Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #21
amder
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Bertie, i'm in the states--bay area, california. that's an excellent tip. in fact, we're thinking of buying a cheap system as a web server. according to the image, where should i install the bps?

ImageShack - Hosting :: 69001707if7.jpg
Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
jeffro01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2277C472
Carrier: At&t (Company)

always on your firewall protected internal LAN

Jeff
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #23
amder

im confused now. i went browsing and noticed BBAdmin's sticky post indicates bes/bps requires server 2003 or 2000. can xp pro work also? does exchange 2003 have to be on the same server?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #24
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

You can run it on XPPRO but only 10 connections can be had at a single time.
After 20 devices it may not work well. If you are going to have 30 devices soon then buy a server license.

only Exchange System Manager tools is needed not the whole exchange server.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #25
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amder View Post
im confused now. i went browsing and noticed BBAdmin's sticky post indicates bes/bps requires server 2003 or 2000. can xp pro work also? does exchange 2003 have to be on the same server?
I'm not trying to confuse...so hope this helps

Traditionally BES is run on a W2k3/00 server which sits inside the firewall and located on the same part of the network as the exchange server. BPS is a 'cut-down' version of BES with (I'm lead to believe) quite a bit of different code 'under the hood' (as sP5 for BES won't work on BPS). According to the RIM docs then you should be able to install BPS on an SBS instance but it seems to be giving you trouble...and as I'm quite a fan of having BES separate from one key server, I wanted to point out given your demands you can install BES on XP Pro as for quite a few people the cost of another OS license can be quite a stumbling block. The XP pro machine needs to be behind the firewall, connected the LAN and have the exchange system manager tools (as noted previously) and there's a windows set of tools I think you need installed as well

Previously I have happily run a 5-6 user BES on XP Pro connecting to an SBS machine, and not had any problems for 5-6 months - but it was lightly loaded. I had a script to re-boot the BES every week and apart from that all seemed ok...

Is it a 'supported configuration' from RIM - No.
Do I recommend it for more than 5 or 6 users - No.
Would I use it in preference to a full OS license - No

Last edited by bertiebassett; 05-29-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #26
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I bet you didn't use a BB service account to install BES...Removing BES and reinstalling under a service account should get it working. But, I also don't recommend installing it on your SBS. at the very least, put it on an XP box, but server is more robust and supported by RIM if you can swing it. server 2003 will run fine on a newer desktop - I did it for a couple years.

You must follow the BES install guide to the letter.
BES 4.1
Old 06-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #27
amder

Thank you all for your valuable assistance. I uninstalled Outlook last Friday during off hours and luckily exchange wasn't affected. We reset the activation password today and activiated it on the handheld and it works fine so far (knock on wood) --replying works too.

Bertie and XP supporters: the XP solution sounds like a great idea but the company doesn't have the budget for it now so we'll stick w/the SBS. I would like things separated too to make things simple. Lady: I don't even know what a BB service account is. I installed the BPS using the besadmin username.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
AlanM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

BesAdmin is the BB Service Account. BES and BPS should be installed under the BesAdmin account (or whatever you've named it).
~1500 BB Users, and a headache.
War Eagle!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #29
ahmer

Model: Pearl
Carrier: telestra

Hi Amder,
I have similar issue as you have. Can you plz tell me the steps to Reset Activation password. How can I Acitiviated it on hand held?
thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #30
amder

Thank you Alan. All this is new for me.

Ahmer, as you know I'm new to this so I hope I'm giving the right assistance. I reactivated the password by going onto the server, opening BlackBerry Manager, and click on the tab "Users." Right click on the user (I only have one) and then "Set Activation Password." I leave the expiration time as 48 hours (default). On the handheld, I found these steps online:

Options > Enterprise Activation, Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation, or Settings > Options > Advanced Options > Enterprise Activation

Honestly, my boss is SO busy that I never had it for more than 5 minutes. He was the one that activated it on the handheld. I hope the above steps are correct. The email that you must enter is the one you set up on the BPS. The password is the activation password.
Closed Thread