BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
llcamino

Model: 7520
Default Nextel frustration!

Please Login to Remove!

I just hooked up my Nextel 7520 and connected to my hotmail account using POP3. I keep getting messages that are saying they're carrying data between my blackberry and hotmail account. It also says that I cannot delete them. Here are my questions:

1. Will these messages automatically delete themselves?
2. Can I really delete them?

It's getting really annoying and it's only been 3 hours since I hooked it up. It seems like it'll just be easier to go through the MSN/Hotmail link in NOL.

2 other unrelated questions.

Can you set the light to come on with the touch of any button? Seems all the instructions say is to use the power key to illuminate it when it's dark. That seems a little odd that in order to get light, you've got to hunt around for the smallest key.

Also, how do I receive pictures? Wife tried to send a picture to my phone # through her phone, nothing????

Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Are u using the BB Web Client and the Redirector. If so, this is the cause of getting that email. You can delete those emails

THe light. Look under Aftermarket section and look for BBlight. This software will make the light come on with any activity on the BB.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
llcamino

thx for the reply. I don't know if I'm using the web client or not. I guess I am. I signed up on Nextel's site where I put in my hotmail info to get it to access it. Is there a better way to go about it?

Also, I'm signed up to get 3MB of use on my plan. Do I get charged for all incoming emails, or just the ones I open?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 07:02 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Ill tell you hotmail doesnt work well with pop at all you are always going to be fighting it better to forward your hotmail to the BB I had a hotmail account took sometimes days to get my mail sometimes I didnt get it at all. Hotmail really sucks as a mail application in my opinion anyway. I use Gmail and it works very well. All of your questions are already answered through out these forums a few good searches and you will be a master in no time.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

i also have nextel your better off getting the unlimited plan 99.00 for them both data and phone that way unlimited data, email, incomming phone, 300 min out for phone
that way no worries on overage
Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcamino
I just hooked up my Nextel 7520 and connected to my hotmail account using POP3. I keep getting messages that are saying they're carrying data between my blackberry and hotmail account. It also says that I cannot delete them.

Thanks
You need to uninstall Desktop Manager through Add/Remove Programs. Then open up your Registry Editor (Start-->Run-->regedit) and navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE section and delete the Research in Motion folder. Reboot and re-install desktop manager. (Be sure to only select BlackBerry Web Client or BlackBerry Internet Service). DO NOT SELECT BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Desktop Redirector. You should be good to go.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
llcamino

Just to clarify....this will enable me to still have my hotmail messages delivered without the "extra" emails? Just checking before I do it.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Just to clarify....this will enable me to still have my hotmail messages delivered without the "extra" emails? Just checking before I do it.

Thanks
The extra emails you were getting were called "flycatcher" emails that are used to grab your messages and forward them to your BB. (Only when using redirector and only when keeping your PC on while you want to receive email). Follow these steps and make sure your Web Client account has all of your emails integrated into it and you will be fine.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

the spacebar also turns on the light if you are on the main screen
Old 09-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
72BB90

Model: 7290

Quote:
I just hooked up my Nextel 7520 and connected to my hotmail account using POP3. I keep getting messages that are saying they're carrying data between my blackberry and hotmail account. It also says that I cannot delete them. Here are my questions:

1. Will these messages automatically delete themselves?
2. Can I really delete them?

It's getting really annoying and it's only been 3 hours since I hooked it up. It seems like it'll just be easier to go through the MSN/Hotmail link in NOL.

2 other unrelated questions.

Can you set the light to come on with the touch of any button? Seems all the instructions say is to use the power key to illuminate it when it's dark. That seems a little odd that in order to get light, you've got to hunt around for the smallest key.

Also, how do I receive pictures? Wife tried to send a picture to my phone # through her phone, nothing????

Thanks
Ill tell you one thing, Nextel support suxx - I called in for a friend of mine who was getting "uncaught exception" when accessing address book. We were immediately placed on hold for 12 min while she was "researching the issue". I removed the battery and error disappeared so I hung up. Just my 2 cents of how Nextel suxx
Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
BlackberryTechAgent

Hi. I am Nextel/Sprint Blackberry Support and I have to say to Blackberry Newbie that our tech support team works extremely hard! That uncaught exception error typically means that the BB Handheld software is corrupt(ing). Usually the first thing we do when customers get Uncaught Exception is to do a hard reset (remove the battery and hold power button down for 30 seconds). Occasionally this will fix the issue temporarily, but the majority of the time we recommend reloading Handheld software because when you start getting error like that it is a sure sign that in the near future you are going to need to reload the software anyway.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:53 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Angry Grow Up

I get placed on hold no matter where I call that is just a fact of life, I have called support quite a few times since i have been with nextel (9 years) I have on occasion considered them idiots as well. But for the most part they are on the ball and will work with you as long as it takes to get the peroblem resolved. So you are basing your statemnet on a one time call for an account thats not even yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BB90
Ill tell you one thing, Nextel support suxx - I called in for a friend of mine who was getting "uncaught exception" when accessing address book. We were immediately placed on hold for 12 min while she was "researching the issue". I removed the battery and error disappeared so I hung up. Just my 2 cents of how Nextel suxx
Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #13
!SexyChica!
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I work for nextel support as well. I can guarantee you if you are on hold that long it is because we are trying to help! I know I don't know everything, and if I run into something I will definitely help until I have exhausted all my options! I think I transfer a call once or twice a month to the next level. I even do more than what is expected from my level. I can't speak for everyone but i can say speak for the people I work with, we work hard. We do everything possible to help.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM   #14
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well let's just hope Sprint takes Nextel's approach to customer service, and not vice versa. Hands down, Sprint has THE worst customer service I've ever experienced. They make Cingular look like a capable company, and that's sayin' something.

Generally, I'm pleased w/ Nextel support (until I mention the phrase "split billing.")

But getting back on topic... Two things that haven't been mentioned:

1. 7250 vs Battery Life. You may not want the backlight turning on as often.
2. The only way I've been able to get pictures from other people is when they send it to my email address, but I'm also on a BES. I'm not sure how well this solution would work otherwise.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
Serophis

Actually, to fix this you won't need to do the clean uninstall. If you run the install program, choose Modify, then choose the second option on email config (think it is Blackberry Web Client Internet Email or something), it will stop the redirector on the desktop. Then you need to delete the desktop service books on the blackberry by clicking on options>service book>deleting the two that say Desktop.

The flycatcher emails you are getting from RIM are because of a conflict with running both webclient and redirector. The default install of the desktop manager implies that you should use redirector, as it is the older option for getting email and doesn't use as much of the RIM servers (redirector makes you keep your PC on at ALL TIMES to get any email, but webclient uses RIM servers to store email so you don't even NEED a computer).
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #16
Serophis

True, Cassidy...I work with Nextel BB support and escalate maybe three or four a month...Nextel takes great pride in the training of their blackberry department, and it is very rare that you will find a problem that you can't crack (unless you get a newer agent, which in such a rapidly growing industry is to be expected once in awhile).
Closed Thread