BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
chrishuey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Program to warn before free memory hits 0?

Please Login to Remove!

Does a program exist that can run in the background on a blackberry, and when the memory gets close to 0, it can give notification to reboot before call logs and sms messages are lost? Preferably one where the lower limit threshold can be set manually?

If not, I think this would be a great program that many, many people would be interested in. I just lost my call log tonight, and it's so frustrating, there must be a better solution to this since I cannot check free available memory and reboot while I sleep. Telenav and programs for work I can't delete are keeping me at a low memory state.

I'm hoping against hope it exists and I just can't find it. If not, would anyone be interested in developing this program (would it be difficult to do)? You'd get a lot of praise from many people and I'd beta test the hell out of the sob!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i havent seen an app that does what you suggest. There is a problem with it though, the BB doesnt have a hard limit at which it deletes information to keep itself running, it varies quite a bit. Usually keeping a device above 10mb free and you wont have any problems, but i have seen it as high as 12.5mb and as low as 5mb before it deletes information. the best way is to just check periodically by yourself by holding ALT and hitting EACE from your main icon screen, or going into options > status and looking at the file free.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
chrishuey

Unfortunately, I'm at about 9mb free after a battery pull, and it just goes down from there, sometimes very quickly. I check on the free memory of course, but sometimes I can't constantly be tending to it like that. I'll forget while I'm at work and then, call log gone. There may be no fixed lower limit, but something would work, even warning when it gets below 3 where I've never seen it delete anything. Just a warning before, doesn't have to be totally accurate but something close until I can figure out how to free more up aside from the methods on this board.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Good idea. I am constantly checking the status menu.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishuey View Post
Unfortunately, I'm at about 9mb free after a battery pull, and it just goes down from there, sometimes very quickly. I check on the free memory of course, but sometimes I can't constantly be tending to it like that. I'll forget while I'm at work and then, call log gone. There may be no fixed lower limit, but something would work, even warning when it gets below 3 where I've never seen it delete anything. Just a warning before, doesn't have to be totally accurate but something close until I can figure out how to free more up aside from the methods on this board.

Thanks.
Have you really try all of the optimization suggestions on this site? I can't imagine have memory issues after that.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
chrishuey

Yes, between telenav, document apps for spreadsheets, word documents, hours/project tracking and a bunch of other things I need for work, plus things for personal use. I've tried to trim it down but some things I need to have on there and unfortunately that takes up a ton of memory, even with an sd card and all extra languages and those things removed.

If there's something else to do let me know, that isn't on this site already because I'm open for suggestions, and failing that, a program that will at least notify me to reboot so my logs aren't deleted. Losing call logs for customers is very, very bad.
Closed Thread