BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
scripkilla

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New BB user - OWA support phasing out? Rumor?

Please Login to Remove!

I just purchased a Curve and saw something about Outlook 2007 OWA not being supported if using the BIS. I work for an organization that only supports win mobile and it's horrible. I only bought a VX6700 due to them telling me under no conditions could a BB work. I think we are still on 2003, which supposedly does still work. However, the day will come when we'll upgrade which is my concern. I'd be interested in any help on the situation as I have very limited options and I'm running out of them!

Thanks,
Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

My two OWAs use 2003.I agree it is a concern if it became available.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

I'm not surprised that M$ leveraged Exchange 07 to work well only with Win Mobile devices. They have a long history of this with most of their products.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

BIS supports OWA for 2007.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
BIS supports OWA for 2007.
Thank you. I was not aware. So it functions the same way as 2003? I am frustrated that I cant open Office 2007 but that is another topic for another thread.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I am frustrated that I cant open Office 2007
I have been happily using Office 2003 for a VERY long time. One of my clients announced that they would be switching to Office 2007 and the new .docx format and that anyone that still wanted to do business with them would have to do the same.

They upgraded 300+ users, I bought 1 copy of Office 2007 (I do like Outlook 2007. Except for the ribbon it is very much like Outlook 2003) and in under a week they sent out another announcement that they would switch all documents back to .doc format.

I don't know about you, but .doc (and the other Office formats) aren't broken and I see no reason to switch "just because". Even with the Office 2007 converters that are available the new "x" format is a solution in search of a problem.

Stick to the non-x file formats. You will save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

docx was M$ answer to the proliferation of Linux and Open Office. In typical M$ fashion, instead of trying to complete on a level playing field, M$ used it power and market lock in, to make documents created in Office 07 to be unusable to Linux and Open Office users.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
I have been happily using Office 2003 for a VERY long time. One of my clients announced that they would be switching to Office 2007 and the new .docx format and that anyone that still wanted to do business with them would have to do the same.

They upgraded 300+ users, I bought 1 copy of Office 2007 (I do like Outlook 2007. Except for the ribbon it is very much like Outlook 2003) and in under a week they sent out another announcement that they would switch all documents back to .doc format.

I don't know about you, but .doc (and the other Office formats) aren't broken and I see no reason to switch "just because". Even with the Office 2007 converters that are available the new "x" format is a solution in search of a problem.

Stick to the non-x file formats. You will save yourself a lot of headaches.
I agree with you. Problem is I work in an environment where not everyone has a bb or is even cognizant to this issue.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 05-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
fizzleation
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
docx was M$ answer to the proliferation of Linux and Open Office. In typical M$ fashion, instead of trying to complete on a level playing field, M$ used it power and market lock in, to make documents created in Office 07 to be unusable to Linux and Open Office users.
Actually, Microsoft just released the source information to their office files extensions (given it was to impress the EU into not suing them too harshly). Now it is simply an issue of the other products implementing Microsoft's product into their own.

And dual sub, you know there is a "compatibility patch" that allows people with 2003 to open and edit docx format in 2003 right?
The docx format also supports Microsoft XML which is going to become increasingly important. The new format also creates a smaller file. So when you are dealing with giant documents, you can get a file that is up to 75% smaller. The docx format is a superior format any way you look at it.
Remember, being well informed is a prerequisite for critical analysis.

Last edited by fizzleation; 05-25-2008 at 05:32 PM..
Old 05-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzleation View Post
The docx format is a superior format any way you look at it.
How does koolaid taste?
Old 05-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #11
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
How does koolaid taste?
Not sure, you tell us... How DOES iKoolaid taste?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Not sure, you tell us... How DOES iKoolaid taste?
Would know either. I'm not married to Apple products. I use both a Mac and a PC running Ubuntu at home, Windows XP at work, I had BBs, Palm OS and phones running Win Mobile and now an iphone. So no, I don't worship at the temple of Steve Jobs.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I would not be bothered a bit if OWA was no longer supported. I need OWA to support some offsite access, but it's still a far cry from haveing corporate mail on a device I don't control. I'm sorry, but if you feel you have the need for a BB, get a company one.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzleation View Post
And dual sub, you know there is a "compatibility patch" that allows people with 2003 to open and edit docx format in 2003 right?
Apparently I do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Even with the Office 2007 converters that are available the new "x" format is a solution in search of a problem.
I used them in Office 2003 before I bought an upgrade but there were issues with certain Excel files that I couldn't overcome, so I bought 1 upgrade to Office 2007.

