BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
disconnekt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question vibrate + ring option: not what I expected!?!?

Please Login to Remove!

I just received my 7100t yesterday so I'm officially a noob. I set up the default profile to ring AND vibrate for both holster and no-holster modes (can't figure out how to disable the holster mode completely as I will never use a holster). However, when someone calls, the phone first vibrates twice, then rings once, then vibrates twice again and rings once again. So, all in all, two rings only. Meaning that if I set my phone down and walk away from it, I probably won't hear those measly two rings (the first of which doesn't even sound until the caller's 3rd ring). Is there any way to have the BB ring and vibrate at the same time? I hope so, otherwise I'll be really tempted to return the phone.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

I don't know of a way to make it do both at the same time, but you can set the number of rings to 1, 2 or 3 and you can draw it out even more by selecting the type of ring that you're using. Instead of a beep, I'm using a two-second ringtone.

In Holster has a "none" option. I'd imagine that would pretty much shut it off...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
jasonb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah, that was a suprise to me too. I have mine set to just ring now. The only time that I use the vibrate is if I am in a movie or a meeting or something.

PIN - 202F0651
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
bjallen2880
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnekt
I just received my 7100t yesterday so I'm officially a noob. I set up the default profile to ring AND vibrate for both holster and no-holster modes (can't figure out how to disable the holster mode completely as I will never use a holster). However, when someone calls, the phone first vibrates twice, then rings once, then vibrates twice again and rings once again. So, all in all, two rings only. Meaning that if I set my phone down and walk away from it, I probably won't hear those measly two rings (the first of which doesn't even sound until the caller's 3rd ring). Is there any way to have the BB ring and vibrate at the same time? I hope so, otherwise I'll be really tempted to return the phone.
I can tell from what you are saying that you most likely used to have a Nokia phone before joining the world of the BlackBerry. Sorry to say, but Nokia appears to be the only folks that have figured out how to make a phone RING and VIBRATE at the same time. I've had Moto, Samsung, Nokia, and RIM. Nokia was the only that did both at the same time; the rest vibrated first then rang.

Best thing I could suggest is use your holster - when you want vibrate, keep it in the holster; when you want ring so you can hear it when you are away from it, keep it out of the holster.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
Grammer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Just going out on a limb here, but if vibrating and ringing at the same time is such a requirement that you're thinking about taking the device back, I don't think you purchased the correct device in the first place. I may be wrong but you might want to rethink where your priorities lie.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
ZBB

Carrier: Cingular

I was generally surprised at how RIM implemented phone rings... Very unusual. They have a bit more benchmarking to do before this is a great phone and a great email/mobile web device. The 7100s are very good as is, but there are some little improvements that they could make that would make it more phone-like, especially for those of us that are coming from the phone-only world.

On my last two Sony Ericsons, I had them set to ring and vibrate. The vibrate would start fractionally before the ring, but would continue into the ring. Seems pretty normal thing to me when you select an option to ring and vibrate...

Here are a few other features RIM should add:
- Ring Until Answer -- every other phone in the world works like this standard!
- Auto-keyboard lock -- I know the BB can do this, but it REQUIRES a password to unlock. My previous Nokias and SEs were able to lock the keys after a delay, then take a 2-button push. The password is a nice feature, but why is it forced? Please remember that no everyone wants to cary a phone around in a holster (I tired it and hated it).
- Alarm -- keep the repeating alarm, but add a one-time set alarm that you don't have go back into the options to turn it off. Also add an "unlimited" rings -- I always use my phone as an alarm when I travel (I don't trust wake-up calls or hotel alarm clocks), and I'm always scared I'll sleep through the BB alarms limit of 3 rings...

Anyway -- all are pretty minor things, but sometimes its the little things that matter...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
jasonb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah, I had a nokia before this and mine did both. I wonder why they are the only one that does that. But, I use my BB to much to get rid of it for that.

PIN - 202F0651
Old 08-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

mine locks when i holster it I just press the trackwheel a pop up comes up unlock i hit trackwheel again and boom I am in no password
Old 08-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dawg's right. You can scratch the Auto-keyboard lock off your list. One down, two to go...
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
disconnekt

OK, interesting points everyone. Firstly, I'm migrating from a Treo 600 which, like Nokias and SEs and several other brands, can vibrate and ring at the same time. Maybe it's not a deal-breaker for me, but it's pretty damn inconvenient. The auto-keylock is another feature I was shocked not to find on the 7100. I definitely don't want to password-protect my phone (who wants to type a password every time they go to use the phone?), and I don't want to use a holster either (I'm a girl and I carry my phone in the little cell phone pocket of my purse). Another good point made by ZBB is the lack of a one-time alarm. This is also something I really need! I don't use daily alarms—in fact, the only time I set alarms is for one-time use.
I'm really pleased with the 7100 in a lot of ways, but the lack of these features, especially when added up, really takes away from the phone's user-frendliness.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Bawdygard
Thumbs Must Hurt

"The auto-keylock is another feature I was shocked not to find on the 7100. I definitely don't want to password-protect my phone (who wants to type a password every time they go to use the phone?), and I don't want to use a holster either (I'm a girl and I carry my phone in the little cell phone pocket of my purse)."

