squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart00 View Post
I have been testing both ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix during the trial periods. I am thoroughly enjoying them, but I am having an incredibly difficult time figuring out why I would need both. I have been using ToDoMatrix by itself because I can't figure out what real value I receive from IdeaMatrix that I can't do in ToDoMatrix.

I am thinking about purchasing one or the other. Right now I am leaning heavily towards ToDoMatrix. Could someone please enlighten me upon the reasons that I would need IdeaMatrix instead?
I felt (and feel) the way you do. However, I can see the differences and it's really a matter of your needs.

Ideamatrix is for jotting down ideas, information, and notes about topics. For example, when going on a trip, you might create a folder for the trip and then add notes that include flight information, phone number of the person that's supposed to pick you up, or a restaurant review for a restaurant you want to try while you're there.

You could do this with Todomatrix, of course. The major difference is that Todomatrix has a lower limit on the number of characters per item. You could fit in a phone number or flight information, but not the full text of a restaurant review.

For me, paying over $100 for both products was just too much. So, when I have an "idea," I create an entry in TDM. For example, if I'm going on a trip, I'll create a folder for the trip and add "todos" to that folder such as "Delta 1217 SFO-IAH 12:03pm-2:15pm" or "Eat at Joe's at 1215 Main Street."

That's "abusing" the methodology, of course. One of the biggest benefits on TDM (and other similar tools) is support for methodology (e.g., GTD or Covey). If that doesn't bother you (it doesn't bother me) and you don't mind a mishmash of ToDo items and "ideas" or "memos" (hint: TDM's views and dimension 7 can be useful to resolve this problem), you only need the one product.

If Rexx had made a single product that handled BOTH TDM and IMX concepts, and charged $60 for THAT, they'd have a solid and better priced tool.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #142
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeff View Post
I felt (and feel) the way you do. However, I can see the differences and it's really a matter of your needs.

Ideamatrix is for jotting down ideas, information, and notes about topics. For example, when going on a trip, you might create a folder for the trip and then add notes that include flight information, phone number of the person that's supposed to pick you up, or a restaurant review for a restaurant you want to try while you're there.

You could do this with Todomatrix, of course. The major difference is that Todomatrix has a lower limit on the number of characters per item. You could fit in a phone number or flight information, but not the full text of a restaurant review.

For me, paying over $100 for both products was just too much. So, when I have an "idea," I create an entry in TDM. For example, if I'm going on a trip, I'll create a folder for the trip and add "todos" to that folder such as "Delta 1217 SFO-IAH 12:03pm-2:15pm" or "Eat at Joe's at 1215 Main Street."

That's "abusing" the methodology, of course. One of the biggest benefits on TDM (and other similar tools) is support for methodology (e.g., GTD or Covey). If that doesn't bother you (it doesn't bother me) and you don't mind a mishmash of ToDo items and "ideas" or "memos" (hint: TDM's views and dimension 7 can be useful to resolve this problem), you only need the one product.

If Rexx had made a single product that handled BOTH TDM and IMX concepts, and charged $60 for THAT, they'd have a solid and better priced tool.
I agree wholeheartedly with your post. Hopefully they can create some way to have all of them TMX+IMX+AMX compiled together and offered as one. Although I am sure that they would keep it modular for scalability and future development.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #143
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

To have them all interact with each other would be sweet.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #144
rhart00
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A

squeff, Thanks for the input. I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I really feel that if REXWireless were to expand the capabilities of ToDoMatrix only slightly, they could get rid of IdeaMatrix entirely.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #145
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I don't want one combined product. I use im far more and keep notes for job sites on it. When I go to a site, I have everything from ip addresses, passwords, old issues, etc. tm is sort of a revolving door where notes aren't stored for a long time and items come and go as old things finish and new things come up.

I'd like to see them hook the "inject into" in other programs like pocketday or pocketinformant. Have am push missed calls into tm automatically or through an auto subject email.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #146
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

All those who would like to see interaction between the 'Matrix twins, please let the developers know!

I suggested this to them about a year ago, and a few times since then. The response has always been that this is not as important to most users as other features, that most users prefer it to be "separated" as it is now.

