BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
kbuss

Model: 7290
Default BES for Lotus Requirements

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am new to blackberries and the blackberry enterprise server. I am currently working for a small company, which is testing the blackberry 7290 device. My job is it to install the blackberry enterprise server to connect to our lotus domino mail server. At the moment I am little bit confused about the requirements. Some Diagrams show that the BES doesnt have to sit on the same machine as our domino server, which runs on a linux host. But in the quick install guide document is written, that the BES should be installed onto a host where a lotus domino server is running. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the lotus domino software family. In the document seem to be mentioned different lotus software products. One is the lotus domino server and one is the lotus domino mail server. Do i have to install a lotus domino server on the same host where i want to install the BES?

Sorry for my bad english

klaus
Old 08-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
mcreemer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I would (at minimum) recommend that you build a dedicated blackberry server. I have approx. 50 BB users and run them off a dedicated BB server which is a domino server as well of course and has the BES components on them. One important thing to remember is that you need to put the domino server (hosting the bes) in the same Notes Named Network as the mail server(s) of the BB users. For my company it meant that we had to move some users from domino servers at remote offices onto our campus mail server at headquarters. Since then I have noticed tons of traffic between the blackberry server and the mailserver of the BB users so speedy connectivity between those servers is pretty critical.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

BES for Domino runs as a Domino server task, so yes you have to have it.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with your English.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
kbuss

So I have to install another domino server for the bes. the next question would be, how the installtion of that domino server would look like, and how the comunication between it and the existing domino server, which resides on a linux box, is handelt. But I think I have to ask my mailadmin for that one, or are there specific configuration values that I have to know of? I never installed a Lotus Domino server, but learning is a permanent task, isnt it

thanks for your answers so far

klaus
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
mcreemer

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yes, you need to install a domino server on your Blackberry machine. I installed my server as an enterprise server which works beautifully. As long as you have the "new" Domino server within the same Notes Named Network you don't need to worry about communication from a BES standpoint. BTW, you can download a very good Administration guide right of the rim website, describing step by step what you need to do. From a domino standpoint, you still need replication documents to replicate the Address book and other critical DB's but that's no different then any other domino server. I'm not 100% if there's a Blackberry for Linux version, myself I have it on Windows 2000 server so you need to look at that as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
FlemmingRiis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230
Carrier: TDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuss
So I have to install another domino server for the bes. the next question would be, how the installtion of that domino server would look like, and how the comunication between it and the existing domino server, which resides on a linux box, is handelt. But I think I have to ask my mailadmin for that one, or are there specific configuration values that I have to know of? I never installed a Lotus Domino server, but learning is a permanent task, isnt it

thanks for your answers so far

klaus
Just install the new domino server as a member of your notes domain , notes ifself will handle the mail routing (depending on setup you need a connection document)

The domino server that blackberry installs on needs to reside on windows server.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #7
kbuss

Thanks for your replies. I will propably start to install the new domino server today, if i have the time.
Because only some of our emploies have got a blackberry, currently 3, the new domino server would only need to have the data of these accounts. Is this configureable using the mentioned connection documents, or does the new domino server have to sync every account(about 100)? That would propably produce much unnecessary traffic, wouldnt it?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #8
Marcia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

The new domino server doesn't need any of the BlackBerry users' data. All of the users' data will be in the BlackBerry server. You should have a replica of your corporate NAB on the server. Just make sure that the mail routing task is enabled. The domino server should NOT house their mail files.

But.....BES 4.0 supposedly can wirelessly synch personal address books (although I haven't figured out how to do that yet). In that case, you'd need replicas of the users address books on the Domino Server. HTH
Closed Thread