Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
misterb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Default Gmail IMAP true 2 way sync. The latest as of TODAY - 02-18-2008

Please Login to Remove!

I did a search, and there's all sorts of really old stuff regarding this issue.

Here's the problem: When using Gmail IMAP with the BB email software, it isn't true two way sync. If you delete a message from the BB, it deletes it from Gmail, but if you delete a message from Gmail, it leaves it sitting there on your BlackBerry. It also doesn't really mark what you've read. You basically end up trying to remember what you've read, what you've deleted, and what you need to read and delete. Messy!

Gmail has their own software that can be run on the BB, and it works great for the above problem, but it isn't true push email. It takes a while for mail to be synced up, and the user interface is slow and clumsy. Takes a while for stuff to download when you're using it.

Is there a fix for this yet?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

the only fix would be for gmail to change their settings to something like yahoo. welcome to the forums
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Gmail does support bi-directional delete. Delete from Gmail takes a VERY LONG time to sync to the BB. From my experience it's takes 1hr+.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
the only fix would be for gmail to change their settings to something like yahoo. welcome to the forums

Thanks.

Shouldn't it be a BB change that needs to be made? Why am I able to use Outlook with my Gmail account, and it syncs up perfectly and instantly, but the BB doesn't?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
Gmail does support bi-directional delete. Delete from Gmail takes a VERY LONG time to sync to the BB. From my experience it's takes 1hr+.
Wow, that's unacceptable. Say I'm at my desk with Outlook open. I get 10 new emails in Outlook, and the BB also gets those 10 new emails. I read them all in Outlook, delete what I want, and then leave the office for appointments. 45 minutes later, I check my email on the BB, and the same damn emails will be sitting there? Why is this so hard for BB/Gmail to figure out? Not like this is new technology here. IMAP has been around for quite some time.

Any settings we can mess with to force it to work better?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterb View Post
Thanks.

Shouldn't it be a BB change that needs to be made? Why am I able to use Outlook with my Gmail account, and it syncs up perfectly and instantly, but the BB doesn't?
different types of sync. Outlook isnt a push email, the BIS is. Outlook does a send/receive to get emails while the BB device literally sits there until an email hits the BIS, and then it is pushed to the BB.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There are no settings that we can change to make this work better. Your best bet is to use Yahoo! Mail as it deletes and reconciles pretty much instantaneously. Until Gmail works like Yahoo! there is nothing that we can do.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Milk in Detroit

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

I don't have that problem. When i delete a message in thunderbird, its deleted immediately on my BB if i hit the refresh button.

My problem is i rarely get alerted to a new message in gmail on my BB
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Isn't the "real" answer for these matters quite simple: pony up for BES.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
misterb

Quote:
different types of sync. Outlook isnt a push email, the BIS is. Outlook does a send/receive to get emails while the BB device literally sits there until an email hits the BIS, and then it is pushed to the BB.
I'm not so sure about that. Outlook receives emails sent to my Gmail account instantly almost the second the person on the other end hits send. At any rate, Gmail and the BB should be able to work to sync two way and deliver instant email if Outlook and Gmail can do it.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk in Detroit View Post
I don't have that problem. When i delete a message in thunderbird, its deleted immediately on my BB if i hit the refresh button.

My problem is i rarely get alerted to a new message in gmail on my BB
Are you using Gmail's BB app, or are you using the BB app to check email? If it's the Gmail app, then yes- it works for two way sync, but you don't get instant notification of new mail.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Isn't the "real" answer for these matters quite simple: pony up for BES.

Can you elaborate a bit on this option? What is required except for more money? Does a program need to be on and running all the time on a server somewhere to make this function properly? Does it require Exchange server? If the answers to these questions are yes, then it's suddently not the best option for me.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

BES is a software server that links with exchange groupwise or domino. most people do not have the capability to run it, though it IS an option.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #14
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There are no settings that we can change to make this work better. Your best bet is to use Yahoo! Mail as it deletes and reconciles pretty much instantaneously. Until Gmail works like Yahoo! there is nothing that we can do.
Yeah, but then I gotta show a hokey @yahoo.com address to clients, or change the settings so it shows a different outgoing or return address, but then I won't have all my messages archived in one place like I do with Gmail's business app that allows me to simply use their servers to send and receive mail using our own domain name. Also, doesn't Yahoo send out ads at the bottom of every email unless you pay them?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
misterb

Quote:
BES is a software server that links with exchange groupwise or domino. most people do not have the capability to run it, though it IS an option.
Yeah, see- that's what I was afraid of. Suddenly not a good option for what we need.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #16
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

I am concerned. I have read and have reports from lots of people that using POP, Gmail and Google Hosted Accounts are able to get instant notifications and are able to 2 way sync.