So unless they hear differently, it most likely won't happen...
Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #147
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
All those who would like to see interaction between the 'Matrix twins, please let the developers know!

I suggested this to them about a year ago, and a few times since then. The response has always been that this is not as important to most users as other features, that most users prefer it to be "separated" as it is now.

So unless they hear differently, it most likely won't happen...
Not true. It will happen, we have decided that, its just a question of when, given the overflow enhancements queue.

--the REXguys--
Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #148
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Interaction gets my vote but not one program combining iM and tM.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #149
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
Interaction gets my vote but not one program combining iM and tM.

Regards-Michael G.
Hi Michael,

Combining is not in the plan, because we see them as very different "logical" stores of information - ToDoMatrix has the ebb and flow of daily tasks (that should hopefully go away someday soon) - IdeaMatrix is the stuff you WANT to keep for a long long time. It just makes sense while working with it to keep the data in separate files, in our opinion.

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
Check out our newest application - AlertMatrix 2008 by REXwireless Software

PS. NOT that we like abbreviations, but as an FYI, we generally refer to ToDoMatrix as TMX and IdeaMatrix as IMX, if you feel that you just got to shorten it up.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #150
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Hi Michael,

Combining is not in the plan, because we see them as very different "logical" stores of information - ToDoMatrix has the ebb and flow of daily tasks (that should hopefully go away someday soon) - IdeaMatrix is the stuff you WANT to keep for a long long time. It just makes sense while working with it to keep the data in separate files, in our opinion.
Great, that's exactly how I see it too.

Three letters is wayyyy to long for me to remember ;)

Regards-Michael G.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #151
hinky

Carrier: Verizon Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Interesting but it sounds like Idea Matrix is like a big file cabinet. For the most part I think you could combine them together effectively and I'd pay for a little more extension on ToDo Matrix if this is the case. I still can't see how the two are so vastly different as, in many ways, they are very similar from a flow perspective. Eventually I'd like all my stuff in IMX to go away and sometimes my stuff in TDM would be stuck there for a while as a project for next month, for example.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you had a desktop client that would be what would get more purchasing interest IMHO. I'm not alone in spending a lot of time in front of Outlook/desktop/laptop. It is SO much easier using your desktop to just jot things in than having to deal with it on the BB. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not comfortable in using the Web and prefer to have it on my laptop, e.g. on a plane, train, coffee shop, etc. and not have to rely on being connected with my laptop.

I thought I saw something about storage/backup on the SD. All blackberries should do backup and with regard to access from SD, that should be considered for sure now that it is ubiquitous (if this isn't a feature already.)

What I'd really like to know is what are the major differences between TDM and IMX besides just conceptual words? Workflow? Limitations of one over another? Etc. A comparison would help.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #152
bostonnerd

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinky View Post
What I'd really like to know is what are the major differences between TDM and IMX besides just conceptual words? Workflow? Limitations of one over another? Etc. A comparison would help.
Have you been to the Rexwireless web site? There is considerable documentation there that will answer your questions.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #153
hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Have you been to the Rexwireless web site? There is considerable documentation there that will answer your questions.
I found there is considerable stuff, long explanations, etc. I just wanted a comparison sheet.

I tried installing both Todo Matrix and Idea Matrix. TMX installed with an error on my Verizon 8330 Curve. It worked, was OK but a LOT of scrolling. You've got those due date folders on top and it doesn't look very customizable. The interface is downright ugly.

IMX installed and also had the same error but wouldn't even launch. Reinstalling didn't help so I couldn't tell the difference.

Here's another reason why I really dislike the Rex Desktop connection and prefer a desktop as in a desktop PC. I travel in various places without a signal and the software was looking for the connection. While I'm glad to have it backed up immediately still I could wait until I was home or in the office and sync without the dependency. Every day I take the underground train so I won't have signal.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #154
squeff

Quote:
I found there is considerable stuff, long explanations, etc. I just wanted a comparison sheet.

I tried installing both Todo Matrix and Idea Matrix. TMX installed with an error on my Verizon 8330 Curve. It worked, was OK but a LOT of scrolling. You've got those due date folders on top and it doesn't look very customizable. The interface is downright ugly.

