Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default 7520 Group Connect

Please Login to Remove!

Ever since the Nextel website has been incorporated into teh Sprint Nextel website, I couldn't find any information on using Group Connect with the 7520. How do I use this feature?

I'm looking to Group it on the road with my buddies. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

7520 doesn't do group connect. My understanding is that group connect, unlike the group call within the same subfleet, is all handled by the phone. Only the newer Nextels have this feature. Not sure if it is a software thing that may be available in the future.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

My friends have the i860's and their Group Connect feature was buried in the options which I believe was also greyed out.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:11 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

no group connect listed in the features sorry my friend

Spell Check
Send email messages spelled correctly. Spell check application helps you identify and correct mis-spelled words on the spot. Download the Spell Check application directly from your BlackBerry handheld. Available in English only. Click here to learn how.
Wireless Access to Email
Get all your email in one place wirelessly. Receive emails from your corporate and personal email accounts. Microsoft Outlook, IBM Lotus Notes, GroupWise and Internet email capable. Click here to learn more.
Digital Cellular Phone
Operates on Nextel's National Network as a digital cellular phone. Talk with or without a hands-free device.
Bluetooth®-Enabled
Talk hands-free with a wireless earpiece. Walk as far away as 30 feet from the BlackBerry 7520 handheld using a Bluetooth®-Enabled device.
GPS-Enabled Navigation
Supports third-party GPS navigation applications. Get turn-by-turn driving directions on or off the road. Click here to learn more.
Speakerphone
Safe, hands-free cellular conversations are always available with the built-in speakerphone.
Direct Connect
Direct Connect® - the walkie-talkie service that instantly connects you to all other Nextel users - across town, across the country, and now even across borders to Latin America and Canada.
Personal Organizer
Easy access to your email, address book, calendar, notes, and tasks while you're mobile.
Wireless Personal Organizer Synchronization*
Automatically synchronizes your calendar, address book, tasks, and notes while you’re away from the office.
Enhanced Attachment Viewing*
View and store JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PPT files. Pan, zoom, and rotate pictures. Save images directly from an attachment in a separate application for easy viewing.
Java Software Applications
Runs company specific or third party software applications that are powered by Java, a popular programming language. Click here for a list of third party applications that are compatible with a BlackBerry Handheld from Nextel.
Web Browsing
The built-in Web access provides real time access to check sports scores, news, weather, stocks and market indexes, as well as to shop on-line.
Ring tones, Vibrating and Visual Alerts
Set device to ring or quietly vibrate when receiving Nextel Direct Connect calls, messages and Voice Mail.
High Resolution 65K Color Display
Vibrant display with enhanced clarity and white backlighting resembles a computer desktop. Allows you to easily work, talk and browse the way you would at your desk.
Configurable Backlight
Configure the display for any setting, light or dark. Highest setting has the brightness of a small flashlight.
Enhanced Memory
Load more applications and save more emails with 32 MB Flash and 4 MB SRAM.
Qwerty Key Board
Enter text and numbers quickly and easily.
Easy Menu Driven Operation
The roller wheel provides one button operation to easily access all key functions of the Nextel BlackBerry.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
TheWastedYears
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

In the phone options, under "Push To Talk" settings, there's a "Silence Group Connect" option, but that's the only thing I can find.

Does this mean it'll take, but not give? So rude.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I guess I just feel lucky to be able to call users from other sub-fleets now. Back when I first got nextel you had to send them a paper authorized by the admins of both subfleets, the pope and an act of congress to DC call cross-fleet. I think if they were able to do a cross-fleet group connect on their end they would have offered it long ago. That's why they figured out how to build the capavility into the handset.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I guess I just feel lucky to be able to call users from other sub-fleets now. Back when I first got nextel you had to send them a paper authorized by the admins of both subfleets, the pope and an act of congress to DC call cross-fleet. I think if they were able to do a cross-fleet group connect on their end they would have offered it long ago. That's why they figured out how to build the capavility into the handset.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
jwaters

If you are talking about group direct connect I have a group on my 7520. It was set up through Nextel, they need the ID's of all the phones you want to be connected. You'll be given a DC ID group number, such as #150. Then go to the phone app, select Options and Push to Talk. Scroll down to Current Talkgroup and change the option to the talkgroup number you were given. Make sure it has the # sign in front. Then go to your address book and add the group. Call it whatever you want i.e. My Group. Under the DC number put in the group # again ..... MAKE SURE IT HAS THE # SIGN IN FRONT OR IT WON'T WORK!!! In my example group, it would be DC number is #150. Now when you DC that contact it will contact everyone in that group at the same time just like a group call.

When you call Nextel make sure you have account information for everyone you want in the group so they can be added. If there is a password needed to change information on the account make sure you have that info too.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
jwaters

Forgot to add in the previous post .... The group I have set up are from different agencies so you don't all have to be from the same billing. Your fleet number MUST be the same for it to work however. The fleet number is that middle number, for example, if your DC number is 130*47*1234, you must all be of the same fleet, 47. I believe the first number has to be the same also, however I also think that if the fleet number is the same that first one would be also.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Typically the only way you would have the same fleet/subfleet would be to be in same company or industry segment. I.e. all business users in my fam start with 158 while I have 162 which I think is for private usere.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
jwaters

You can change your fleet though. When we set up our group there were several people at one hospital who were in fleet 43 and we were in fleet 47. They called and had their fleet changed to match ours.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for that info, didn't realize that was option. Maybe all this will go away when nextel implements new dc handling system. They're calling it Next generation dispatch. Will hope that it will provide more features to end users.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 AM   #13
atwageman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VERIZON

Future Nextel BB's will have SDGC group connect feature. It's a lot easier than having to use the old Talkgroups method.
Closed Thread