BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

My Caramel apple cider is great, but I have no UMA. Lasted for about thirty seconds.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:31 AM   #22
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've had various problems during the past few days; looking at the details under wifi diagnostics (Manage Connections, WiFi Options, Menu, WiFi Diagnostics) showed it with T-Mobile or ISP errors and attempting to use punc.t-mobileuncs.com. Attempting to traceroute to there appeared to end somewhere in NY on a carrier's network, so I figured that T-Mobile was having connectivity issues.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

My Caramel apple cider is great, but I have no UMA. Lasted for about thirty seconds.
If you don't get UMA at a Starbucks then something is wrong with the network or with your phone. Definitely let TMobile know you can't get UMA at a Starbucks either.

I was in South Carolina at a Hilton Garden this morning and had UMA with no problem. I'm at an Embassy Suites in Las Vegas tonight and, while I can connect to my travel router just fine, UMA doesn't pop right in. When I check wifi diagnostics it says UMA connection successful but it still says EDGE. So, I turned off the mobile connection and UMA popped up and stays. However, the hotel ISP is slow (must be lots of users on) and the call breaks up.

Your ISP can have a lot to do with UMA. Where are you located?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #24
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

John I'm in NYC, and oddly enough, it popped back on this morning and has been consistent. they were so insistent that it wasn't the network, but if it was the phone it would still be out right? oh well. I'll be glad it popped back up.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

I was having a similar problem for the past couple of days. During the Wifi diagnostic test it would show everything working but no UMA. Sometimes I would get the connection error. I just did a "restore default settings", of course lost all the saved wifi connections, but after a quick scan the UMA started working and has been all day.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I'm still having the issue where it says EDGE on the home screen but under diagnostics it says UMA connection successful. If I turn off the mobile network, UMA comes up. It's set to "Wifi Preferred" in Mobile Network too. It's strange but I attributed it to the hotel. Are others experiencing this too?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #27
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

I have the same. It shows UMA connection successful but on the home screen nothing. For some reason I have to keep my mobile network off. This last time I had to do a restore defaults and that cleared it up. (kind of like tapping on the glass to get the N1 needle moving I guess)
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #28
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Ha ha!! Tapped on a few N1 guages in my time.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #29
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
TTOTY=Thread Title of the Year
+1 Very clever.

I'm REALLY getting fed up with my H@H "voodoo tricks" I have to go thru to keep a rock-solid connection. What's even more frustrating is I see posts from others with identical equipment who have zero problems. It's enough to make me want to scream.

UMA, IMHO, is beta right now. I keep telling myself that. And I try to ignore that I'm paying $10 a month for it.

I have:

8320 w/Tmo service plus H@H add-on
Tmo's Linksys router (I had the identical router and got theirs as part of the freebie-after-rebate deal)
Current OS upgrades
Fast DSL connection
Jawbone, BlueAnt and Motorola Bluetooth headsets

With or without any bluetooth running the same time as H@H, I still get:

-Dropped calls...call will drop out of H@H, hang up, then return me to EDGE connectivity sans my caller.
-Phone just reboots in middle of call sometimes
-Bluetooth will go dead if I'm using it, caller still there, I'll switch to earpiece, THEN the phone will reboot

I'm on my second 8320. Does this with either of two different batteries, with a memory card in/out, naked and fully stocked with themes and 3rd party apps.

Basically.....I think I'm the ONLY USER who can't get H@H to work reliably in the universe.

I'm cursed. Where's the tylenol?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #30
msurrency
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil
Angry Folk's it's TMobile

There has been a known issue at T mobile since at least Sunday. I have called every day this week and they are having a massive outage. I am lucky to make one phone call a day. (W006 errors) I am about to take it all back after trying to use a Curve and a Samsung with very inconsistent results. This service is not ready for prime time.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #31
jeffro01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2277C472
Carrier: At&t (Company)

It could very well be something going on with your ISP. That is the one variable that seems to be overlooked a lot. Who is your ISP? (sorry if i have missed it)

Jeff

EDIT: I have had almost 0 issues with HS@H over the past week.... FWIW
Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #32
msurrency

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil

Not the ISP QWESt because a low end Nokia I brought home from work is working fine. Tmobile H@Home said today that it is more than 90% of the calls they are seeing. No ETA for a fix it appears to only be effecting certain users but they did describe it as a GLOBAL OUTAGE.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #33
yanks731

