Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Selym

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BIS retrieving email from Outlook Web Access

Please Login to Remove!

I have this working successfully. I'm just wondering how RIM accomplishes this. I've tried to use Mozilla Thunderbird to retrieve email using OWA, but it doesn't work, because the Exchange admin. has some feature disabled on the IIS web server for "security reasons". I'm wondering how RIM works around this.

Thanks!
M

Last edited by Selym; 03-18-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Subscribed to thread
Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
marcusblade

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

It's not just RIM. I was able to do it through a Windows smartphone (Samgung I760).
Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
amex

Model: 8300
Carrier: vzw

Is it just email? Does it sync both ways, with folders and sent items?

Also, I noticed the following in an FAQ(for a possible issue) on blackberries site:

Quote:
Cause 5
There are too many email messages in your Microsoft Outlook Web Access mailbox.

Resolution

Either delete some email messages, or move some email messages to a subfolder. Make sure there are fewer than 1000 email messages in the Inbox folder.
I have alot more than 1000 emails in my inbox, can anyone confirm if that would cause an issue?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by amex View Post
Is it just email? Does it sync both ways, with folders and sent items?

Also, I noticed the following in an FAQ(for a possible issue) on blackberries site:

I have alot more than 1000 emails in my inbox, can anyone confirm if that would cause an issue?

Thanks!
BIS has an issue with more than 900 items in the inbox. It essentially times out before it can complete a sweep of all of the messages. I have had it still function higher than that but that is the limit that RIM places on it. Do some archiving and you should be fine!

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
amex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
BIS has an issue with more than 900 items in the inbox. It essentially times out before it can complete a sweep of all of the messages. I have had it still function higher than that but that is the limit that RIM places on it. Do some archiving and you should be fine!

Good Luck!

E-
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I'm ok if it doesn't pull more than 900 items into the blackberry. If I don't archive, will it effect the functionality? I'll assume it won't and it just pulls the first 900?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I'm ok if it doesn't pull more than 900 items into the blackberry. If I don't archive, will it effect the functionality? I'll assume it won't and it just pulls the first 900?
No it won't pull your inbox onto the Handheld. It will just start with new unread messages and will build from the time you start it. BIS will poll you inbox every 15 minutes to check for unread messages. It has to examine each message in your inbox. If there are more that 900 messages it cannot complete it's scan before it times out and may not deliver new mail to you.

Does that make sense?

E-

Old 03-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
amex

Thumbs down

Quote:
No it won't pull your inbox onto the Handheld. It will just start with new unread messages and will build from the time you start it. BIS will poll you inbox every 15 minutes to check for unread messages. It has to examine each message in your inbox. If there are more that 900 messages it cannot complete it's scan before it times out and may not deliver new mail to you.

Does that make sense?

E-
Yup, thanks ;)

Few more questions have come to mind now:

1. I was under the impression with OWA integration with BIS it's instant push email for new email messages, is that true?
2. Are subfolders, and sent items synced two way as well?
3. Let's say there are more than 1000 items in a subfolder?
4. What I'm planning on doing is integrating OWA with my blackberry and then manually syncing my contacts,calendar etc. every night. Do you see any problem with this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Yup, thanks ;)

Few more questions have come to mind now:

1. I was under the impression with OWA integration with BIS it's instant push email for new email messages, is that true?
2. Are subfolders, and sent items synced two way as well?
3. Let's say there are more than 1000 items in a subfolder?
4. What I'm planning on doing is integrating OWA with my blackberry and then manually syncing my contacts,calendar etc. every night. Do you see any problem with this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

1.) No. It's every 15 minutes. If it finds something it polls again in 2 minutes. It will continue polling every 2 minutes until nothing is found and goes back to "sleep" for 15. If you have constant new email it will be almost realtime. Yahoo and Gmail and instant.

2. Subfolders are not synched but you sent mail will go into you sent outlook mailbox. Read and deleted messages will synch.

Yes, you can synch PIM data with a cable as often as you like.

If you want realtime you will need to use BES, it's your only option for realtime synch.

