Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #21
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Please Login to Remove!

Latest Update:

After reformating the card I recreated the directory structure via the BlackBerry. I then moved the files back to the media card via drag and drop without copying folders. This appears to have addressed the issue.

I hope RIM addresses this issue so other users do not have to go through this.

*****Finished moving all 3000 files and reboots started again !!!!

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 04-15-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #22
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

As of now I just have a few things on the media card. If I put everything back it reboots.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #23
mike22

Model: 9900
PIN: FRIENDS
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
Picked up the new T-Mobile Pearl 8120 today. I have had a reboot issue. I have already swapped the phone out but am thinking something else is up because it is also doing it on the one I swapped out for.

What happens:
When the phone is just sitting, not on a phone call or using data, on or off of UMA the 8120 will reboot.

Details:
New Pearl 8120 T-Mobile
OS 4.3.0.115
No 3rd Party Apps Installed
Also got a New SIM when problem occurred

Observations:
The media card maybe playing a role. In the first phone it seemed like the phone did not want to boot with a 1GB SanDisk Micro SDCard.

The replacement phone will boot with the media card but I have since pulled it out to see if this has an effect on the reboot issue. I will report back on that.

Any comments or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. It is also my understanding that 4.3.0.115 is the latest OS.

Also all basic troubleshooting steps have been performed.
THE card has nothing too do with 8120 bugs

mike
Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
brichicago1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default rebooting

Hi Mike. See my above post. I am hoping to receive my 2nd new 8120 after having the same problem on Tuesday that you are describing.
But now I am worried because you said that your replacement one is doing the same thing.. ugh..
I had the same kind of sd card as well. If anyone knows how to prevent this from happening please let us know. Thanks..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #25
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I haven't had any reboot issues at all. When I got my device I wiped it and then reloaded the OS back on (with the microSD card OUT of the device). I was then able to add the card and format it. I don't have a lot of stuff on there, though. But it has been working great with Wi-Fi enabled and everything.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
brichicago1

Default rebooting

Ok..I received my new one about an hour ago...So if I get a new sd card..put it in and then format it...i should be ok? Just checking.
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
I haven't had any reboot issues at all. When I got my device I wiped it and then reloaded the OS back on (with the microSD card OUT of the device). I was then able to add the card and format it. I don't have a lot of stuff on there, though. But it has been working great with Wi-Fi enabled and everything.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I hope so. I was just detailing my experiences. I have only had it for about a day now, and there have been no reboots.You might want to try what I did if you do get reboots. Try wiping the device and reinstalling the OS without the microSD card in. I don't know for sure if that will make a difference. Seems like Troy was having the issue because of the amount of data he had on his card. I don't even have 100MB worth of data on mine, so we aren't in the same boat.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #28
glassrover

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default rebooting 8300

i was looking for a solution to my curve that started rebooting this morning (after i moved some files around on the 2gig patriot memory card)..it drove me nuts until i saw this thread. So i pulled the mem card and rebooting has stopped. Thanks for all your advice on this topic!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #29
lakercrazed79

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA984D
Carrier: tmobile
Default 8120

when i got the 8120 the day it came out i had problems with it just rebooting I took the phone back in with in a day and exchanged it out for another one. Now on this one every 6 hours or so my call log is erased and so are my text messages> I tried to call tmobile and talk to there blackberry department and they have no idea why it is doing that. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue please help
Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #30
lamron

A agree with Mike - the card is not the problem here: my 8120 is rebooting during calls & I have no card installed at all (i did restore my 8100 address book, celendar and some of the other databases using the desktop manager).
Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #31
TTexas

Carrier: T-Mobile

lakercrazed, check your memory available to the device. When it runs out, call logs are one of the first data areas to go. You might also want to check out John Clark's extensive write up: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

Last edited by TTexas; 04-18-2008 at 01:05 PM..
Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
lamron

lakercrazed i've noticed that something (perhaps dump or temp files) takes up the memory as the bb reboots - after a few reboots my available memory went down significantly without me adding any data or files to the device (you can quickly check the memory in settings or just look at the number of pictures you can still take in the camera app). taking out the battery for a few secunds (and putting it back in) deletes the extra junk and you get the memory back (i had memory to take 9 pictures before the reboot and 29 after the reboot @ the same resolution and quality).
Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #33
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamron View Post
A agree with Mike - the card is not the problem here: my 8120 is rebooting during calls & I have no card installed at all (i did restore my 8100 address book, celendar and some of the other databases using the desktop manager).
You are correct it is not the problem in your case. The 8120 has two known issues right now. 1 The Media Card Issue, 2 Rebooting during a call.

The media card issue has a fix, the rebooting during the call is going to be fixed in an OS update.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
jopfer

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-mobile

When reformatting the card YOU MUST reformat it from the 8120. DO NOT reformat it from the PC. Also, I have been testing the 8120 on T-Mobile since XMAS (special advanced copy of 8120 for TMO) and there was an early version of the OS that had the rebooting during a call problem but that has been long since fixed. I have been running the current version of the TMO OS for the 8120 since early March and it works GREAT!!

Jim
Old 04-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #35
jopfer

OS 4.3 also has a "Memory Cleaning" feature under Security settings. It seems to work great. I run it about every 2 days.

Jim
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #36
lamron

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopfer
When reformatting the card YOU MUST reformat it from the 8120. DO NOT reformat it from the PC. Also, I have been testing the 8120 on T-Mobile since XMAS (special advanced copy of 8120 for TMO) and there was an early version of the OS that had the rebooting during a call problem but that has been long since fixed. I have been running the current version of the TMO OS for the 8120 since early March and it works GREAT!!

Jim
Jim - I am running the latest version of the software available from T-Mobile but I am still running into frequent reboots during calls. Almost every call longer than a few minutes gets cut off
Old 04-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #37
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

yall may be interested in this

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...oot-issue.html
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #38
jopfer

OK, one more time, format the card from the 8120, then move everything to the card

I have been there and IT WORKS!

Otherwise go get an iPhone and deal with that nightmare

Jim
Old 04-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #39
jopfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamron View Post
Wirelessly posted

Jim - I am running the latest version of the software available from T-Mobile but I am still running into frequent reboots during calls. Almost every call longer than a few minutes gets cut off
DOES it get cut off on UMA or any call

I can help as I know a lot

jim
Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #40
lamron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopfer View Post
DOES it get cut off on UMA or any call

I can help as I know a lot

jim
Jim - it happens during regular (mobile network) calls. I made very few calls on UMA so I don't have enough data to say if it affects those calls as well.

By the way, I don't have an SD card so that's not the issue here. I already wiped the unit once and that didn't seem to help. I should also mention that I am running Google Maps, Google Sync & Crypt Magic apps (all of which run without errors).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions ...
Closed Thread