BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
shabbaranks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Re-syncing device doesnt have old e-mails - any ideas please?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

Sorry for my ignorance (I'm still trying to grasp all this Blackberry stuff) A user here had problems with his Blackberry so the idea was to re-sync his account to a different handset. Anyway to cut a long story short it was decided half way through he wanted his old handset.

Now it doesnt display any old e-mails just the new ones which come through, is there anyway to get the old message on the device?

Thanks loads to everyone for your help.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Did you do a backup? If so, restore the Messages database. Otherwise, no joy.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Nowadays I recommend running "Switch devices wizzard" on Desktop manager 4.2 to change devices as it brings across all the historic info..but of course you need to have done that originally..
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
shabbaranks

Sorry I dont understand - restore the messages database? Within the Blackberry admin on the server it displays that the user has x amout of messages, does this mean the data is still stored somewhere? Also I think the Blackberry server is on the backup somewhere - is it a matter or restoring the sql database? If so wont this effect other users? SOrry I'm just trying to understand whats required.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

No - I meant did you take a backup of the BlackBerry in Desktop Manager.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
amygiven

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

****Before you try this you may want to empty your trash in Lotus Notes or Outlook first******

We use Lotus Notes for our email and we can delete the messages from our inbox and then restore them from trash. This resends them back to the Blackberry. I'm not sure if this will work from Outlook but it can't hurt to try.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

I believe the pre-population is only done during the initial enterprise activation. Any activation after that only pushes clean service books.

You need to remove the user off the BES and re-add if you want to re-populate a device.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I believe the pre-population is only done during the initial enterprise activation. Any activation after that only pushes clean service books.

You need to remove the user off the BES and re-add if you want to re-populate a device.
Definitely in BES 4.1, if you are changing one blackberry phone for a new one, message pre population WILL work. The only time that it does not work is if you are re-activating an existing BES user on a device with the same PIN as is already shown for that user in BlackBerry Manager. As long as a different physical device is used, message pre-population will always work for existing users.
Deleting the user from BES will mean they will also lose all their backed up settings such as bookmark browsers, call logs, font settings, blah blah. IMO removing users from BES ought to be a "last resort"
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
shabbaranks

Hi, it was a panic decision made by one of the managers who then reverted back to the original set up. A new device will be here on Friday anyway so it should pull down all the old emails and everything will be fine.

One trick I was going to try was to set the messages as unread and then that would (I think) trigger the Blackberry to pick them up again. Then re-mark them as read. But like I said a new device is en-route now so everything should be fine.

Thanks again guys - you really know ya stuff!!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Hi, it was a panic decision made by one of the managers who then reverted back to the original set up. A new device will be here on Friday anyway so it should pull down all the old emails and everything will be fine.
In fact it won't. By default the most you'll get is up to 5 days or 200 messages ... whichever it hits first. You can change this (up to 14 days / 750 messages with BES 4.1), but this person won't get all their mail.

Quote:
One trick I was going to try was to set the messages as unread and then that would (I think) trigger the Blackberry to pick them up again. Then re-mark them as read.
This wouldn't have worked.

Quote:
But like I said a new device is en-route now so everything should be fine.
... or at least this person will be happy enough.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
jst

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Is there a 'best practice' for users that want to manually repopulate certain folders? The basic technique I guess is to fwd each message from Outlook to another e-mail address then forward back to the BES integrated address?
Closed Thread