Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Swaptions

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Employer accessing personal folders

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible for your employer to view your messages from your personal email folders.

Last edited by Swaptions; 07-04-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Old 07-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Not sure what exactly you are asking? Does it relate to BB or Outlook. In either case if they own the BB and you are on BES, they answer is yes. If you are talking about personal folders in Outlook the answer is also yes. If you don't want your employer reading it then don't send or receive that content on their systems.

Does that help?

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Swaptions

I was referring to the Blackerry..My personal email folders along with my employers email are on my blackberry, so the question is can my employer also view my personal emails from lets say my GMAIL account thats also on the Blackberry?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaptions
I was referring to the Blackerry..My personal email folders along with my employers email are on my blackberry, so the question is can my employer also view my personal emails from lets say my GMAIL account thats also on the Blackberry?
If they need to there is probably a way. If it is the employers device they tend to frown on non business related activity.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

Your BES can log anything you do on your BlackBerry. They may not be able to read the email, but they can log your sent and received.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaptions View Post
Is it possible for your employer to view your messages from your personal email folders.
Sure, if you leave you BB in the office restroom and your employer comes in and wonders what you got going on, etc. Otherwise, most office email systems store every email that comes through and if the employer needs to know, they call their favorite IT guy, asap.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Another reason to keep your personal stuff on your own personal phone. I do not combine -- I don't give my work email to my friends and don't receive my personal email on my work BB. It's not worth the potential problems because some of the email I get from my friends could at times be considered not PC. Not worth jeopardizing my job for.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
cellman08
Knows Where the Search Button Is

As long as the Blackberry is on the company network, the company owns your device. You have to adhere to whatever IT policy is in place. My rule of thumb is this, don't email anything that you wouldn't want posted on the company bulletin board. This is why I have two BBs, one for personal use and one for company use.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
joeygator

Model: 8330

I have a personal blackberry and the company does have a BES I am permitted to connect to. For all the personal reasons mentioned above, I have forwarded my corp email to a personal address so I will get emails real time. A little extra work, but I don't want my personal information accessible to the company!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

what are you emailing that is so private????

JK LOL

oh and i think it would be invasion of privacy without a valid reason, not just being a busy body.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

When it comes to the employers devices and network, there is no such thing as invasion of privacy.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
When it comes to the employers devices and network, there is no such thing as invasion of privacy.
Or it could be said this way... there is no privacy.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
finnk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
Yeah legally they can view whatever they want. Certain countries even require "retention" for emails etc sent through a company network. Other companies keep it for civil liability/litigation purposes.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
Swaptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygator View Post
I have a personal blackberry and the company does have a BES I am permitted to connect to. For all the personal reasons mentioned above, I have forwarded my corp email to a personal address so I will get emails real time. A little extra work, but I don't want my personal information accessible to the company!
My situation is similiar as I own the Blackberry and have permission to log into their network, however it appears that the general concensous is that it may be possible for them to access my personal emails?

But, I thought that emails received via the BES and emails received from my ISP are two seperate entities? This is my understanding of how things work:

My ISP sends my personal emails directly to the Blackberry
My work emails go directly to the Blackberry via the BES

So my question remains can your employer view the personal emails as a result of them being placed in the same folder as the work related emails, or are the emails received from my ISP being routed through my works server before they get to my Blackberry?

I was also told that in the event of termination of employment, all your personal data and contacts will be deleted in the process of your employer removing you from their network?

Whenever I update info on the Blackberry it also gets updated on my work Outlook folder and vice versa so I can see the possibilities here. So is there a way to prevent this from happenning? Maybe turning off the syncronizing feature?

Its not really an issue as I'm not a heavy email user, but am very curious to know how this really works.

Last edited by Swaptions; 07-07-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
wunderbar

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

if you connect to thier network, every single bit of data that runs through the blackberry runs through the work network, and is logged. They might not be able to read the actual contents of e-mail if it's your personal account, but often they can at least see email addresses you are sending to/receiving from.

that is one of the biggest points of BES. And which is why it's the only smart phone used by governments.

This is why it's important to keep home and work separated, especially in this regard.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #16
joeygator

Model: 8330

That is why I have mine hosted privately. Costs more. But I can feel safe that it is not all passing through the corp servers. I have my corp email forwarded, which some comapnies may not allow, so I can see email in real time in case something urgent comes through.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaptions View Post
Whenever I update info on the Blackberry it also gets updated on my work Outlook folder and vice versa so I can see the possibilities here. So is there a way to prevent this from happenning? Maybe turning off the syncronizing feature?
If you're actually asking how to keep them from viewing anything personal on your BB the only answer is to take it entirely off the BES.
Closed Thread