Have you tried holding down the * key? That locks the keyboard until you depress the trackwheel or the * key and Send key simultaneously...
Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
bjallen2880
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None

Quote:
OK, interesting points everyone. Firstly, I'm migrating from a Treo 600 which, like Nokias and SEs and several other brands, can vibrate and ring at the same time. Maybe it's not a deal-breaker for me, but it's pretty damn inconvenient. The auto-keylock is another feature I was shocked not to find on the 7100. I definitely don't want to password-protect my phone (who wants to type a password every time they go to use the phone?), and I don't want to use a holster either (I'm a girl and I carry my phone in the little cell phone pocket of my purse). Another good point made by ZBB is the lack of a one-time alarm. This is also something I really need! I don't use daily alarms—in fact, the only time I set alarms is for one-time use.
I'm really pleased with the 7100 in a lot of ways, but the lack of these features, especially when added up, really takes away from the phone's user-frendliness.
If you want a one-time alarm, why not just set what time you need it for as a calendar entry?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #13
disconnekt

Thanks for the suggestions, but you guys seem to be missing the point: the missing features mentioned here are simple, common features that BlackBerry really SHOULD have!
I was aware that I could hold down * to lock the keyboard, but having to remember to do this every time I put the phone down or in my bag is not realistic or simple. The keyword of "auto keylock" is AUTO. A lot of phones—in fact most—have this feature. It's a no-brainer.
Secondly, I could create a calendar entry for every alarm, but then I'd have these "appointments" duplicated on my computer's iCal after every sync. OK, I could erase them once the alarm has gone off, but this is about equivalent to going into the Alarm app to cancel it.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawdygard
Dawg's right. You can scratch the Auto-keyboard lock off your list. One down, two to go...
Nope -- need the feature to work WITHOUT the holster. I realize it works with the holster, but I refuse to wear a holster. They need to add a lock after x seconds type feature (I'd probably set it to ~15 seconds after the screen blanks), then able to unlock without a password. Or at a minimum, make the password on the current auto-lock optional...

Last edited by ZBB; 08-03-2005 at 12:19 PM..
Old 08-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawdygard
"The auto-keylock is another feature I was shocked not to find on the 7100. I definitely don't want to password-protect my phone (who wants to type a password every time they go to use the phone?), and I don't want to use a holster either (I'm a girl and I carry my phone in the little cell phone pocket of my purse)."

Have you tried holding down the * key? That locks the keyboard until you depress the trackwheel or the * key and Send key simultaneously...
Yep... and I use that instead because there isn't a timer to lock it. But sometimes I forget, and a button is hit while its in my pocket. Would be nice to have a timer...
Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #16
ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjallen2880
If you want a one-time alarm, why not just set what time you need it for as a calendar entry?
That doesn't quite work, since it would use the calendar reminder sound. My alarm sound is much more annoying than my calendar reminder sound
Old 08-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #17
ZBB

Quote:
Thats exactly how I feel too. Some very minor improvements to the BB would make it a very competitive phone, that just happens to have the best mobile email at its core. Right now its still primarily an email device, that happens to have an OK phone. I'm one that needs a good phone first, and email second. As it is the 7100 phone capabilities minimally meet what I need it to do and the gaps are minor inconveniences that really shouldn't be there...
Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #18
morser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I do lock my 7100. When i need to carry my berry on a night out, it's ALMOST thin enough to fit in a front pocket without being a bulg. But it has slipped out of my pocket one or twice. Let's not forget, especially if you have a BES server behind your Blackberry, that your blackberry is an *IN* into your companies network! The more advanced the O/S versions and the TCP/IP stack on the berrys become, the more dangerous it is to let Joe or Jane Employee walk around with an unlocked Blackberry. Forget firewall, there isn't one between your BES blackberry and your companies network.
When your Berry is locked your owner information comes up (configurable in Options>Owner.
My OWNER information says,
"This Phone is useless to you,
Call xxx-xxx-xxxx Collect,
reward if returned."
Closed Thread