eyalo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default MDS Server simulator

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

i am new to all the BB development but it is fun and i am really enjoying it.
i am using the BB VS plugin and developed an application that uses Web services to display data.

i want to use the MDS server simulator and present that application using my BB device (not device simulator).

i installed the MDS server simulator on my local machine for now and i can see the start page of the MDS server, but i cannot see any configuration i can do or any way to connect my device to it.

i don't see alos any administration links to it.

i need to understand the steps of using the MDS simulator so i can publish my application and use it on my device.

also how can i connect my device to that MDS server.

thanks in advance,
eyal
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Not sure if that is going to be possible... There are two different parts of MDS. One is the regular MDS that is the connection services for connecting your device with your corporate LAN. This is the software that you downloaded.

The second part is the MDS Services, which is what is used to store and publish MDS Runtime applications that are created in the VS Plugin. I believe they call this the "Registry" and "Repository" from the publishing screens in the VS Plugin.

The connection services acts as the gateway from the device to talk to the MDS Services to download and install applications.

So if you do get your device connected to the MDS server simulator, you will still need to find a way to get your device to talk through it to a MDS Services server that has your VS Plugin application on it.

The easiest way to test it on a device is to publish the application to your BES that you can make sure that MDS Services is installed on. Then you can get the application out and on your device.

In general the MDS Runtime applications are required to be deployed into a BES environment so you pretty much need a BES to test your application on a real device.

Last edited by brcewane; 10-17-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
eyalo

Thank you for the information and your quick reply.

my problem is that our company BES is hosted by a different company that host many companies on the same BES so they are not willing to do so.

is there another way i can write an application that is undepended in the MDS and still consume web services? i want to install it on my device for a presentation.

thanks again
Eyal

Last edited by eyalo; 10-17-2007 at 09:34 AM..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

You would have to write a Java application to do something that is totally un-reliant on the MDS. In the Java application you would have to use your carrieer's APN instead of the Blackberry one.

There are a few threads on here where people were using some Java code for webservices.

However if you want to host a webservice on a machine that is inside your corporate firewall, you must have an MDS server (not the MDS Services part of it) to perform the communications.

If your device is already paired with a BES (and it sounds like it is), I don't think you can pair your device to two servers, so I don't think you will be able to get your device to talk to your MDS Server simulator.

You can do a quick and easy check to see if your device can actually hit the webservice you are trying to use by putting the path to the WSDL file into your blackberry browser on the device and see if it can reach it.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
eyalo

i can get to my web service from my BlackBerry browser.

i understand that i need to do a java application probably using the "BlackBerry Java Development Environment"

but before i get down to do it is it possible to get the jar file that was created by the "BlackBerry VS plugin" and load it to the java development environment and just compile it there?

if yes do i need to do any special changes or configuration to verify that it will use the jar properly?

thanks
eyal
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

The jar file that is created by the BlackBerry VS plugin contains MDS Runtime files which are a combination of XML and JavaScript and are interpreted by the MDS Runtime software on the device (An optional module)

These aren't Java compatible files. If you get the JDE, you will have to write your application again from scratch in Java.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
eyalo

thanks again,

since i start all over i have some questions regarding to java.

is there a way to work with the eclipse and the BB JDE?
is there a good tool to create the screens in java?

thanks again for all your help,
eyal
Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Once it starts to go into the Java world, I start to have less and less info for you

I know that some people are using Eclipse and the BB JDE in a kind of hybrid mode and I don't know of any screen designer for BB Java.. a search on this board or posting some specific questions will likely get you further than what I can answer.

Best of luck
Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 AM   #9
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

i don't know of any tool used to create screens, helps a lot if you write your own extension of the mainscreen class and use it as a basis though.

as far as eclipse and the JDE merge i have no problems as long as i work my files in a single project. pretty sure you can go further but i am a bit lost with the ant-files.
just make a search for eclipse in the forums and you'll digg out the step-for-step guide which is quite easy to follow even without knowing what you are doing
Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
eyalo

thank you very much for you help guys.

i succeeded using the eclipse and thr BB simulator but i am getting strange errors for undefined classes that are in the net_rim_api.jar file, he can see and use the classes but when i am trying to compile i am getting the following error:

"The type net.rim.device.internal.ui.Cursor cannot be resolved it is indirectly referenced from required .class file"

thanks in advance,
eyal
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
eyalo

Looks like all I had to do was change the Eclipse java compiler settings from the default of 5.0 to 1.3.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
fraja

Model: 7100T
Carrier: N/A

Thank you eyalo for coming back with the answer to your question, changing to 1.3 compiler also helped me out too!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #13
jenselense
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700v
Carrier: ChinaMobile

me too
Closed Thread