I happen to be very well informed of the size advantages of the "x" formats as well as MS-XML thank you very much, I just don't care. I happen to be one of the overwhelmingly vast majority that doesn't give a freshly shaved rat's rear end about the size of my office files because of my own needs.

Your further claim that MS-XML would become increasingly important; to whom? You? Great! If you need it and want it I am happy that you have it. Me? Do I care? Not so much.

For me, in my well informed opinion, Office 2007 is an absolute waste of money for those like me; a small business owner and photographer. It offers me nothing that I need that isn't already available to me in Office 2003.

Clear enough for you?
Old 05-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

@dualsub and Argon, just because a company decides to want to improve a product doesn't mean they are trying to kill the competition. As fizzle mentioned, the OpenXML-based formats were designed as open-source and it was left up to vendors to support the new formats, just as they did with the previous (closed-source and dated) formats released years ago. Heck, if anything, it will be easier for proper implementation this time around. Novell has had support for the OpenXML format for over a year. If anything, Sun has sat on their butts and neglected to add the support of these formats until they release v3 in a few months.

...yet people still complain that Microsoft is a big meanie in the industry.

As for OWA 2007 support, at one time it may not have been supported. RIM is generally VERY late and non-involved in beta testing and certification of Microsoft products, so we generally get support months after the new products are launched by Microsoft. This includes BES support of Exchange 2007, BDM support of Vista, and BIS support of OWA 2007. Once again, blame the third-party vendor for not being an early adopter (RIM actually is with MSFT products) and not pushing development to add support BEFORE the products are released to market (they are feature-complete MONTHS before they are marked RTM).

One misconception is the smaller file sizes found with OpenXML, though. This is not always the case, as I have seen many times that a file created from scratch in XLSX format is sometimes 3-4x larger than with traditional XLS format.

Last edited by jibi; 05-26-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
dualsub2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
@dualsub and Argon, just because a company decides to want to improve a product doesn't mean they are trying to kill the competition.
I said nothing of Microsoft wanting to kill competition. I merely stated that to me, a happy user of Office 2003.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
@dualsub and Argon, just because a company decides to want to improve a product doesn't mean they are trying to kill the competition... Novell has had support for the OpenXML format for over a year...yet people still complain that Microsoft is a big meanie in the industry.
With all due respect, are you kidding? For someone who has been following the exploits of MS over the years, I can tell you that everything they do, is to lock users into the Windows/Office architecture. They beat the competition, not by competing on a level playing field, but instead by changing the rules. And its not just with office. They have done it with Internet Explorer, Windows media player, .net, active x, I could go on. I should also add that the only reason Novell is using Open XML is because they have been in bed with M$ ever since Ballmer threatened all Linux distro providers with lawsuits on supposed M$ patents that he refused to name. Xandros and a few other jumped in as well. Check out this site if you want a better descriptions of Bill and Steve's exploits over the years.

Dirty Tricks history - Grokdoc

Sorry to go so far off topic, but M$ and their scummy business practices really ticks me off.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

So they adopt an open-sourced format named OpenXML in the attempts to pull the sheet over competition's eyes and phase them out? Run out of tin foil hats yet?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #19
dualsub2006

Quote:
So they adopt an open-sourced format named OpenXML in the attempts to pull the sheet over competition's eyes and phase them out? Run out of tin foil hats yet?
OOXML is NOT open sourced. At least not by any standard that the open source community would be willing to agree with and accept. It is only as open as MS has allowed it to be. I know that they call it open source, but until it is released fully into the wild under an open license like GPL, MIT or even the Mozilla license it is nothing more than lip service in the fight against ODF.

I don't need a tin foil hat to see that MS is further trying to lock people in to their file formats to ensure themselves of Office sales with this new "open" file format. OOXML will never be open source. They can call it what they want to call it, but a pig is still a pig.
Closed Thread