Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Please Login to Remove!

Yup, I wouldn't wanna mess with juwaack68 as she has helped me out with one of my very first questions http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ail-block.html

I have good memory
BTW, kind of OT (and a follow up) if we all start receiving HTML emails as standard once the new OS comes out (hopefully), I doubt if they would be sent in 2KBs by then huh? Or what?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpac View Post
Yup, I wouldn't wanna mess with juwaack68 as she has helped me out with one of my very first questions http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ail-block.html

I have good memory
BTW, kind of OT (and a follow up) if we all start receiving HTML emails as standard once the new OS comes out (hopefully), I doubt if they would be sent in 2KBs by then huh? Or what?
Awwww...

As to the OT question....EXCELLENT question! Something for us mods to discuss during our seekrit meetings.

EDIT: I thought your OT question was good enough for it's own thread, so have moved the first 3 posts to this new thread.

Original thread these are from is here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...downloads.html

Last edited by juwaack68; 02-24-2008 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Started new thread.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Yes please! HTML email is good for everyone but not *that* good for us folks without unlimited data plans
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Along with the question about the effect on the data size, I'm also curious if this is something that can be turned on/off on the BES and/or the handheld.

EDIT: I believe that the BES IT Policy would be able to control this, and not force BES devices to receive HTML email unless the company deems that wanted/necessary.

Also, if the data size does increase, it will be interesting to see if the carriers adjust the BB data plans they offer accordingly. That is, offer something other than a single 'capped' plan and unlimited plan (like 2-3 'capped' plans instead of just 1, as well as unlimited).

Last edited by juwaack68; 02-24-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Along with the question about the effect on the data size, I'm also curious if this is something that can be turned on/off on the BES and/or the handheld.

EDIT: I believe that the BES IT Policy would be able to control this, and not force BES devices to receive HTML email unless the company deems that wanted/necessary.

Also, if the data size does increase, it will be interesting to see if the carriers adjust the BB data plans they offer accordingly. That is, offer something other than a single 'capped' plan and unlimited plan (like 2-3 'capped' plans instead of just 1, as well as unlimited).
Yes it can be turned off via BES. I think we will see even the canadian carriers moving towards an unlimited plan with this. i doubt anything would be done before the bis 2.5 upgrade, but who knows
Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

A side question, maybe. I've absorbed from reading the forums, articles about blackberry, especially when blackberry maps was released, that RIM takes data economy very seriously. I've also gathered that RIM sees network capacity being an issue and data economy becoming even more important in the future. I assume nothing has changed. Any thoughts along these lines? Makes me think if and when html email comes to the native blackberry email, it will be possible to turn it off at the BIS, where what we will have in the "off" setting will be essentially what we see now, more or less.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

The ability to turn it on or off will be great. Especially for those companies and individuals who chose the Blackberry solution due to text only emails (thereby pretty much eliminating the threat of a virus - which is an entirely different thread here somewhere).
Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
A side question, maybe. I've absorbed from reading the forums, articles about blackberry, especially when blackberry maps was released, that RIM takes data economy very seriously. I've also gathered that RIM sees network capacity being an issue and data economy becoming even more important in the future. I assume nothing has changed. Any thoughts along these lines? Makes me think if and when html email comes to the native blackberry email, it will be possible to turn it off at the BIS, where what we will have in the "off" setting will be essentially what we see now, more or less.
i am going to guess it will be in the email settings of 4.5 with the service books pushed from BIS 2.5. of course this is a pure guess.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
i am going to guess it will be in the email settings of 4.5 with the service books pushed from BIS 2.5. of course this is a pure guess.
I didn't say it right. What I meant is, whether set on the handheld or set at the BIS portal, the control will be at the BIS so that if "off" the conversion to text will be at the BIS (as we see now) and hence the lower data useage of text. What would be interesting in that case is if there is a "retrieve all" feature to retrieve the full html if you desire. Just speculating and thinking what if.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I didn't say it right. What I meant is, whether set on the handheld or set at the BIS portal, the control will be at the BIS so that if "off" the conversion to text will be at the BIS (as we see now) and hence the lower data useage of text. What would be interesting in that case is if there is a "retrieve all" feature to retrieve the full html if you desire. Just speculating and thinking what if.
ah i misunderstood. to this i have no idea. it would be make sense that it would be a setting in the BIS (hopefully can be set from the email setup wizard on the device), but would also be nice if there was a backup on the device to set it per account as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
The ability to turn it on or off will be great. Especially for those companies and individuals who chose the Blackberry solution due to text only emails (thereby pretty much eliminating the threat of a virus - which is an entirely different thread here somewhere).
I guess I need to search for that thread. I had not given the first thought to BB being Virus vulnerable. I use an iMac, and tend to think the world is safe like me...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog View Post
I guess I need to search for that thread. I had not given the first thought to BB being Virus vulnerable. I use an iMac, and tend to think the world is safe like me...
Here it is (or at least one of the recent threads):

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...00c-virus.html
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog View Post
EDIT: Never mind. It wasn't the thread I thought.

And BTW, I wasn't so much concerned about the BB being vulnerable as I was html email on the BB placing the BB in the transmission chain of malware to the next person/system when the email is forwarded.

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-24-2008 at 08:32 PM..
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #14
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

its very basic HTML email but it looks pretty Images do not automatically download, you have to set it, it shows background colors and font colors/links properly. havent really tested much else.
Closed Thread