Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
JFV1134
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry not sync'ing address book with BES

Please Login to Remove!

Now, let me get this straight so maybe anyone out there can help me out. My BES is sending address book entries to the blackberry from Groupwise just fine. However, when I add an address book entry into the Blackberry the BES will not add it to Groupwise. My settings for PIM syncing are bidirectional and the device is set to win any conflicts. I also tried setting the synchronization type to device to server, but that didn't work either. Is there a registry entry that I could change to allow this? Please help. I am the BES admin, BTW. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
marduo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Was it working before?

Are you up to date on your BES server updates?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
JFV1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by marduo View Post
Was it working before?

Are you up to date on your BES server updates?
No and yes
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

On the PIM Sync settings on the BES Manager, does it show that is is synchronizing both ways and turned on? Why not try turning wireless address book sync from the device and then turn it back on?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
zeeshanahmad

Model: 7290
PIN: 20257725
Carrier: Mobilink
Default ABove reply is good

Try to delete then after some time undelete Desktop [sync] entry from service book.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey View Post
Why not try turning wireless address book sync from the device and then turn it back on?
I agree with amukhey. This turn off wireless reconcile in the address book, and leave it off for a few minutes. Then turn it back on, this ought to force a refresh of the Enterprise Activation process, and ought to pull everything into line.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
JFV1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
I agree with amukhey. This turn off wireless reconcile in the address book, and leave it off for a few minutes. Then turn it back on, this ought to force a refresh of the Enterprise Activation process, and ought to pull everything into line.
Just tried this and it worked. Everyones address book is up to date.

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

No problem. It's an odd fix, and not well documented.

I did the RIM BlackBerry Domino Admin Level 2 course (or whatever it's called) last year and the instructor told us the only way to solve these issues was to wipe and reactivate. I told him about the above solution, and he said it was impossible. So I disabled the reconciliation in the address book, left it a minute and re-enabled. Then jumped to the advanced settings screen and sure enough the enterprise activation process was running.
He told me that I should be a BlackBerry trainer. I thought to myself that the BlackBerry trainer should do more training himself, but said nothing.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
dmacphee

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

when you say"This turn off wireless reconcile in the address book" is it really in the address book or is it the wireless reconsile in the messages inbox?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #10
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

No, in the address book. For some reason, the one in the messaging section does not seem to trigger the same EA process.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

@ Jadey

Keep in mind that the BB trainers do not support the BB/BES like we do and will not know every trick to get things working. I know many of the trainers and a lot of them are technically inclined and know a lot of stuff. But not all of them are that way as they don't have to be. Some come from the BB/BES support teams but a good few do not and they pick things up from other trainers or they ask their contacts within RIM as they are not meant to be troubleshooting experts. They know the course material and anything outside of that they either know from a prior class/question or they might have other experience.

The fix you posted seems to be platform specific to me as that does not happen in BES for Exchange that I've ever seen and the BES course material is designed to work for all platforms in one work book.

But I do agree that the trainer should have known to at least try turning the wireless sync off and on again though, it's a basic and common troubleshooting step. I'm curious to know who the trainer is now, I would like to pick em for that, lol.

But from your posts you could be a trainer though. RIM will be giving certification exams and people can become certified BB trainers. I thought about doing it myself.

If a bunch of us did the cert we could create a trainers section on BBF, that would be hilarious.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
TrojanShawn

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
No, in the address book. For some reason, the one in the messaging section does not seem to trigger the same EA process.
Where exactly is this? I go to the options on my address book on my Blackbery 8830 and the only options I have are:

Sort By:
Confirm Delete:
Allow Duplicate Names:

I am experiencing the same problem, but its not just my contacts. It is also my tasks and memos.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Welcome to the forums, Shawn.

For your issue, I would recommend what was in Post #5. Delete and then undelete the Desktop[SYNC] service book.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
TrojanShawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post

For your issue, I would recommend what was in Post #5. Delete and then undelete the Desktop[SYNC] service book.
How long should I wait in-between delete and undelete? Should I turn the phone off and on after the deletion to reset the phone and again after the undelete??

I just waited 5 min between a delete and undelete and it didnt fix the issue. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

5 mins is more than plenty. You may want to resend your service books. Or have your BES Admin resend them.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
TrojanShawn

Quote:
5 mins is more than plenty. You may want to resend your service books. Or have your BES Admin resend them.
Bummer. That will have to wait until Monday then :(
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
TrojanShawn

Quote:

Am I supposed to close out after deleted the Desktop [SYNC]? For some reason I still received an email from my BES even though the Desktop [SYNC] was deleted?

Naturally I'm not a very tech person when it comes to BB.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

I delete and undelete right away, while still in the Service Books screen. Not sure if others leave the screen and return.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #19
TrojanShawn

Well what do you know. It worked!!! You rock!!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #20
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
@ Jadey

Keep in mind that the BB trainers do not support the BB/BES like we do and will not know every trick to get things working. I know many of the trainers and a lot of them are technically inclined and know a lot of stuff. But not all of them are that way as they don't have to be. Some come from the BB/BES support teams but a good few do not and they pick things up from other trainers or they ask their contacts within RIM as they are not meant to be troubleshooting experts. They know the course material and anything outside of that they either know from a prior class/question or they might have other experience.

The fix you posted seems to be platform specific to me as that does not happen in BES for Exchange that I've ever seen and the BES course material is designed to work for all platforms in one work book.

But I do agree that the trainer should have known to at least try turning the wireless sync off and on again though, it's a basic and common troubleshooting step. I'm curious to know who the trainer is now, I would like to pick em for that, lol.
Hiya

Totally agree with what you're saying, did not expect him to know the fix etc. He'd said the way to fix it was EA, and said wipe/activate (which IS a fix, but to me a compromised one as when you EA a wiped handheld whose PIN is registered on BES, you don't get the mail prepopulation) - so I offered the shortcut version, which doesn't require wiping. I just found it irritating when I offered it as a solution, and he told me it was "impossible" - I then had to show him it working on his own device for him to believe me.
It's an ego thing, but I was just a little annoyed at being told the fix was nonsense, in front of a Domino BES Admin class full of my peers, when actually it works (at least for Domino...)