BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
qposner

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Old Treo user new to BB. Have some ?'s.

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

I am coming over to my 8320 after several years with a Treo 650. I am finding I have a few questions and I cannot find the answer over searches. Please keep in mind that TMO is still porting my number over, but the email is setup and working and I can use the native browser. So, I assume all should work.

1) I have my profiles set for vibrate, ring, etc depending on if I have a call, email or SMS coming in. However, when I send a test email to myself there is no notification (I have it set to vibrate). I do not know about a call or SMS since the # is not yet ported;

2) Like many users, I cannot get Opera 4 to work. I downloaded it just fine over the native browser but when I try to use it, it gets about 3/4 of the way through install and then fails to connect to the internet. I have changed TCP to wap.voicestream.com as others have noted. Also tried internet.voicestream.com. Still nothing.

Any help on the above would be appreicated. I look forward to joing in as I learn more about my 830!

Quinn
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
ma077146
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: 3019F3E6
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome to the forums.

The profile you've adjusted to get things like you want, is it currently the active profile? If it's not, it won't matter what the settings are.

Can you access the internet with your device? If so, then likely your Berry or internet settings aren't the problem.

Like Coupons and Free Shipping?
http://thediscountdude.com
Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK

Wirelessly posted (life goes on! yes it is tough)

I have no problem with opera

Welcome to BBF
Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
qposner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
Welcome to the forums.

The profile you've adjusted to get things like you want, is it currently the active profile? If it's not, it won't matter what the settings are.

Can you access the internet with your device? If so, then likely your Berry or internet settings aren't the problem.
Ahh, ACTIVE profile. Looks like that did it. Learning something new all the time!

As for Opera, I can access using the TMO browser. However, Opera will not connect. I have read that a lot of TMO users are having this same problem and that you need to change the TCP setting. I have done that without success. Any other settings I should check?

Thanks for the help from both of you guys (or gals)!

Quinn

Last edited by qposner; 04-24-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
p nut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

It's very easy to do. Log onto your tmobile page, then to your BIS page. There, you can set up a filter for your accounts.

I had the same problem with Opera, but after setting the TCP, it went through just fine and it has worked flawlessly since then. Hope you get that figured out.

I'm also trying to get my friend, who's been a Treo user for many years, to switch to BB. Curious why you switched?

Also, regarding your issue #1--go into your profiles. Then, go all the way down to "advanced". From there, it will show you the different settings for each profile. You have to go in (say, "Vibrate" for instance) and set up what you would like the phone to do for each notification. For emails, you can have it set to "Vibrate" or "Tone" or "None". I found that some were set to "None", thus I got no audible notifications.

Last edited by p nut; 04-24-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

As for your operamini installation issues, follow these links first either http://www.operamini.com/help/connect/?region=USA or What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ

Once you're done, do a battery-pull > take out your battery while the device is still on and put it back in after 30s. Then redownload operamini OTA.

That should do it.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

It has five pre-set profile, you can add additional profile or go to advance and edit the pre-set profile to different ringtone, vibrate, led light, volume.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
qposner

Thanks for all of te input. I figured out the profile and i is working well.

As for Opera, TMO says it can take up to 48 hours for my data plan to be 100% up and running and that portions of it are implemented piecemeal. The CSR stated it is not unusual for email to work over wifi, but not EDGE(which is what is happening) while only the native browser will run but other items needing EDGE will not (such as Opera). Sounds strange. I would think if the native browser will run over EDGE, everything should run over EDGE.

AS for why I am making the switch, it is simple. I am SICK and tired of the Treo crashing. That and I have a friend at RIM who got me a free 8320 for TMO!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
qposner

Now it is working, but it appears to be working over wifi! I didn't think Opera worked over wifi?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
p nut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Mine's been working over WiFi since day one.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
qposner

2 quick question as to filters:

I have set up my BIS filter so it will not keep sending delivery confirmations to my handset. However, the confirmation still shows up in my GMail inbox. How can I keep this from happening?

Also, I still have a copy of all emails I send on my handset. It used to leave two copies (one with a blue check and one with a manila envelope). Once I set up the filter, the blue check copy no longer arrives. However, the handset is keeping a copy of all emails that I send from my GMail inbox (not handset) with a yellow envelope. How can I keep this from happening too?

Thanks!
Closed Thread