IMX installed and also had the same error but wouldn't even launch. Reinstalling didn't help so I couldn't tell the difference.

Here's another reason why I really dislike the Rex Desktop connection and prefer a desktop as in a desktop PC. I travel in various places without a signal and the software was looking for the connection. While I'm glad to have it backed up immediately still I could wait until I was home or in the office and sync without the dependency. Every day I take the underground train so I won't have signal.
I felt the same way you did about the scrolling and the ugly interface. So much so, that I twice gave up on TDM before really giving it a chance.

The third time, I deleted all of the sample data and turned off the help keys at the bottom. I then put in a few of my own drawers and folders, including some color.

I found it looked a lot nicer and was a lot simpler feeling that I'd though.

Personally, I think the sample data was a turn-off.

I also turned off some of the extra fields that I wasn't ready to use, at least immediately: delegates, GTD dimensions, Covey dimensions.

It's VERY customizable. Which is the other problem. It seems overwhelming because there are options and you gotta decide how you want to use it.

Once you turn off all the extras, you'll wish it did more. And then you realize, hey, there's an option to turn that feature on.

As for the comments on the lack of a real desktop tool, I agree. I'm personally concerned about the day that I leave the BB at home (or it breaks) and I have no way to access my to-do list because I haven't paid the subscription fee to the web-based tool.

Sigh... hopefully, one day soon, the rumor will come true and it'll sync with the BB tasks list or Outlook. They say it'll be soon, but who knows?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #155
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well, I am brand new to these two packages as well -- only on day 2 of testing. I am testing now, and not putting any material there that could raise the ire of my clients. On the BB I certainly would not agree that it is ugly, and you can move stuff around -- a bit difficult but it does work. The injection feature from emails is very handy; I always liked that about BBSmart, and this extends that capability.

I agree that the desktop is a bit funky and too slow. They also don't do the best job of letting you customize the appearance of the web page on the screen. I have a lot of additional screen real estate that could be used to flesh out the tasks, etc., in the overall presentation.

Having said that, however, this is head and shoulders better than the task application in Outlook. I could readily see a companion desktop application that integrates with the BB. Much like Data Vault, but they (Rex) can retain the wireless sync capability.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #156
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:

hinky,

Just a thought but if you are still having issues, then goto rexwireless.com and get in touch with their support. I dont know how many times I have had issues and contact Rex and they get back. Granted they have families, but support is top notch. Not to suppress any issues that you are having, but the forums can only help you so much - then it is time to just contact them and hash out your issues. Hope that helps you some!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #157
hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Having said that, however, this is head and shoulders better than the task application in Outlook. I could readily see a companion desktop application that integrates with the BB. Much like Data Vault, but they (Rex) can retain the wireless sync capability.
Support is top notch as Da Boy just mentioned. I'm really impressed with them and yes, this task application is heads and shoulders above Outlook and anything else currently available for the Blackberry at the moment.

I do have 2 issues I discovered though. Apparently there is no local backup made during the Blackberry sync - it requires you to connect to Rex to backup over the air. Thus if you're out of an area of coverage, e.g. traveling outside the US, your phone will not be backed up until you return home. If you get a new phone you should hope you connected prior and had your data backed up and access to the service. Second is that there is no export of data from the application and printing requires their web based desktop application. I wish that, like Data Vault, priority was made on the desktop client and not a web client that resides on third party servers. These guys seem very reliable but it's probably my industry that makes me nervous about putting my life into my organizer and not having a copy locally. I'm sure this will be out at some time soon.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #158
squeff

Quote:
Support is top notch as Da Boy just mentioned. I'm really impressed with them and yes, this task application is heads and shoulders above Outlook and anything else currently available for the Blackberry at the moment.

