Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
agraco

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default BES It Policy 3rd Party Apps

Please Login to Remove!

We have a very restrictive IT Policy on 3rd Party Applications. The internal process to get around it officially is managed by people who don't understand that the end user is the client and they are not interested in finding solutions.
-
How do I install 3rd party applications when the IT Policy does not allow it?
thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Simple - it's not possible. Sorry.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Paul would be right. If the IT policy restricts program installation, there is nothing you can do. Blackberry/RIM devices are very secure and that is likely why your company choose to use them. If the IT policy could be defeated with ease they would not be secure would they.

You could buy your own Blackberry . . . . .
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
You could buy your own Blackberry . . . . .
Yup. And keep it off their BES.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by agraco View Post
We have a very restrictive IT Policy on 3rd Party Applications. The internal process to get around it officially is managed by people who don't understand that the end user is the client and they are not interested in finding solutions.
-
How do I install 3rd party applications when the IT Policy does not allow it?
thanks
Can't be done.

Likely, IT does understand that the end user is the client, but there are many valid support and security issues related to 3rd party apps. Trust us, your IT group is not just being difficult for the fun of it.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Trust us, your IT group is not just being difficult for the fun of it.
Lol - it is fun though!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
agraco

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Trust us, your IT group is not just being difficult for the fun of it.

Sorry, but I believe they are difficult because of incompetence. I would hazard a guess that 99% of the work done in the whole organization is either with Word, Excel, PPT, or Outlook. That said, they still have not managed to figure out how to move us beyond Office 2000...

At a certain point, IT Managers need to come to grips with the reality that they are there to help the client be more productive. Not throw up walls at every ounce of innovative thinking...
Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
ikkoku
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820

is it possible to install the 3rd party apps before activating on the BES
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

yes it is, but that doesnt mean they will work after you install them. best course of action is to contact the IT department before you do anything.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
acoustix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Sorry, but I believe they are difficult because of incompetence. I would hazard a guess that 99% of the work done in the whole organization is either with Word, Excel, PPT, or Outlook. That said, they still have not managed to figure out how to move us beyond Office 2000...

At a certain point, IT Managers need to come to grips with the reality that they are there to help the client be more productive. Not throw up walls at every ounce of innovative thinking...
I'm sure the IT department knows how to upgrade the office suite. However it is extremely expensive to do so. Just to give you an idea of the cost - I was quoted a cost of $68,000 for 175 licenses of Office 2003 Professional about 3 years ago. And that was the best deal I could find.

I don't know how big your company is, but implementing BES is also not cheap. The IT department is mostly likely trying to protect the investment. I'm sure that they also don't like to support every application under the sun and that is why they lock down the BBs.

Nick
Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
SEP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: -

im allowing users to install apps but this is bound to cause problems, app crashing or creates conflicts with OS/Apps etc. When they complain like its my fault and that they havent done anything, i would like some monitoring software that allows me to see precisely what theyve installed.

Most IT stuff is big brother so we always know what you are doing when you're lying
Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
magis75

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

With any desktop system, the solution would be to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

Is there a similar method of doing so, recognizing that this may cut off the device from the related BES? I've recently left my company, so contacting the IT department is not an alternative...and I'm stuck with their restrictive security policy.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
How large is your company? at $400-$600 per license, can you come up with enough features that would improve productivity to justify a 12-24 months ROI?

Quote:
At a certain point, users need to come to grips that IT's primary function is to enable productivity at the lowest possible cost without compromising security.

I'm running Office 2003 and Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 and XP workstation.

Would I love to implement Office and Exchange 2007, the new Server 2008 and Vista? Well, perhaps not Vista, but I simply cannot justify enough savings to be realized by upgrading to offset the costs.

You are the one that needs to justify, quantitavely, to management that what you want to do is financialy sound. Then you need to give IT time to test for impact on the infrastructure. Remember, by being on a BES, your Berry is part of the infrastructure.
Closed Thread