Model: 9700

Guys,

First thing is that the 8320 doesn't work with the Apple router but it should work with every other brand, the T-mobile router is supposed to make the battery last longer on the phone though. Secondly, if you have upgraded from a previous BB then you will be missing 2 important files in your "certificate" menu because your certificate are over-written adn the new files required for UMA aren't there. If you go to your "certificate" menu in the Options menu you will see "T-Mobile USA, Inc. Root CA" and "T-Mobile USA, Inc. Engineering and Operations". If you dont have these files then you can download then from the BB home website from your Browser and the first message is on how to troubleshoot it and download the files. Let me know if this helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #34
pyrosee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

There is an outtage. I thought it was just me, I posted a thread in the Wi-Fi area. I called monday and was elevated to H@H support, I was informed that "the engineers" were making some changes to improve access point handovers. I was given 300 minutes for my trouble. I was told the outtage was supposed to be back today, however as of 5pm I still had no UMA. (Portland, Or)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #35
tlennox

Default Dropping my calls repeatedly

I had a linksys router, my BB would make calls with no issue while Wi-Fi was enabled. I bought an Apple router (airport extreme) and now whenever my Wi-Fi is enabled, my phone tries to make a call and fails immediately every time. If I turn off Wi-Fi, everything works fine on EDGE. Wi-Fi still works great for web/data purposes.

Is there a way that I can leave my Wi-Fi on and instruct the BB to only use the Wi-Fi for data, but make all calls over the mobile network? I have found the "Wi-Fi preferred" setting and changed it to "Moble Network Preferred" to fix the call problem, but then I'm not using the Wi-Fi for web/data, which is stupid.

Help?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #36
John Clark
BBF Moderator

When I change my Mobile Network settings to Mobile Network preferred, I can still use wifi for web/data. What OS are you using? If it's 4.2.2.171 then I suggest updating.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #37
tlennox

I tried updating my OS to .184 to see if it would solve my problem. It did not. I get the UMA icon on my screen when I power on wi-fi, then when I initiate a call, it immediately changes to the EDGE bars and then the call is dropped. Every time.

This is a router issue I have since discovered. My GF has the same Linksys router I used to have, and UMA worked fine over her connection, just not at home with my Airport Extreme router.

Has anyone else been able to solve this problem with an 8320 and an AEBS?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #38
tlennox

I now see that nobody has a solution to this that seems to work for more than that 1 person.

I'm going to ask a different question: Short of deleting my UMA service books, is there any way to deactivate UMA service without deactivating Wi-Fi for data? The only way my phone will not drop calls at home is if I go in and power down the wi-fi connection, and I'm getting sick of having to change that setting so often/forgetting that Wi-Fi is on, and hanging up on whoever is calling.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

The wifi BB's are known to have issues with the Airport Extreme N router. Your best bet is to get another router. Linksys WRT54GS is a good one and works great with the 8320.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #40
hd12

Carrier: tmo
Angry So it isn't just me!!!

@Runamuck - I have all your same issues!

I realize that UMA is a new commercial application of technology and am willing to be patient with things like handovers, which failed from GSM to UMA for 3 months until they made changes about 2 weeks ago. (I don't even bother the other direction)

However the dance that i have to go through and the amount of time spent looking at this forum (thank goodness you all are here), has put me over the edge, related to the UMA service / handset.
I can't have a decent conversation without the phone rebooting mid conversation, on a daily basis. (UMA only)

When i move from GSM to UMA the phone hangs, for minutes about 80% of the time. On the few occasions it has actually handed off, it drops all of UMA mid conversation within minutes of the hand off, then takes 5 or 6 minutes to reaquire, if I don't strip the battery which i do on a daily basis.

If i am on the phone and email rolls in, I lose call quality while that is occuring. (again my general complaints are related to UMA handset issues, which i seperate from the UMA service issues, which is a whole other conversation)

On the phone with black berry right now... and asked if the bluetooth / uma conflict issue is fact or fiction, the answer: "neither" - Classic!

Anyway if i can get the device to work, i would be a lot happier. It definatley seems to have more issues as time goes on, which could be directly related to my decrease in patience.
Closed Thread