I do have 2 issues I discovered though. Apparently there is no local backup made during the Blackberry sync - it requires you to connect to Rex to backup over the air. Thus if you're out of an area of coverage, e.g. traveling outside the US, your phone will not be backed up until you return home. If you get a new phone you should hope you connected prior and had your data backed up and access to the service. Second is that there is no export of data from the application and printing requires their web based desktop application. I wish that, like Data Vault, priority was made on the desktop client and not a web client that resides on third party servers. These guys seem very reliable but it's probably my industry that makes me nervous about putting my life into my organizer and not having a copy locally. I'm sure this will be out at some time soon.
I backup via USB cable once a week. This should backup the TDM database, but it does not. From what I can tell, Rex has explicitly prevented their database from being backed up this way.

To be fair, I must say how I know this. A few weeks back, I had to wipe and restore. Other application-specific databases (such as PocketDesktop's preferences) came back. WIth TDM, nothing. I had to download from Rex's server.

That said, had I not backed up before the wipe, the chances of me being able to recover a recent version of my TDM database would have been good. So, there's definitely a very good upside to the network backup.

I guess I'd prefer that they allowed their database to be backed up and restored via the normal Desktop Manager backup, as well as the network backup. I'd then have the option of which version to restore.

Rex guys, feel free to tell me that I'm wrong and that you don't prevent the database from being backed up via Desktop Manager. I'm just sharing what I've experienced.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #159
hinky

I've just confirmed the following:

1) You are correct that there is no backup via USB. Everything is done wirelessly onto their servers. It's nice to have but certianly not the necessity or norm. They told me they are planning to have this sometime later in the year but it's not firm. I really think it's essential.

2) Printing/PDF is only available on the web client. There is no export. The only way to get data off the Blackberry is to send your folders as attachments to an email. There is no export of the database so you can import it in excel, access or another database.

3) The last major PITA is not having my ToDos launchable on my desktop via any open client, e.g. Outlook. Another necessity... I'll probably put urgent to dos in the basic ToDO list although this will defeat the purpose of using TDM, lol.

I really like the guys, their support, and the product. But it really does need this stuff. For now I may purchase in the hope they put USB syncing and will need to periodically email all my data off the device. Definitely not ideal and one I'll have ot have on ToDo Matrix, LOL.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #160
squeff

Quote:
I've just confirmed the following:

1) You are correct that there is no backup via USB. Everything is done wirelessly onto their servers. It's nice to have but certianly not the necessity or norm. They told me they are planning to have this sometime later in the year but it's not firm. I really think it's essential.

2) Printing/PDF is only available on the web client. There is no export. The only way to get data off the Blackberry is to send your folders as attachments to an email. There is no export of the database so you can import it in excel, access or another database.

3) The last major PITA is not having my ToDos launchable on my desktop via any open client, e.g. Outlook. Another necessity... I'll probably put urgent to dos in the basic ToDO list although this will defeat the purpose of using TDM, lol.

I really like the guys, their support, and the product. But it really does need this stuff. For now I may purchase in the hope they put USB syncing and will need to periodically email all my data off the device. Definitely not ideal and one I'll have ot have on ToDo Matrix, LOL.
#1 is the head-scratcher. Unless I'm wrong (and it's quite likely), the ability to allow USB backup is NOT something that they need to code. They simply need to make their database available to the existing backup routines supported by Desktop Manager. I think they explicitly made the decision to "hide" the database from this backup. Maybe for very good reason. But, from an outsider's view (hence me possibly being wrong), I can't tell why this was. Or why they need to do much coding to get this to work.

I know the REX guys are sometimes on this forum? Can you explain why I'm wrong? Why isn't this trivial?

As for #2, with the BB (where this is no attached printer), it seems that the e-mail option is not a bad idea. While a full desktop version would, of course, have a nicer and easier way to print, I find that e-mailing a CSV that I can import into Excel is good-enough.

As for #3, I want to see a sync with the built-in tasks application more than having an add-on "conduit" (to use Palm-speak) to sync with Outlook. This way, I'd be able to use the existing DM sync with Outlook. Plus, this would make my TDM tasks available to PocketDesktop (the PD developer has said that Rex won't play nice with him).

Downside is that the built-in tasks database is likely incompatible with some of the TDM fields (e.g., can it handle all of the statuses?, does it support delegation fields and dimensions?). Hopefully, the Rex team has a good approach to this (I've seen other apps use tages in the notes field to handle "extended" information).
Closed Thread