Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
LUNARAY
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Can't enable Bluetooth (8310)

Please Login to Remove!

In BB Desktop Manager/Options/Connection Settings, the Bluetooth settings area is ghosted out so that I can't enable Bluetooth, what's wrong?

I read somewhere that AT&T has locked all of the Bluetooth capabilities of the 8310 except for the use of a Bluetooth headset, is this true?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

No, that is not true. Have you already paired your 8310 with your PC? It needs to be prior to attempting a blue tooth connection in DM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

hahaha, no it is not true. You really heard that?

Is your BB a corporate BES device, could they have blocked it?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
wunderbar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

I believe he's talking about that he cannot enable bluetooth support on the desktop manager, not on the device itself.

There is a problem when you are using 3rd party bluetooth drivers for the bluetooth module on the computer.

Look here: Blackberry search results
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
LUNARAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
No, that is not true. Have you already paired your 8310 with your PC? It needs to be prior to attempting a blue tooth connection in DM.
Yes, I paired my 8310 with my PC and they were connected, at least it said that I was connected and the LED was flashing blue to indicate that I was. I'm using a Motorola USB BT adapter and I installed the software that it came with, but in Windows XP Help, it tells me to remove any 3rd party software and use the BT icon in Control Panel to configure Bluetooth. So I uninstalled the Motorola software and there is no BT icon in Control Panel, like it was before I installed the Motorola software.

I'll reinstall the software and try it again, but I still don't understand why the Bluetooth settings are ghosted out in Desktop Manager?

It also says that I can't transfer media files using a BT connection, I have to use a USB cable. The only thing it seems to allow is to update your address book, but I couldn't get that to work either. Very frustrating!!

Oh one more thing, I'm not on a BES, I don't even work, I'm retired, this is just for fun! But it ain't fun right now!

Last edited by LUNARAY; 06-10-2008 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
I believe he's talking about that he cannot enable bluetooth support on the desktop manager, not on the device itself.

There is a problem when you are using 3rd party bluetooth drivers for the bluetooth module on the computer.

Ya.... I got that much. It still needs to be paired with the operating system on the PC before trying to pair it with the DM. And as was previously stated, this can be locked out on the BES if the administrator does not want that capability.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
LUNARAY

Quote:

Yeah, that's where I found it telling me to use the Windows XP SP 2 Bluetooth drivers instead of the 3rd party stuff, but my Windows Control Panel doesn't have anything Bluetooth-related in it and I do have SP 2 installed.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
wunderbar

But as I said, there are a lot of 3rd party bluetooth drivers that simply will not work. he is saying that the option in the DM is grayed out. that means that the bluetooth stack on the computer is not supported, and he can't pair it with the computer.

That has nothing at all to do with the bluetooth on the device. You have to install bluetooth drivers on the PC that are compatable with the Blackberry before you can pair it properly.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 06-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
wunderbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNARAY View Post
Yeah, that's where I found it telling me to use the Windows XP SP 2 Bluetooth drivers instead of the 3rd party stuff, but my Windows Control Panel doesn't have anything Bluetooth-related in it and I do have SP 2 installed.
you have to un-install the old drivers first. There is another BlackBerry KB article, just have to search for it.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
LUNARAY

Quote:
That has nothing at all to do with the bluetooth on the device. You have to install bluetooth drivers on the PC that are compatable with the Blackberry before you can pair it properly.
So how do I do this, where do I get the drivers that are both compatable with my Blackberry and the Motorola USB BT adapter that I'm using? From what I read at Blackberry's support site, I should already have what is necessary with Windows XP SP2, but I don't.

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
Lunga Bunga

Default Bluetooth activation

LUNARAY ~
Go to Settings. Options.. then Highlight Bluetooth . I have 3 different blue tooths on my BB 8310 Curve with no problems at all. 2 Jabra Bluetooths and 1 Plantronics. Be sure your phone is on and the Bluetooth is in Paring Mode. Your phone will find the Bluetooh and ask you if you want to enable this device. click yes and the Bluetooth name will appear on your phone screen.
Tony.

Last edited by Lunga Bunga; 07-05-2008 at 10:17 AM..
Closed Thread