Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Shinigami
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES Log File Questions

Please Login to Remove!

I was on the BES server this morning and noticed that I was running out of space. I located the log files that the BES stores on the drive and the large amount of space they were taking up (they were txt files). My first question is what do these files actually tell you ( i.e Blackberry A received a email at such and such time)? Are they important to keep? If not, is there a way to set the bes up to purge files on weekly basis? If they happen to be important enough to keep, is it safe to move the target save location to a secondary drive?

Thanks,

Shen
Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

They tell you about message delivery, pim sync, activation, mds traffic ... pretty much everything the bes does.

Are they important, yeah, I think so from at least a troubleshooting standpoint.

You can change how long they are kept in the BlackBerry Server Configuration application under the Logging tab, just change the "debug log maximum daily file age" from 0 to however long you want to keep them. I'd really recommend no less than a month (but I like logs), but you can get by with whatever you're comfortable with. Plus, these are txt files; they zip really well.

Keep in mind that after you change the age it will take place for logs created after that point; currently existing logs won't purge. I say zip em up and then toss em if you don't want them in the future.

I would absolutely recommend moving them to a different location; in fact when I do installs if there are multiple disks the logs go on their own drive / partition if available.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Glen_tech

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

I am in the logging tab and able to highlight the individual items but not able to make any changes, do i need to do anything before hand?

Thanks in advance

Glen
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_tech View Post
I am in the logging tab and able to highlight the individual items but not able to make any changes, do i need to do anything before hand?
Are you logged in as the service account that BES use?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Also, services would need to be restarted for this to take effect.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Glen_tech

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

I think you have just hit the problem on the head there, thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
cyberpine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile
Default BES log detail? Third party tools?

Do BES logs show any detail about the email sender? subject? body? attached file names?

What information in the logs would somebody find about traffic used by third party tools and email clients like Yahoo Go 3.0? Considering that these services are LIKELY performing some sort of secure communication between a server on the net and a client (the phone's Yahoo Go ap) and they are likely web services, what if anything can one extract from BES logs pertaining to them?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpine View Post
Do BES logs show any detail about the email sender? subject? body? attached file names?

What information in the logs would somebody find about traffic used by third party tools and email clients like Yahoo Go 3.0? Considering that these services are LIKELY performing some sort of secure communication between a server on the net and a client (the phone's Yahoo Go ap) and they are likely web services, what if anything can one extract from BES logs pertaining to them?

Thanks.
Download the BRK and read through the included PDF document. It will tell you exactly what you can easily extract from it.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
cyberpine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

I'm not a BES admin and I'm sure the Resource Kit won't make any sense to me. I'm just curious if BES could be logging details for a product like if there is encryption happening between the Yahoo server and the Yahoo client. I could understand BES having log information saying there was communication between this server and this Blackberry client third party software.. but the data communicated between the two would LIKELY be some serialized stream that would mean nothing to anybody but that software (Yahoo Go in this case) if their client and server are any good....

I did talk to yahoo again and they confirmed their softare is doing some basic encryption with it's servers. Keeping in mind yahoo go has a builtin email client and browser so it does not appear to use Yahoo's browser or email client, only it's network ports.

Does anybody know?

Thanks.
Closed Thread