BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #21
613otjatt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido

Please Login to Remove!

hi i am new to this forum and hopefully looking to get some help.

again, as many of the people here...i am in the same boat. I have the 7mb bb Connect option for my tmobile unlocked 8320. Here is my situation in sequence:

1)when i first got this option added, i got a text msg saying that "your blackberry has been registered with the network."
2) I then proceeded to follow the guidlines to create a new email account through the email options icon but it came up saying that this PIN is already in use.
3) I called up Fido and wasnt given much info on wether my pin was showing up on their system (they were saying that they dont support the phone etc etc)
4) I contacted the person who i bought the phone from (on ebay) and he himself contacted Tmobile to see if the PIN had been released. Oddly, Tmobile did a active PIN search or something, and it came up that my PIN was not in use on the Tmobile network.
5) I went to the www.fido.com/bis page, and went to the option where it asks if you forgot your password and input my pin to have the password sent to my device.
6)Surely enough, i got a text msg saying your password is... However the actual part of the msg where it is supposed to show my password was blank! I did this to see if my device was already set to go on Fido's network but i have never recieved a username or password.:S:S:S

-So as you can see, I am kind of confused as to what is going on with my phone...hopefully someone can help me figure this out..

Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #22
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

613otjatt

PM me with your MSN email or something and i can help try and fix your issue, i think i know whats going on...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #23
cloneapoc

cory how does the msn portal fido has work?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #24
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

huh?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
senka81

Unhappy

Hi,

I also have an unlocked 8320 and I am also having issues with getting the browser to work without a WiFi connection. I have the 12MB internet option. Cory, I know you mentioned that it would not work with the 8320 but I'm not really sure why it wouldn't? I don't want email set up on my phone or google maps or anything else that i know requires a data plan. I simply wanna be able to browse when i dont have a wifi connection available.

I have tried to update the TCP settings using:
APN: wap.fido.ca
User: fido
Password: fido
Still no luck. When i go to change my Browser settings from WiFi it also doesn't give me any other options. Could this have something to do with it? Am I supposed to have another option? Did anyone manage to get the browser working without Wifi or a data plan for FIDO networks?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #26
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

you cannot use the standard browser without a BB data plan (unless using wifi) plain and simple... no way around at all... search the forums here and you the FAQ and you will find a page for what you can do and cannot do without a bb data plan...
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
whodat00

Carrier: fido

Hello to everyone, this is my first post. I was hoping that someone may be able to give me some advice regarding my 8320 and the problems that I am having.

I get excellent signal strength everywhere including my condo with the exception of my actual unit in the condo. The phone looks for a network constantly and drains the battery by the end of the night. What further complicates this is when I use my wife's rogers sim card I have no porblems. It seems that the phone doesn't work with my fido sim at home. However, if I use my fido sim card in my old phone I get no problems with reception. Any ideas what could be causing this? I thought rogers and fido use the same network.

My second concern is when i'm using the the wifi i can't access Yahoo GO! I tried version 2 and the beta 3 but I get the same error message that there is no connection, even though I can still access the reuglar yahoo site. It's very frustrating. If anyone could help I would be very thankful.

I don't have a data plan yet.

Thank you
Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #28
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat00 View Post
Hello to everyone, this is my first post. I was hoping that someone may be able to give me some advice regarding my 8320 and the problems that I am having.

I get excellent signal strength everywhere including my condo with the exception of my actual unit in the condo. The phone looks for a network constantly and drains the battery by the end of the night. What further complicates this is when I use my wife's rogers sim card I have no porblems. It seems that the phone doesn't work with my fido sim at home. However, if I use my fido sim card in my old phone I get no problems with reception. Any ideas what could be causing this? I thought rogers and fido use the same network.

My second concern is when i'm using the the wifi i can't access Yahoo GO! I tried version 2 and the beta 3 but I get the same error message that there is no connection, even though I can still access the reuglar yahoo site. It's very frustrating. If anyone could help I would be very thankful.

I don't have a data plan yet.

Thank you
Ok some variable need to be ruled out on your Wireless Provider (FIDO) Network issue; but I need more information.
1> what is your "old" phone that doesn't have network issues?
2> what is your Fido plan (does it include video calling)? Also are you on a CityFido or Nationwide (grandfathered) Fido plan? I ask this because many ppl that were on the original nationwide or original CityFido plans (from 2006-7) Many of the towers Rogers kept from the Fido acquisition needed tweaking so that Fido users wouldn't keep seeing the "rogers" network insignia on their phones (phone agnostic). Without the tweak this also caused issues with ppls billing accounts wrongfully charged roaming fees when it wasn't correct. Rogers did the fix; yet few ppl had to get new SIM cards. I'm not saying you need a new SIM just highlighting a possible situation.
3> Turn OFF your WiFi radio to ensure this is not contributing to the battery drain - since you're only trying to isolate network provider situation.

