GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSyncJosh View Post
It seems like we fix one thing and take a set back two steps. We have received your reports and will work to resolve them. Some of you have some particular configurations, so we will do our best to resolve the majority cases and then work out the special cases. All I can really say is please stay patient - we will won't give up, but do understand if you want to stop beta testing. Thanks
I'm in to the end, thats what beta testing is about
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #602
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Josh, as the others have said, don't get discouraged, we're here to help, and fully expect to be in "debugging" mode with issues at this point.

Having said that, I'm afraid I just had to turn .79SP2 off on my PC here. Have been having an issue with Outlook not closing clean, having to kill it manually (after waiting 15 minutes or more just to make sure it wouldn't close by itself) and then having a file corruption notice that it had to "check/fix" on next startup. So far its gotten through the "check/fix" fine, but that's a bit scary on one's main mail data file!

I just finished doing some testing - when Outlook is hung like that, if I exit BBerrySync then after another minute or so, Outlook will close. I then started Outlook clean, let it run for a couple minutes, then started BBerrySync again. I'm seeing spikes in CPU usage on about a 50% duty cycle, up to about 70-80% cpu utilization - on about a 10 second cycle, combination of BBerrySync and Outlook - although without BBerrySync running, Outlook doesn't spike at all. And this is no slouch of a machine either, a Core2Duo at about 2.5GHz with 4GB of RAM - and it spikes the total of both cores to that level. I've been wondering over the weekend why it had gotten sluggish, and afraid I have to report its totally due to BBerrySync here.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #603
Redflea

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I feel your pain, Josh, and understand how frustrating it is to take one step forward and a couple back when trying to get to MR.

Keep on keepin' on.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #604
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
but do understand if you want to stop beta testing. Thanks
Nope - no way am I interested in stopping in the beta. That's the purpose of beta - to work out the issues to make sure it's ready for prime time.

I didn't want to post "me too" bug reports, but I've been involved long enought to know you and your team are working hard on ironing these out.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #605
deliverer

Model: 8820
Carrier: Verizon

Is there any plans to allow sub folders from the inbox to be added? Maybe there is this feature now and I just don't see it?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #606
BBSyncJosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Hi all - been away for a bit here, but we are internally testing the latest build. We have found the root causes of many of the issues we were having and hope that this last part of QC will be good and then we will resume beta testing. I also apologize for not replying to emails during this time as we were very focused on resuming the beta. We expect to be done and ready to go in the next day or two. Thank you all for your understanding. Josh
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #607
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Great to hear Josh. Can't wait to start testing again.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #608
BBSyncJosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am sure that you all have heard the phrase - KISS - keep it simple stupid. That is exactly what we have done by scaling back the functionality of the software in this beta. What that means is that we have released a BBerrySync Lite version for testing. The version will OTA sync your sent mail, draft mail, Outlook contacts and notes. It will not have Calendar or Task sync at this time. The majority of our problems were Calendar and Tasks due to the API constraints. We will have these features when the full BBerrySync Standard version is released. At the end of the day, I just was not comfortable moving forward with something that was not a tip top product.

For some of you testing, I can understand that taking out the Cal and Task OTA sync functions may mean that you do not want to continue testing - so I thank you for efforts. For those that do want to resume testing, you can download the software using the following links:

http://www.bberrysync.com/downloads/...up_litev08.exe
http://www.bberrysync.com/downloads/...iceBetav08.zip

I will try to do my best to update the quick start guide to help with the revised initial sync data mapping function as well as the other standard and advanced settings.

Thank you.

p.s. you can also test out the new customer back end site at:

BBerrySync - OTA Two-way Sync - Login

You can view your sync queue, activity, etc. - good for when you are testing!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #609
game,the
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
PIN: 2045881C
Carrier: rogers

am i too late as well?

BB 8700
dam.kennyATgmail.com
Rogers Network
Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #610
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Wirelessly posted (8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSyncJosh
I am sure that you all have heard the phrase - KISS - keep it simple stupid. That is exactly what we have done by scaling back the functionality of the software in this beta. What that means is that we have released a BBerrySync Lite version for testing. The version will OTA sync your sent mail, draft mail, Outlook contacts and notes. It will not have Calendar or Task sync at this time. The majority of our problems were Calendar and Tasks due to the API constraints. We will have these features when the full BBerrySync Standard version is released. At the end of the day, I just was not comfortable moving forward with something that was not a tip top product.

