(R) Browser to download the VideoStreams application over the air and to start using the service right away. Videos are streamed to the smartphone so there are no long waits to view the content, and unlike download services, no additional on-device storage is required. The service also includes a "send to a friend" feature to allow users to share video clips with friends and family.

QuickPlay currently offers streaming audio services for BlackBerry smartphones via QuickPlayer Audio, the first audio streaming service introduced for the BlackBerry platform. QuickPlay also offers a white label video streaming solution for mobile operators that enables them to provide a custom branded service to their customers with content from their partners, from QuickPlay partners, or from a combination of both.

"The mobile market is exploding - with new applications, devices, and services introduced to the world each day - and RIM is a company at the forefront of this rapidly changing marketplace," said Wayne Purboo, CEO and co-founder, QuickPlay Media. "We are excited to continue our history of innovation by being the first to offer BlackBerry smartphone customers free access to our high quality video services."

"BlackBerry smartphones are attracting a wider range of mobile customers who want to use more personal applications and entertainment services," said Jeff McDowell, vice president, Global Alliances at Research In Motion. "In turn, this trend is attracting a new class of developer partners, like QuickPlay, who are creating consumer and lifestyle applications that deliver new experiences for BlackBerry smartphone users."

QuickPlay's VideoStreams service will be available worldwide to more regions and mobile operators as additional BlackBerry smartphones that support streaming video are rolled out on various wireless networks

(a) Wireless data usage charges may apply. Check with your wireless carrier.

(b) Where permitted by wireless carrier. Check with your wireless carrier.

About QuickPlay Media

QuickPlay Media provides content management and service delivery solutions for mobile television and video services. The QuickPlay OpenVideo(TM) platform offers maximum flexibility and streamlined application integration for mobile operators, media companies and technology partners. OpenVideo works in many different mobile content ecosystems, seamlessly operating with major search, advertising, billing and user interface frameworks. QuickPlay Media Inc. has offices in Toronto, San Francisco and London. For complete information, please visit QuickPlay Media - Home.

The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM assumes no liability and makes no representation, warranty or guarantee in relation to third party products or services.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

thanks Jin, good find.

I am going to move this post over to the Media section but leave it linked in the 8100 for a good while.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
JinFocker

***freezes my phone...anyone else?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Ya it did a few times, you also need to be on O.S. 4.3. But it kinda stinks because there is not much in the way of content.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
JinFocker

downloaded it, but cant get passed the permissions part. does anyone have success with this?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i have used it on the 8130 from Vzw. Its very limited but a nice little app. It has a great deal of promise to it, but needs to be refined a bit more.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I'll give it a shot on my VZW Pearl...but it may be that VZW blocks this. VZW is starkly absent from the list of carriers mentioned on their site...

I watched one "comedy" vid...frightenly bad and unfunny content, and the video got stuck and paused just like with most other video streams I've tried...

I'll play around w/it a little bit, but if what I saw is representative of the general quality of the content, I don't think this will keep a lot of eyeballs, even for those for whom it plays smoothly.
Closed Thread