BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
japrx7

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BES 4.1 DR Cutover - How-to Procedures

Please Login to Remove!

So we are running 1 x BES 4.1 onsite at our main office and would be looking to run 1 x BES 4.1 as a backup in our disaster continuity site.

My question is how do I go about setting that up and how to execute?

I would like to do that without the use of any third-party programs such as Neverfail and/or Double-Take.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Exchange or Domino?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Disaster recovery is simple to set up, based on where the database is. Just remember to ALWAYS backup the database no matter what. If the database is on a separate server(SQL) then use the following steps:

1. Set local BESAdmin permissions (local admin, etc.)
2. Install Exchange System Management Tools and any service packs to meet or exceed the version of Exchange Server in the environment(Exchange Environment Only)
3. Install the BES (As BESAdmin) and point it to the production database and DO NOT start the services. That will avoid the disabling of your SRP on RIM's network. Also remember to use the same BES name for both, if not you will end up with 2 different BES in the BB Manager

If the BES is using local MSDE then follow these steps:

1. Backup the production database
2. Install MSDE on the new machine
3. Move the database folder from the BES 4.1 install files to the new server and run the createdb.exe from a DOS Window to create a blank database first
4. Restore the production database over the newly created BESMgmt database
5. Install the Exchange System Management tools and appropriate service packs (Only if you're in an Exchange Environment)
6. Set the local permissions for the BESAdmin account
7. Install the BES but DO NOT start the services

Make sure to have a current backup of the production database ready in case the one on the Disaster Recovery BES is "out of date".

There should also be some documentation on RIM's BlackBerry Technical Solution Center, just search for "disaster recovery".

Any questions about moving the database can also be found on RIM's TKC as well, look for "move database".

Hope that helps.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
x14

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

If you are going to use 3rd party product you need to contact the vendor cause each one implement their solution differently. We use Neverfail.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
japrx7

Model: 7290

Sorry on Exchange 2003, full SQL.

Ok so are you saying both servers have to have the same Windows name? (Ex. LC-BES)?

Also what are the steps for Full SQL?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
gibson_hg

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

The Windows name must be different but the name in the BB Manager has to be the same on both BES, if not you will have 2 different BES after you install the DR BES. The whole point is to have a mirror copy of your BES on another machine.

With full SQL Server you would prep the new box, so:

1. Set permissions and install the Exchange System Manager and apply any necessary service packs

2. Run the BES install. During the install you will see a box with the BES name and by default it will use the Windows machine name. Change it to your production BES name.

3. After the reboot you will have the database settings screen, point to your production database and complete the install without starting services

Then your good to go. But make sure to do routine backups of the database and keep them somewhere safe, you can never be to careful.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
timlien

Model: 7190g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: optus

hi Guys, just a quick question, if I have a Produciton BES with MDS services, when I install BES on the standby server (the DR server), do I choose BES with MDS services as installation option of do I simply choose BlackBerry Enterprise Server as the Setup type?

The reason I asked is that if I choose BES with MDS services, after the first reboot and setting the database, it then asks for the BlackBerry MDS Services database settings. which is the settings for mdss and mdss_dis.

But mdss and mdss_dis has already been created since this is the 2nd server in the network therefore it comes up with the following error:

DB Upgrade failed. Error executing an SQL statement

and I would not be able to click on next unless I can get pass this point. Should I simply cancel the installation then select BlackBerry Enterprise Server as the setup type?

Your help is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlien View Post
hi Guys, just a quick question, if I have a Produciton BES with MDS services, when I install BES on the standby server (the DR server), do I choose BES with MDS services as installation option of do I simply choose BlackBerry Enterprise Server as the Setup type?

The reason I asked is that if I choose BES with MDS services, after the first reboot and setting the database, it then asks for the BlackBerry MDS Services database settings. which is the settings for mdss and mdss_dis.

But mdss and mdss_dis has already been created since this is the 2nd server in the network therefore it comes up with the following error:

DB Upgrade failed. Error executing an SQL statement

and I would not be able to click on next unless I can get pass this point. Should I simply cancel the installation then select BlackBerry Enterprise Server as the setup type?

Your help is appreciated.
timlien - Welcome to BBF!!!! ...

If you want to effectively do a mirror of your current environment, then you need to create a new MDS Services database. May I ask why you've installed MDS Services? Many (most) installations of MDS Services isn't needed ... you don't need it to provide Web access to your HH's... what are you using MDS Services for?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
timlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
timlien - Welcome to BBF!!!! ...

If you want to effectively do a mirror of your current environment, then you need to create a new MDS Services database. May I ask why you've installed MDS Services? Many (most) installations of MDS Services isn't needed ... you don't need it to provide Web access to your HH's... what are you using MDS Services for?
Thanks hdawg

Well, to make long story shot, I've been ask to take over the BES admin while I don't have too much experiences in it.

When I took over, I've noticed our current BES has been setup with MDS services, and as far as I know, the MDS is needed for Bloomberg Mobile for BlackBerry.

How to I go with create a new MDS Service database since the script fail when I try to run the installation?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
timlien

ok, I manage to get around it by select create a local database, then after all the installation is done. I change the database to the remote MS SQL on our production server.

The only issue with this is that this does not change the location of MDS database.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
kerseyr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
The Windows name must be different but the name in the BB Manager has to be the same on both BES, if not you will have 2 different BES after you install the DR BES. The whole point is to have a mirror copy of your BES on another machine.

With full SQL Server you would prep the new box, so:

1. Set permissions and install the Exchange System Manager and apply any necessary service packs

2. Run the BES install. During the install you will see a box with the BES name and by default it will use the Windows machine name. Change it to your production BES name.

3. After the reboot you will have the database settings screen, point to your production database and complete the install without starting services

Then your good to go. But make sure to do routine backups of the database and keep them somewhere safe, you can never be to careful.
If you were to purchase another BES license you could have a second BES up and running in the domain and move the users doing a sourceless move.

eg. Moving the user from one BES to the other without the original BES being present.

If you build in enough capacity into your environment this seems like a good solution to me!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
timlien

I too believe the two server with both up and running is the best solution. Otherwise the other choice is virtualized the BES server.

Getting two BES up and running at the same time means two BES license and in where I work, the managements has agreed to that the two BES up and running at the same time is the best solution but there were no budget to purchase the additional BES server this financial year. So until next financial year comes, I think a standby BES is still a good solution.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlien View Post
When I took over, I've noticed our current BES has been setup with MDS services, and as far as I know, the MDS is needed for Bloomberg Mobile for BlackBerry.
MDS Services refers to a custom application development environment. If you don't do any in house BB development, you don't need this. The base server install includes MDS Connection service, which is used as the web proxy for 3rd party wireless data apps.

Unfortunately this distinction is lost on many who go ahead and install it, and so you get all these issues with the extra MDS Services SQL database, which is totally avoidable and just a damn shame.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Ekrimmer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Our BES is medium to small (90 users). Would it be conceivable to take a ghost image of the production server and restore that to another box (change the netbios name) along with a recent copy of the db?
Closed Thread