BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
pearls
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Question Reinstalling OS - 7290

Please Login to Remove!

Before anyone jumps on me, I searched this forum. I have a 7290 that is acting flakey. Occasionally it will freeze while I am replying to an email, sometimes it goes into a reboot and occasionally I get DEVICE ERROR 144 which I cannot find in the blackberry.net tech support.

Now, I am trying to reload the OS on my BBERRY but I cannot figure out how. When I start the file I download specifically for this Cingular 7290, it loads the desktop portion, but does not do anything on the handheld.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-David
Old 06-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

The desktop and OS software are 2 different packages. You install the desktop software on the PC, then you install the OS software on the PC, then you run App Loader in Desktop Manager. Assuming you're already running the same version that you just downloaded, you'll get to a screen telling you that nothing needs to be done. Click Advanced and tell it to wipe the apps and data.

Last edited by Talldog; 06-24-2005 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
pearls

ok..this is a little frustrating. The App Loader stalls when detecting my USB connection. Why isn't the USB port in the drop down for the comm ports? That way I would not have to use "Detect Communications". .... arrrggghhh
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

After you installed Desktop Manager and connected the device, did you get the usual USB messages from Windows about detecting a new device and new device ready for use? Also, with the Desktop Manager window open, connect the BB and see if the DM title bar goes to "Connected". If not, try detecting the BB from DM rather than App Loader (Options/Connection Settings).
Old 06-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
pearls

Angry ARRRGGGHHH - Now error 343

ok..so I am going on my 4th day of dealing with this little marvel.
I spent Friday on the phone with my inhouse tech support wiping and reloading the OS. Seemed to be fine. Get home and it starts to reboot halfway thru replies or if I try to pair my btooth headset (something I did successfully for the last 3 months).

After one of these reboots...and there have been many, the OS came back in full color, previously everything had been in b/w except for MMode and BrickBreaker icons.

Today I started getting Error 343 - Reset..now just try to research these codes on the Blackberry.Net forum. I found a reference actually, not to my device, but just in general that said to do a hard reset. The only hard reset that I am aware of for the 7290 is to remove the battery and the sim which I have done numerous times.

At this point, I am wondering whether or not it is time to send this brick back and just have it replaced.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-David
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
pearls

Talking Problem Solved...

Well, I called ATT/Cingular support. After only two handoffs, I got the warranty dept. The guy was very nice but difficult to understand. After repeatedly assuring him that I did not drop the unit nor did I submerse it in water, I was shipped (overnight) a refurbed 7290. Resync'd it to my desktop and I am once again flying free.

Hallelujah I have my crackberry back.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
MISDBY1

Model: 7290
Default Me Too

I Have Gotten A Number Of Different Device Errors Over The Last 3 Weeks. Cingular Was No Help, Black Berry Was No Help, And They Both Didn't Seem To Care After I Told Them The Device Was Out Of Warranty. Now It Is On Life Support, Only Booting Up Occasionally And Cannot Live In My Pocket Because My Body Heat Causes It To Crash.

Nobody Seems To Be Any Help On This Topic, Including This Forum.
Closed Thread