Good Luck!

E-

Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
amex

Let's say I integrate my Blackberry with my exchange server via IMAP - what kind of functionality will I have. i.e. will emails sync both ways, folders will sync? Will I still have an 1000 message inbox issue?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
MeanE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Let's say I integrate my Blackberry with my exchange server via IMAP - what kind of functionality will I have. i.e. will emails sync both ways, folders will sync? Will I still have an 1000 message inbox issue?

Thanks!
Same thing, no subfolders, and you will not want more then 900 messages in the inbox.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

This thread was very helpful. Work emails with out the BES "Control"

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
amex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanE View Post
Same thing, no subfolders, and you will not want more then 900 messages in the inbox.
So the only way to be able to get subfolders would be to pay for BES?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
MeanE
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

Quote:
So the only way to be able to get subfolders would be to pay for BES?
Pretty much yes.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Gareth.Hooper
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodacom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selym View Post
I have this working successfully. I'm just wondering how RIM accomplishes this. I've tried to use Mozilla Thunderbird to retrieve email using OWA, but it doesn't work, because the Exchange admin. has some feature disabled on the IIS web server for "security reasons". I'm wondering how RIM works around this.
BIS will use the same protocol as what you are able to access OWA from external of your network, HTTP Connection to Mailbox using URL and Domain Information. You may find your Exchange Admin has blocked POP3 and/or IMAP, hence not being able to access through Thunderbird or similar client.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc

I used to use BIS through OWA and never had an issue with the 900 email inbox limit mentioned. I usually have anywhere from 2000-4000 emails in my inbox and it always worked fine, but YMMV.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 04-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
cruffino69

Model: 8820
Default Good information - need more help!

Quote:
1.) No. It's every 15 minutes. If it finds something it polls again in 2 minutes. It will continue polling every 2 minutes until nothing is found and goes back to "sleep" for 15. If you have constant new email it will be almost realtime. Yahoo and Gmail and instant.

2. Subfolders are not synched but you sent mail will go into you sent outlook mailbox. Read and deleted messages will synch.

Yes, you can synch PIM data with a cable as often as you like.

If you want realtime you will need to use BES, it's your only option for realtime synch.

Good Luck!

E-

OK, I'm trying OWA sync and am noticing some, in my opinion, incorrect behavior. Using Outlook on my PC, I manage my emails by moving various messages into folders based on the related thread (I work with lots of clients, and I keep things organized this way). I've noticed that messages that are *moved* to a personal folder (and thereby removed from my inbox) are not removed from my Blackberry. These personal folders are not subfolders in my inbox, but are subfolders in a separate .pst on my laptop.

Anyone else noticing this?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc

The BIS/OWA combo is not a true two-way reconcile and only deletes are reconciled. That being said, I don't use BIS/OWA anymore and I don't know if BIS is supposed to remove any emails that are no longer in the inbox or if it removes items that have been expressly deleted. Make sure you have all of your settings correct as described in RIM KB13509 found here. Also it may take up to 6 hours to reconcile, so make sure you are waiting. Personally, it's pretty useless to me if it takes more than a couple of minutes since I am constantly using my phone. That's why I decided to move to BES (and even then the reconciles from mailbox -> device are not instant by any means).

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg View Post
I used to use BIS through OWA and never had an issue with the 900 email inbox limit mentioned. I usually have anywhere from 2000-4000 emails in my inbox and it always worked fine, but YMMV.
I have had more than that as well. When dealing with RIM directly on an issue I was encountering the 900 limit was mentioned and they would not proceed until my inbox was below it.

E-

Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
billwest33

Carrier: Verizon

I elect this thread most helpful ever!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
mchang82

Model: bold
Carrier: rogers
Default re: are there any step by step instructions

hi, My work place has just moved to a new microsoft exchange server and I have lost access via my bb to my work email. They have informed us that we would need to have a BES account (which I do not).

I am new to the blackberry world but was wondering if anyone had step by step instructions how to use the OWA to get email on my BB.

thanks in advance!
Closed Thread