Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
TouranMan

Model: 8700g
Carrier: O2
Default Single exchange account - multiple blackberry access

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

I wonder if you could help. At work, there are 3 of us in our department, each having our own exchange email with a BB. We now have the requirement to have an additional, single point of contact via email for our department and our IT department have set up an additional email account for which we can access in Outlook. Trouble is we also need this sent to all our BB's as well.

First thing, is what I'm asking feasible? If not, how do other companies deal with this kind of requirement (i.e. on-call?)

Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
fiffer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

You can set up a distribution list but you will only be able to receive emails from the Alias. You can set up a mailbox and have that mailbox forward to the users. You can POP the new mailbox (make sure you select the option 'leave messages on server).
Old 11-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
TouranMan

Thanks fiffer, we use distribution lists for other purposes so that would be an option but I should have mentioned we will also need to send email from the new address on our BB's. Is this possible?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouranMan View Post
Thanks fiffer, we use distribution lists for other purposes so that would be an option but I should have mentioned we will also need to send email from the new address on our BB's. Is this possible?
you mean 'john doe sending on behalf ot [email address]' - then no it can't be done currently.. One BES account links one mailbox to one handheld - so any data send from that handheld will come from that users mailbox only...as I say in my training courses..

"your blackberry is a remote control for your email/calendar/taks"

A workaround might be to have a BIS account setup so that 'send from' appears to come from [email address] and send from that BUT and it's a big BUT - any sent items thru that account are lost to mail servers/audit trails unless you cc: or bcc: youselves in

Oh - and I'd suggest posting in "BES admin corner" in future which is where all the BESgurus hang out...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
TouranMan

Cheers Bertie, thanks for that. I guess it's up to our IT dept. to find a solution then!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

If you were to set the account up with BIS as IMAP or OWA it should drop the sent items into the Sent Items folder. I'm not sure whether multiple BIS accounts accessing the same acct would be problematic though...

Another idea - and one I don't have any experience of - is to use a rule or some kind of VBA to copy messages that drop into the public folder into a sub-folder of your inbox, and make sure you have that folder on your BB. I'll leave it to others to critique this idea as I have no idea if it would work!
Closed Thread