BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Skeeter007

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default Alltel New 8330 Curve Registration Requirement??

Please Login to Remove!

I have been waiting, like many others, for the CMDA Curve to hit the stores for months, and it did today! I was really looking forward to purchasing one at Alltel. They had them available...however, here's my story...

I am in my office everyday, my computer is on all day long, and I am very happy with being able to hot-sync my Palm device. I also am a long-time customer of Alltel, and I prefer not to give up my 'now really cheap' monthy cell rate. But, I really want to carry only one device, and I really want it to be the new Curve.

So, I want to use the new Curve to hold all my contacts, calendar, etc. via hot-sync, and continue to enjoy the 'now really cheap' monthy rate by not adding a data subscription...hey, I sync it everyday anyhow! I walk into the Alltel store ready to pay full price in cash with no discounts, and transfer my Alltel number, and they tell me the Curve phone will not work without a registration code that they cannot provide unless I subscribe to the Alltel data plan.

Can you help me? Is a work-around option available? Do I buy an unlocked phone? Or, is the Alltel staff at my local store incorrect?

Please help!! THANK YOU!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBForums!

Yes, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan for the service.

It does cost more, you are paying for the reliable, dependable and secure BlackBerry network and Push email. It is worth it. An unlocked BB from another carrier will still need a Data Plan.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Maybe I'm saying same thing as JS, but I understand some providers will not activate a blackberry without the customer buying the data plan. Some do, but apparently yours does not. Maybe I'm just repeating.

But you will appreciate the data service if the cost isn't a deal breaker for you.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-01-2008 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Skeeter007

aiharkness:
Thank you. Just to reaffirm...I am only looking for hotsync capability, not data service, plus continuing to use my current voice plan. Do you know who offers blackberry activation without buying a data plan?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8330)

That's correct the Alltel BlackBerry's can't be actived without a data plan.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter007 View Post
aiharkness:
Thank you. Just to reaffirm...I am only looking for hotsync capability, not data service, plus continuing to use my current voice plan. Do you know who offers blackberry activation without buying a data plan?
No carrier that I am aware of.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Skeeter007

Thanks...I was told otherwise a few months ago, so I was searching for a means of making it happen. It was actually an AT&T sales rep who told me, but, AT&T service is poor in a couple of key areas...like my office!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If our local tmobile store is the general rule, you can buy a blackberry from them without activating a data plan. But I don't know why not, because it's < $20/mo added on to voice plan for unlimited data.

I don't know what hot-sync means in the sense of a blackberry. You will be able to use Desktop Manager with a PC to sync you PIM data with Outlook or something similar (you will have a number of options). But the blackberry does not sync email.

You will need a blackberry data plan to get email pushed to the blackberry. It does not download email in the conventional sense, and there is no client to do so, as far as I know. You may be able to access internet email with a third-party browser (opera mini) if you purchase a generic cell phone data plan and not the blackberry-specific data plan.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Skeeter007

aiharkness:

Thank you!

I use Outlook for email, contacts, calendar, notes, etc. And, because I am at my desk everyday, I wanted to be able to grandfather my cheap cell rate that I enjoy now, and use the Curve in place of my Palm device, which I hotsync. It is my understanding that Blackberry Curve has the same hotsync capabilities, and I very much like the Curve, so I want to skinny-down to one device for cell and "Palm" uses.

When I do the math over the course of a new 2-year contract with Alltel, it will cost me approximately $850 to have the instant data access from a data plan, over my current voice plan.

I wanted to save this money, even if I had to pay additional for the Curve...generally, I keep a device for a LONG time, and it pays to plan carefully to avoid the ever-increasing technology rates.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Sounds like you should look at a Windows Mobile device if you want to stay with Alltel. You ARE NOT required to have a data plan with one of those phones as long as you do not purchase the phone with discounts (basically you have to buy the phone retail).
Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Skeeter007

Thank you...good advice. Although, I am dissappointed that I will not be able to utilize the Curve for my situation.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
No carrier that I am aware of.
Definitely TMO and at&t, if not others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter007 View Post
Thank you...good advice. Although, I am dissappointed that I will not be able to utilize the Curve for my situation.
Let your carrier know. They do these things because their customers let them do so and continue to give them their money.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Skeeter007

takeshi:

I just called Alltel, and the representative explained the same as did the retail guy...they are required by Blackberry to sell a data plan in order to use the phone features. Can I purchase a Curve 8330, unlock it, and assign my Alltel telephone number to it?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Skeeter, the Alltel guy lied or doesn't know and is guessing. It isn't RIM. It's the carrier.

I think takeshi's point was you should complain.

You will find, I believe, that Alltel will only activate a phone that they sell. Not a phone sold by another carrier.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Its highly recommended by RIM to activate a BlackBerry data plan with the device activation. I wish ALL carriers required it. Getting the phone for looks cheapens the device. If you want a BlackBerry, get a BlackBerry and have it work as intended. Many carriers require the BB plan, Verizon being the largest.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Required vs recommeded -- not the same thing.

Data plan required in order to use the phone features -- Thay is not a clear, unambiguous statement. Obviously, data plan is required for blackberry data services. But for the "phone"?

I recommend the data plan, too. I just want to give people information the best I can.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-02-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

it is required for many functions. but you are correct the carriers can phrase that any way they want. This way though, the consumer gets a clear understanding that the phone will not work as intended without a data plan
Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
michaelcannella
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T 8310. SPRINT 8130

this posts are annoying me...skeeter if you want a blackberry get the plan or else theres no point of you getting one
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

No reason to be annoyed. People do use blackberrys without data plans to meet their needs. If Skeeter needs something else, fine. But there should be no compalint with a forum member asking questions in order to better understand.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

No reason to be annoyed. People do use blackberrys without data plans to meet their needs. If Skeeter needs something else, fine. But there should be no compalint with a forum member asking questions in order to better understand.
Agreed, and at least he is doing research and not just running out and buying a device just to realize it doesn't suit his needs.
Closed Thread