Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
mrfizzed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default gmail, imap or pop???

Please Login to Remove!

ive always used gmail on my bb and love it. so i log into my gmail accont today on pc and theres this whol blog entry thing Official Gmail Blog: Getting Gmail anywhere: IMAP versus POP
that basically convinces me to change my gmail accounts to imap. so i do, now my email is slow. anyone else using imap on gmail and if so why? i suppose the whole two way sync is nice but is it worth it if its slow? anyone wanna chime in?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

In my opinion, there's no advantage to using one over the other. They basically provide the same functionality when integrated with BIS.

You get two-way wireless reconciliation with POP as well as IMAP.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
mrfizzed
Thumbs Must Hurt

what about the fact that with gmail imap if i read an email on my bb then it will show as read when i log in on pc. if i use pop and delete on bb it gets deleted on pc as well, BUT if i read an email on bb it doesnt show as read on pc when i log in.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Read/Unread marks do not reconcile with GMail on POP or IMAP.
It's simply not supported.

Deletes will reconcile wirelessly (two-way) on POP or IMAP.
Read marks will not wirelessly reconcile at all.

EDIT:
See this matrix for BIS wireless reconciliation features.
BlackBerry Search Results

Last edited by penguin3107; 05-28-2008 at 08:58 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
In my opinion, there's no advantage to using one over the other.
POP will push your Gmail to your phone nearly instantly. Using IMAP mail is checked every 15 minutes or so. When I used IMAP read status did update in Gmail though it was very slow to do so.

I would use POP if I were you for the push email. I have read in a number of places that RIM is working Gmail sync.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
casmer

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Read/Unread marks do not reconcile with GMail on POP or IMAP.
It's simply not supported.

Deletes will reconcile wirelessly (two-way) on POP or IMAP.
Read marks will not wirelessly reconcile at all.

EDIT:
See this matrix for BIS wireless reconciliation features.
BlackBerry Search Results
The read/unread is supported in IMAP. It may not show it in the matrix, but my own testing today shows that it works. I too am trying to make the decision between POP, IMAP, and Gmail App and have played with all combinations as of late.

I think the POP wins for speed of delivery. The App wins for threaded, true to gmail, feel. And IMAP wins in the fact that it does do the read flag nearly instantly.

An issue I had with POP and IMAP is that a delete really just takes the "inbox" label off of the email and it is still in "All Mail". I kind of want the delete to truly trash the email. A delete in the App does a true delete.

None of them support adding a label which is what I really want. That would be great. So right now I am using the App and have deleted the POP and IMAP versions, but I am not sold on this app. I think the message inbox is faster and easier to deal with. But the App does allow for overall searching, a real delete, and archiving (only really useful if the thread already has a label on it).
Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post
But the App does allow for overall searching, a real delete, and archiving (only really useful if the thread already has a label on it).
I keep both the Gmail App (for my Gmail account and my hosted Gmail account) as well as the push accounts in BIS. BIS for speed and the Gmail apps for threading, links and search. I like that I can view all messages in threads, search through all mail right on the BB and with the apps I don't get a mile long string for a link to a document.

Neither way is perfect, but either way beats my Treo that I used.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
tbhuang2

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Casmer is right, Penguin is wrong.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for coming in and clearing that up.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Berrymedic20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A

Have people been getting two-way deletion reconciles using POP? I don't think that was happening for me, but that would make a world of difference.

I have been using the POP form for Gmail for the last week or so since I got my phone. It gives me instant delivery, and I can delete messages from the blackberry, which copies on the server.

Simultaneously, I've been running my OTHER gmail account using IMAP. Messages come in after 15 minutes, as other people have said, and this is kind of annoying (this account, however, is mostly for junk mail which is why i used it to test IMAP). However, message read status is updated instantly, and deletions on the server eventually do push through to the Blackberry.

For that last reason, I've now switched my primary account over to IMAP to give that a test. I expect the 15 minute delays to be annoying, but at least I won't have to delete messages on the blackberry after I've already deleted them online, and messages online will show as read.

C'mon RIM & Gmail, get on this!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Yes. I get two way reconciling of deletes. Its instant when I delete on the BB. When I delete on the server it takes an hour or two to delete on my BB.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
serrano_yejo

Model: 9000

Remember that using IMAP with RIM's BIS operates the same for Gmail as any other IMAP account. 15 minute polling, and no instant push. The BIS has special coding to recognize gmail and google hosted domains when setting up an account. It places a special record in their notification server to provide instant push email. If you bypass this by providing gmail IMAP settings, its just another IMAP account. If/when RIM supports IMAP-IDLE (again - and the IMAP server supports it) then instant email will function for all IMAP accoun
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
terptime
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

I have my GMail account set up as IMAP, and the fact that I do not get an email instantly like with POP doesn't bother me. In fact in most instances using IMAP I still get an email within 2-3 minutes, and many times almost instantly. The problem I do have with IMAP is the PC to BB sync. Numerous times I have deleted an email on my PC, only to not see it sync with my BB. Why is the PC to BB sync so much slower than the other way around? I have never seen an email sync from PC to BB, probably because I am too impatient to wait and see if it actually does it. This is the only major problem I see with the IMAP set-up, as all other features are pretty reliable.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
Remember that using IMAP with RIM's BIS operates the same for Gmail as any other IMAP account. 15 minute polling, and no instant push. The BIS has special coding to recognize gmail and google hosted domains when setting up an account. It places a special record in their notification server to provide instant push email. If you bypass this by providing gmail IMAP settings, its just another IMAP account. If/when RIM supports IMAP-IDLE (again - and the IMAP server supports it) then instant email will function for all IMAP accoun
Not true. I have my companies email set up through IMAP and the delivery is instantaneous, every time. This is a Google problem, not RIM's BIS.
Closed Thread