Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
dougaldog

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default BIS email and browser over WiFi

Please Login to Remove!

I have a question.

I have a very limited amount of included download on my mobile carrier's BIS plan (1Mb), but I do have the WiFi connection...

I can access my email and BBbrowser via the WiFi connection and this works great. My question is, would my carrier be able to monitor this traffic and hence charge me for it?

They have yet to release a WiFi Blackberry over here in Australia, so I am hoping this will be a way to get around the limiting plans that they currently offer.

Here's hoping.

Anyone had any experience of using the WiFi connection in this way? If so, were you charged for the data?

EDIT: Or, to put it another way...

1. is it RIM that notify the carrier of usage, or does the carrier monitor it?
2. Does the BBerry browser go via a central RIM server to access the internet, or is it straight http?

Last edited by dougaldog; 02-14-2008 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: More detail added
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaldog View Post
I have a question.

I have a very limited amount of included download on my mobile carrier's BIS plan (1Mb), but I do have the WiFi connection...

I can access my email and BBbrowser via the WiFi connection and this works great. My question is, would my carrier be able to monitor this traffic and hence charge me for it?

They have yet to release a WiFi Blackberry over here in Australia, so I am hoping this will be a way to get around the limiting plans that they currently offer.

Here's hoping.

Anyone had any experience of using the WiFi connection in this way? If so, were you charged for the data?

2. Does the BBerry browser go via a central RIM server to access the internet, or is it straight http?

I can't see how your carrier can charge you for data usage that isn't on their network (when using WiFi)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaldog View Post
I have a question.

Here's hoping.

You won't be charged for WiFi use. Since you have a limited BIS plan you might want to look at installing MiniMoni (MiniMoni - Traffic monitor for BlackBerry. It monitors your mobile data traffic (not WiFi traffic) and is free.
Closed Thread