For some of you testing, I can understand that taking out the Cal and Task OTA sync functions may mean that you do not want to continue testing - so I thank you for efforts. For those that do want to resume testing, you can download the software using the following links:

http://www.bberrysync.com/downloads/...up_litev08.exe
http://www.bberrysync.com/downloads/...iceBetav08.zip

I will try to do my best to update the quick start guide to help with the revised initial sync data mapping function as well as the other standard and advanced settings.

Thank you.

p.s. you can also test out the new customer back end site at:

BBerrySync - OTA Two-way Sync - Login

You can view your sync queue, activity, etc. - good for when you are testing!
I will start to test on tuesday. I am away from home until then.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #611
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

how different is this from the thinkpost.net solution?

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 AM   #612
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

Hmm,

I think this is the same type of solution, except for the lack of mail hosting, and perhaps being BETA. I think both solutions will tailor to different individuals once the thing is complete!

Vincent L.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #613
MrPixar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
how different is this from the thinkpost.net solution?
Great question! Josh? And what's the pricing structure going to look like? Looking at thinkpost it was $2/month yesterday and today it's $4/month

Last edited by MrPixar; 03-27-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #614
MrPixar

Also ... are any new BETA testers being brought online? If so I'd like to pitch in and see what Bberrysync is all about. I'm a software engineer with a curve (8310) on ATT.

Last edited by MrPixar; 03-27-2008 at 02:25 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #615
BBSyncJosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think the primary differences between BBerrySync and Thinkpost are:

1. BBerrySync does not require you to use our webmail service (we don't even have a webmail service ) and Thinkpost needs you to use their webmail service.

2. Because of the webmail issue, the Calendar, Task and Notes syncing is done with their server and the data is stored. I would loosely call this a GMail type of deal (in so much that you are now transfering all the data that you want synced to the webserver).

3. BBerrySync is a handshake server service. That means that we do not hold on to your data after the sync transaction. Our system only keeps the ID of the data items so we can keep track. I believe this to be an important issue for security reasons. That is why I never keep all my information on webmail servers (I use Hotmail) but prefer to keep it on my PC Outlook.

4. As for the pricing, we look to be around the same ball park. They are month to month and we are a yearly fee with a free test period. Our fee breaks down to $5 a month.

5. I would really like to hear feedback from those that have tried both to see how the difficult sync issues are dealt with. For example, those familiar with BBerrySync know that we have issues with Recurring Cal items and the occurence of recurring items. We can handle single events without issue, but it is that last 5% that separates the good from the acceptable.

6. From what I see, thinkpost does not sync sent and draft mail from PC to BB. Please do let me know if I am wrong on this.

I really welcome some serious testing of the two solutions to see what the differences are so that end users can make an informed choice of what is the best solution for them.

Thanks.

Josh
Old 03-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #616
BBSyncJosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

For those that want to beta test, please send an email to [email address] and we can process coupon codes for you. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #617
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

I think if you stay with that price point this will drive both companies to give the customer mor feature's in order to keep customers. I do think alot of people would rather do month to month then be locked in for a year. Just my thoughts

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #618
MrPixar

Quote:
For those that want to beta test, please send an email to [email address] and we can process coupon codes for you. Thanks.
done and sent PM as well..
Old 03-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #619
MrPixar

nevermind that...friday moment on my end

Last edited by MrPixar; 03-28-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #620
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

Dear BB members,

Hope you all had a great weekend.

Just a quick note to those interested: ThinkPost does not require the use of our email system - it is simply there if the user wants to use it.

I would hope you guys lower your cost...it's even more expensive than ours...without an email service...

Do you folks backup the data? A side benefit of using ThinkPost is that if you ever lose your data, we have it on our servers for a re-sync. I think that would be of great benefit to your customers as well.

Hope this helps!
Vincent L
Closed Thread