BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #41
JeffAUV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

To answer the OP's question, with light use (when I am not travelling), I get about 4 days out of it. Heavy use (handling 100% of my phone calls and e-mails), I get about 2 days, but I generally charge up every night anyway.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #42
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I could get about 2 days with my usage stats.

I normally charge the phone when I get home at the end of the day because I don't want to be caught with a low battery. I go through about 50-60% of the battery life every day.

At first I was getting horrible battery life but back then I didn't realize that if I left a lot of applications running in the background that it would eat up my battery life even when I wasn't actually using the phone. I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum before but if you are getting poor battery life that's the first thing I'd recommend checking.

With all that said, the thing that impresses me most about the battery is how quickly it charges back to full strength.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #43
thepoutypanda

Location: New Orleans and New York City (Two weeks a month in each city!)
Carrier: Tmobile
Talking It Worked For Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungy
thepoutypanda, did you "break-in" your battery? ie. fully discharge/charge it a few times in the beginning?
When I first got it, I plugged it in until it was fully charged and THEN I turned it on. For the first week or so, I did not charge it until it was dead. Now, I just do it whenever. It rarely goes down to the last bar because by then, about two days would've passed and I'd charge it anyway.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #44
thepoutypanda

Location: New Orleans and New York City (Two weeks a month in each city!)
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAUV
You do not need to do this with these batteries.
I don't think it's necessary to charge/discharge the battery, but it's what I do with all my electronics that come with half a battery in 'em. My understanding of battery cells is that continually charging them makes some cells die out, and that draining them helps increase the battery life.

This is going to sound crazy, but I've had the same laptop for over three years and I use it every day and it's on all the time. The only upgrade I've done is expanding the RAM and I got a bigger hard drive (comp uses centrino processor). Can you believe that my battery can still last FOUR HOURS before it pops up with the "LOW BATTERY" bubble? Yes, FOUR HOURS after three years. I always drain my battery and the second it's done charging, I unplug it.

I know a ton of people who get about 4 hours of battery life in the first year, but after that, it literally goes down to about 1-2 hours. If it works for my comp, I'm sure it'll work for the phone, too.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #45
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAUV
You do not need to do this with these batteries.
Actually you do need to do recalibrate Li-Ion batteries periodically and initially with a full discharge/recharge cycle. The distinction is that this is not because of the chemistry of the battery - which is very resistant to memory effect - but due to the electronics in the battery which guard against harmful over-draining and over-charging. The electronics need to experience the ends of the spectrum periodically in order to calibrate their gauge so they can do their job.

See this link for more info (the list of recommendations is at the bottom of the page):

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

There's a chance that the batteries have already had their initial calibration done at the factory when you get them, but it doesn't hurt to add one (or 2) more full cycle(s) on a new battery to make sure. Otherwise, the electronics in your battery might not know how much power is in the battery.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #46
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Bookmark'd.
Closed Thread