BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
icepulse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100T
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I'm watching 1-2 Simpsons episodes, browsing a bit and about 15 min-20 min. of talking.... PLUS emails. I can barely see that the bar is diminished.

The 7100t sucks worse.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #22
slevin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

sometimes the first bar seems to go by quick, but then lasts all day and all night for me after that with total browsing.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #23
sputnik2k6

my use of the phone: moderate texting (25-75 a day)
at least 2 hours of talk time a day
heavy browsing (2-3 hours of reading a day)

so when I first got the phone, battery life SUCKED. I really had complaints about how bad it was, it was basically the only thing wrong with the phone. I tweaked the settings a little bit turning the backlight brightness to 50% and the backlight timeout to 10sec. and the battery life SHOT up. Today I've barely gotten it below 85% while previous days I was hitting 25-35%. just tweak a little, and you'll have the perfect blackberry.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:38 AM   #24
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciman
are you all serious??!!! 2-3 days!!! that's about as BAD as the nokia N80 i had!!! 2-3days of battery life is pathetic!! i got this because it's supposed to be 15 days of standby!!! i might consider keeping the N80,, that phone's functions are above and beyond the pearl as i'm seeing!!
you have to understand that when they say standyby they mean the phone is on but you are not using it (wireless off) i got my pearl mondya afternoon so i transfered over the info from the 8700 when it was at about 85 percent its been sitting on my desk since monday afternoon with wireless off since then and its at 35. not to mention ive gone a FULL day as in 24 hours with the battery at 35 percent with heavy email and internet usage and minimal voice.

Keep in mind voice eats up the most battery.

also read up on the forums on how to maximize battery life when youget a new phone
Old 09-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #25
jpeezy

Carrier: Tmobile

Would it save more battery life to have auto backlight on or off?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #26
jpeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthateme13
you have to understand that when they say standyby they mean the phone is on but you are not using it (wireless off) i got my pearl mondya afternoon so i transfered over the info from the 8700 when it was at about 85 percent its been sitting on my desk since monday afternoon with wireless off since then and its at 35. not to mention ive gone a FULL day as in 24 hours with the battery at 35 percent with heavy email and internet usage and minimal voice.

Keep in mind voice eats up the most battery.

also read up on the forums on how to maximize battery life when youget a new phone
Would you mind pointing us to said threads? I searched but didn't come up with anything...
Old 09-23-2006, 01:40 AM   #27
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy
Would you mind pointing us to said threads? I searched but didn't come up with anything...

Here you go
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...lackberry.html

thanks to mark and this great forum.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #28
zenxacred
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy

Also the screen is far brighter than necessary so I've turned down brightness to 20 (out of 100). Still debating if I need auto-dim on or off. I know that on my powerbook bringing down the brightness (to a point where it's still absolutely tolerable) saves a shitton of battery life.

Anyone else experimented with this yet?
did you notice that after changing the setting from the default 100 and then changing it back to 100 doesn't produce the same result?

i swear the default 100 was brighter than when i changed it to 80 and then back to 100.

i'm going insane i think xD

but anyway to answer the question i get around 2 days on my battery with heavy internet and moderate phone usage.

edit: oh and constant bluetooth headset usage (always on) i should stop that lol

Last edited by zenxacred; 09-23-2006 at 06:58 AM..
Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #29
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Mine needs charging about every two days.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I average:
1 hour/day watching movies
1 hour/day playing games
1 hour/day sending email/texts
1 hour/day doing other assorted things (surfing, reading email, phone calls, etc.)

My backlight brightness is at 50%, the backlight timeout is at 2 minutes (mostly because I use the backlight as a flashlight at night sometimes, and having the timeout set at less than 2 minutes means the "flashlight" constantly turns off).

By 6:00 pm, I am usually at about 15-20% juice left. So yes, I charge every single evening.

The good news is that (unlike my previous phone, SideKick II) it takes less than 1 hour for me to recharge the 8100 completely, assuming I'm not playing with it the whole time it's plugged in. Just charge it during your favorite TV show, and unplug when it's over. No big deal.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #31
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

I was actually surprised at how fast the battery charges up too. My other phone (Samsung E715) took about 2-3 hours.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #32
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Just to let foks know in passing, we are almost at the end of our 3200mAh battery development and we should be able to release it within a few weeks. Though it will change the form factor a bit, the increased battery capacity should be a boon to power users.

David
[email address]
Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #33
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
Just to let foks know in passing, we are almost at the end of our 3200mAh battery development and we should be able to release it within a few weeks. Though it will change the form factor a bit, the increased battery capacity should be a boon to power users.

David
[email address]

3200mAh??? That's almost ludicrous... I'm imagining that it would double the depth of the Pearl... but I'm interested to see what it looks like

-S
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #34
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

^^yeah, I'd like to see some pics once its complete.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #35
thepoutypanda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Location: New Orleans and New York City (Two weeks a month in each city!)

I get great battery life out of mine. I'm definitely using it a lot for the voice capabilities (I'm a consultant) and when I'm not talking on the phone, I'm typically using the browser. I keep my messaging service on since my colleagues tend to IM me rather than eat up my minutes.

I have the 1000 anytime minutes and unlimited EVERYTHING (literally). I go about 1.5-2 days without charging and I would say that that is pretty darn good. If you had a BB and were only using it for data (emails, pulling files, etc.), then I can see it lasting several days, but if you're a heavy duty user, I don't see how it could last LONGER than that because after just a one hour convo, the phone is heating up.

For the person loving their nokia... okay, get over it. You must never use it or have a need for it. I think all serious BB users probably only get about 2 days use without charging.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #36
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

I use yak-on and bluetooth a whole day. I probably answer about 100-150 emails. Talk for about an hour on the phone. about an hour of internet surfing..... it really is easier to rss and look at live pages on my 8100... instead of jumping on the computer for a few minutes...I have almost half battery life by 11pm.

I also charge my phone everynight.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #37
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

thepoutypanda, did you "break-in" your battery? ie. fully discharge/charge it a few times in the beginning?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #38
TellarHK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I suspect that a big contributor to battery issues is likely to be how often the device is looking for a better tower. It's seemed to me that with some phones I've had in the past, the weaker my signal strength, the lower the battery life. And T-Mobile towers aren't known for being the strongest ones out there either. On many days, I work from areas that have a fairly low signal and have a lot of vibrating/ringing messages come in. Today, I spent several hours with the speaker off, in a room with fairly good signal, and I only dropped down to 80% on my battery. Some days, I've hit as low as 65% with heavy use. So I suspect it has a lot to do with how much use you give the system, how much it has to fight for a signal, and how bright your backlight is. Mine is currently set to 80.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #39
pandyamilan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dciman
i'd like to find out what type of battery life all the new pearl owners are getting.. typical useage and how is the battery working for you? thanks
mine works for 4 days, i use it as phone and talk for like 2 hrs each day. and i usually charge it using my travel charger, since i don't like to charge it using my computer's usb.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #40
JeffAUV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungy
thepoutypanda, did you "break-in" your battery? ie. fully discharge/charge it a few times in the beginning?

You do not need to do this with these batteries.
Closed Thread