I wish I could help more but I don't have an 8320 - nor direct experience with it. Maybe others here can shed light.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #29
whodat00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
Ok some variable need to be ruled out on your Wireless Provider (FIDO) Network issue; but I need more information.
1> what is your "old" phone that doesn't have network issues?
2> what is your Fido plan (does it include video calling)? Also are you on a CityFido or Nationwide (grandfathered) Fido plan? I ask this because many ppl that were on the original nationwide or original CityFido plans (from 2006-7) Many of the towers Rogers kept from the Fido acquisition needed tweaking so that Fido users wouldn't keep seeing the "rogers" network insignia on their phones (phone agnostic). Without the tweak this also caused issues with ppls billing accounts wrongfully charged roaming fees when it wasn't correct. Rogers did the fix; yet few ppl had to get new SIM cards. I'm not saying you need a new SIM just highlighting a possible situation.
3> Turn OFF your WiFi radio to ensure this is not contributing to the battery drain - since you're only trying to isolate network provider situation.

I wish I could help more but I don't have an 8320 - nor direct experience with it. Maybe others here can shed light.

Thank you for your response. I have had the Fido plan for less than a year now. It is a normal plan not a city fido. My original phone was the Nokia 6126. I don't keep the wi-fi on except when checking my email which is set to my home internet. Fido is written on my phone when I get a signal. Someone suggested that I change my sim card but before I try that I want to make sure that I didn't forget to do something. Another friend suggested that fido might be using 1900 mhz while rogers uses 850 (I think) and this could affect signal strength.

Thank you,
Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #30
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

the 850mhz is a strong signal, and is normally used to for indoor use as its really strong, the 1900mhz is mostly for out doors... but it shouldnt matter, the bb is a quad band phone... both fido and rogers uses both frequencies not just one...
Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #31
pepe68

Cory, I have a BB 8320. Will I be able to use the new $15 unlimited email option, which Fido will be offering as of February 19th?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #32
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

i'd like to know where you saw that plan?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #33
pepe68

Question

I was at the Fido store last thursday and they had a binder "behind the counter" it is not to be offered un til next friday the 22nd, not the 19th. All the clerks were aware of it, but they could not advertise it yet. So I asked if I would be able to have that plan on my BB. They were not sure. One sales clerk said that he would find out, but never called me back. Apparently they will offer this plan with the Moto Q9 & Blackjack from Samsung. I guess they will no longer carry the E62. So, my question remains the same, can I get this plan to work on my BB8320?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #34
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

well i cant answer that until i see the plan advertised and know the how the plan is and read up on it... i no longer work for fido so i dont know anything until its released... once it is i'll look into it and see what i can answer for you
Old 02-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #35
toemaytoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Very interesting. I jumped onto this thread because I was looking to see if there was any word on fido doing a $15 plan like virtually everyone else out there. It looks like I will have an answer in about 45 minutes pacific time.

On another note, sorry to see that you've left fido Cory, you were a great help to me earlier this year when I experimented with the blackberry connect feature on my second hand blackberry. We were tracking through unexplored territory at the time and your help was invaluable.

I'm currently on the original city plan at $40 per month and if there is a $15 unlimited email plan then I'm going to be mighty happy.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 AM   #36
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

yeah it didnt work out between me and the company... lol oh well thats life right... on a positive note i moved on to bigger and better things in life because of it lol...

i will of course keep my eyes open on that plan and see if it can be twicked to work with the BB but my guess, with the release of the motoq9 and the samsung jack on fido, i dont think it will be able to be used on BBs... but of course i will look into to make sure

EDIT:

looks like i was correct, unfortunatly... the $15 dollar package will NOT work for us BB users as its for windows mobile (hence the release of the moto q9 and jack)

sorry guys, but it looks like we are stuck with the BB connect for a while longer...

Last edited by Cory Scheuer; 02-22-2008 at 02:59 AM..
Old 02-25-2008, 04:22 AM   #37
toemaytoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g

Yes, I also called them on the 22nd to see if there was some blackberry deal going on and they didn't know anything about it. With so many better prices out there I'm feeling restricted. If I didn't have the $40 unlimited airtime plan from fido I would be for sure looking at a variety of different plans and providers. My wife was just given a phone at work, it's from bell (I know, I know...) it's the htc touch and she has unlimited email and internet for $7 per month. That's just sick. I could never use the phone itself but they also have a blackberry plan with unlimited email for $15. That's not too bad. It's looking like the only provider to not step up to the plate is fido. I sure hope this changes soon.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #38
PARAZZI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemaytoe View Post
Yes, I also called them on the 22nd to see if there was some blackberry deal going on and they didn't know anything about it. With so many better prices out there I'm feeling restricted. If I didn't have the $40 unlimited airtime plan from fido I would be for sure looking at a variety of different plans and providers. My wife was just given a phone at work, it's from bell (I know, I know...) it's the htc touch and she has unlimited email and internet for $7 per month. That's just sick. I could never use the phone itself but they also have a blackberry plan with unlimited email for $15. That's not too bad. It's looking like the only provider to not step up to the plate is fido. I sure hope this changes soon.

wow, thats a SICK plan that your wife got. i am also hoping fido will step up some of their BB plans in the future. i also agree with you, cory is a great help and always willing to answer some of my answers. thanks dude, 2 thumbs up for you.
Closed Thread