Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None
Default Rant: Ronen

Please Login to Remove!

Serious what is up with this guy!? is he trying to get himself sued by RIMs legal ninjas? first, he post the links for the 4.5.0.37, then does the same for .42... and now the links for DM 4.6... did he not get the hint the first cease and desist letter he got? serious... its kinda pissing me off that he wants to piss them off that bad...

GGGRRRRR

/end rant
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Don't hold back, Cory. Tell us how you really feel.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Agreed
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

wow go cory go
Old 06-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

why do you even care what Ronen is doing. It is not your problem what legal issues he may have.....the problem with the world today is everyone is so worried about what everyone else is doing!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i care, because of him doing and further leaking the beta software, we get people here wondering whats wrong with BETA software and why they can do this or that... so in the end it does affect me and many others!

ps

this is a rant forum... i can B*tCh all i like, hence why thats here :P
Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter View Post
why do you even care what Ronen is doing. It is not your problem what legal issues he may have.....the problem with the world today is everyone is so worried about what everyone else is doing!!!!
Get your facts straight. What he does on this forum AFFECTS US ALL!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
cyberhound
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

CO_BBTechie, What exactly does he do on this forum that affects you? Specifically relating to the topic at hand please. It seems that this Ronen character has put BETA software links on HIS site. How does that truly affect this site? Other than traffic caused by people asking questions about BETA software how does it affect anyone? It affects the owners of the site as they pay for bandwidth. But, unless you are an owner how are you affected unless you choose to be affected by involving yourself in those discussions.

And Mr. Scheuer how does people wondering what is wrong with BETA software affect you in any way unless YOU allow it to affect YOU. It'd be different if someone installed BETA software on YOUR stuff, but so long as they install on their stuff, you can simply click on through without responding or caring.

I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs about what this Ronen guy does. But I really don't see why you guys care what he does unless you own this place.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 06-11-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

watch your language please cyberhound. i have edited your post accordingly to remove that.

And what Ronen does affects the entire community. It causes problems and more work for everyone involved. More crap, more complaints, more replacement SIMs more replacement devices, more customer service calls, all of which cost money. The more things cost to develop, the more they cost to consumers at some level. And the fact that he has access to this, and only certain people at RIM have the beta OS's before release, people will lose their jobs.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhound View Post
CO_BBTechie, What exactly does he do on this forum that affects you? Specifically relating to the topic at hand please. It seems that this Ronen character has put BETA software links on HIS site. How does that truly affect this site? Other than traffic caused by people asking questions about BETA software how does it affect anyone? It affects the owners of the site as they pay for bandwidth. But, unless you are an owner how are you affected unless you choose to be affected by involving yourself in those discussions.

And Mr. Scheuer how does people wondering what is wrong with BETA software affect you in any way unless YOU allow it to affect YOU. It'd be different if someone installed BETA software on YOUR stuff, but so long as they install on their stuff, you can simply click on through without responding or caring.

I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs about what this Ronen guy does. But I really don't see why you guys care what he does unless you own this place.
Distributing the software is against the software agreements that many of us agree to. NOT stopping it would be a violation of not only the agreement but a standard code of ethics.

I don't own the site, but I still don't want this site publicizing software piracy.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhound View Post

<cracks knuckles> Alrighty then.

First off, it was unclear to me that the user had posted elsewhere, so apparently I didn't have my own facts straight. For that I apologize... last time I checked I still had human appendages. Suffice it to say I stand by the rest of my statement.

Secondly, why are YOU concerned about all this? For someone who claims we shouldn't care about it, YOU seem to care an awful lot how we feel. I suggest you take your own advice and just let it all roll off your back
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
<cracks knuckles> I suggest you take your own advice and just let it all roll off your back

Wad I dew???
Old 06-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

and the king crapper comes in
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Wad I dew???
That was not directed towards you, but rather the individual who chose to single ME out, when he had not previously contributed to this thread
Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
and the king crapper comes in
Thank you, thank you very much....

Agreed!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Oh well, I'm having a cook off over in another thread, if any of you want to join me.
At least I think it was a cook off. Whatever it is that " **** off" means.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
cyberhound
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
<cracks knuckles> Alrighty then.

First off, it was unclear to me that the user had posted elsewhere, so apparently I didn't have my own facts straight. For that I apologize... last time I checked I still had human appendages. Suffice it to say I stand by the rest of my statement.

Secondly, why are YOU concerned about all this? For someone who claims we shouldn't care about it, YOU seem to care an awful lot how we feel. I suggest you take your own advice and just let it all roll off your back

Fair enough, I don't know that I really care that much, more than just being relatively new to the BB scene and having curiosity over what all the fuss is about. It would appear this Ronen cat, and I know about his site, is a bit of a loose cannon in the community and is putting himself at legal risk, but I just wondered why everyone was so upset about it. Being a libertarian at heart, I tend to let people who seemed to determined to do so(after being warned of the risks of course), deal with their own messes. This would include someone like Ronen or anyone who installs BETA software and screws it up. This doesn't mean I'm heartless, I might lend some help, but I'm not gonna get all jacked up and steaming mad over someone's BB maps not working right on a BETA version of 4.5. They took the risk after being warned. I'll even admit that I took that risk, mainly because I love to tinker with software and generally wanted some of the features now. The difference is that I read and understood the risks and took the time to read ahead to find a way to get myself back to 4.2 if I screwed it up. I have switched back and forth a couple of times and am now back on 4.5 sans BB maps which I don't use anyway. Sith Apprentice has good points in his response, but I do take umbrage to the people at RIM losing their jobs because of OS leaks. If you take a job at RIM, and you agree to their confidentiality agreements, and then you leak their OS, I think you probably deserve it when they fire you.

I do find it interesting though that in reading through the usuall install warnings, legals, and agreements on the 4.5 stuff that I have yet to see a reference to it being beta software. Usually you see that somewhere on beta stuff.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
CO_BBTechie

Then I think this poor horse is dead. Again as Cory pointed out, this is a rant and rave area of this forum and designed specifically for this purpose so these posts don't clutter up the other area.

Carry on then... hip hip and all that.

I'm out
Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think we here at BBF, being the largest and most active BB community, end up getting to support all the OS 4.5 beta installs, issues, downgrades, googly maps not working, JiveTalk not working, gps not working, etc. In those matters, we come into play.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Sorry to start such a uproar....just not sure why Ronen posting on his site is his problem or BBFs problem. Lets face it, this site is around to get traffic...you should all be thanking Ronen to some extent (and probably are secretly) because without all of the beta isssues and non-beta issues that people and other inquiries that come up this site would have not traffic, which means no advertising money coming in. The fact is sites like this are supported by advertising just like our friends at Yahoo, Google and MSN. The more traffic and the more click throughs that come from BBF to the advertisers the more money for the site.

Yes it is more work for everyone that runs the site and for those of us that are just BB fans that want to be part of a community that can experiment with new software and post our experiences and help each other out. However, if it was not for the revenue from the advertisers the support would decrease and the site would no longer be the greatest BB forum around. Also, the "Beta You Than Me" group would not have been started if it was such a problem to help out with the posters. In fact, it would not surprise me if BBF created that group because it was expected to get the most traffic and was charging more for ad space because of it (which by the way was brilliant from a revenue and marketing perspective) if I do say so myself.

Finally, don't give me this ethics garbage. You have no ethical obligations to police others actions. Your only obligation is to comply with the terms of your NDA with RIM and not enforce it with others. So don't get altruistic on us all, PLEASE!!!!!!!
Closed Thread