Are these reports of people having issues with Gmail and Google Hosted mail isolated or is it not really supported ?

Thanks

J
Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
I am concerned. I have read and have reports from lots of people that using POP, Gmail and Google Hosted Accounts are able to get instant notifications and are able to 2 way sync.

Are these reports of people having issues with Gmail and Google Hosted mail isolated or is it not really supported ?

Thanks

J
It's looking to me like it's not fully supported. When somebody says it works, often times you dig deeper and find out that they don't really understand how IMAP is supposed to work. They think that getting an instant email on their BB with POP or even IMAP is the coolest thing in the world, but they don't realize how unproductive they are being by having to delete and sync up emails in two separate locations. The other folks that understand how it works, are somehow OK with a one way sync that can apparently take 15 minutes to about an hour to take place. By that time, a power user has already had to deal with duplicates.

RIM and Gmail need to put their heads together and get this fixed, or maybe someone can come up with a creative solution that none of us have thought of.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #18
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
It's looking to me like it's not fully supported. When somebody says it works, often times you dig deeper and find out that they don't really understand how IMAP is supposed to work. They think that getting an instant email on their BB with POP or even IMAP is the coolest thing in the world, but they don't realize how unproductive they are being by having to delete and sync up emails in two separate locations. The other folks that understand how it works, are somehow OK with a one way sync that can apparently take 15 minutes to about an hour to take place. By that time, a power user has already had to deal with duplicates.

RIM and Gmail need to put their heads together and get this fixed, or maybe someone can come up with a creative solution that none of us have thought of.
There was this thread recently: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ogle-apps.html

Using just POP does it do two way sync ?

Anyhow, it sounds to me like it's still Beta and I am sure the Google people are aware of this and are working with RIM. I guess you get what you pay for eh ?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
misterb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
There was this thread recently: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ogle-apps.html

Using just POP does it do two way sync ?

Anyhow, it sounds to me like it's still Beta and I am sure the Google people are aware of this and are working with RIM. I guess you get what you pay for eh ?
Using POP won't make it sync two ways. That's the whole point of IMAP. It syncs what you read and what you delete. If you open up the screen on your smartphone, it is supposed to show you exactly what would be on your copy of Outlook linked to Gmail or from gmail.com. IMAP is truly in a whole other league above POP. After using IMAP, POP seems like I'm running Windows 95. It just needs to work with my BB correctly now.

The problem with Google using the "beta" excuse, is that they leave their products as "beta" for years. Even still, they're among the best around. Honestly, I think this is mainly a RIM issue. I used to have a Palm Centro, and I purchased this little program called Chatter to handle Gmail IMAP email. It synced two way and had true push email. This program was just designed by some little one man shop on the side. He did the programming to get his program to work with Gmail, so RIM just needs to do the same.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #20
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Using POP won't make it sync two ways. That's the whole point of IMAP. It syncs what you read and what you delete. If you open up the screen on your smartphone, it is supposed to show you exactly what would be on your copy of Outlook linked to Gmail or from gmail.com. IMAP is truly in a whole other league above POP. After using IMAP, POP seems like I'm running Windows 95. It just needs to work with my BB correctly now.

The problem with Google using the "beta" excuse, is that they leave their products as "beta" for years. Even still, they're among the best around. Honestly, I think this is mainly a RIM issue. I used to have a Palm Centro, and I purchased this little program called Chatter to handle Gmail IMAP email. It synced two way and had true push email. This program was just designed by some little one man shop on the side. He did the programming to get his program to work with Gmail, so RIM just needs to do the same.
Chatter for Palm uses IMAP-IDLE to keep a fulll-time connection to port 143 on the IMAP server where you account is hosted. The BIS would have to do the same thing (as long as the IMAP server supports IMAP-IDLE & concurrent connections) for 2-way sync/instant mail to the blackberry. I'm not sure if the RIM network can handle this along with all the BES, BIS-POP accounts. Just look at the recent network outages - as blackberry's continue to sell RIM will need to expand their network (with caution).
Closed Thread