BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
pos_user

Model: v
Default New User here - wondering about personal use.

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys...new user here...and just gaining interest into the PDA/Blackberry world for more convenience.

I was wondering how many BB users out there have them for personal use and not work? I work in IT field, but I wouldnt need the BB for anything work related. It would basically be for contacts, tasks, personal mail, aim, and phone.

the 7250 looked awesome and 299.99 isnt a bad pricetag either.

so if you have your BB for personal use, do you like it? do you find yourself not using many features?

Also, how about software? Are there just as many software titles to install and download as PALM OS? I know the BB is limited in MB storage, but how do you guys deal/cope/accept that.

Thanks guys. great forum.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
kg4peq
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

I got my first Blackberry last week and am hooked. My communication needs over the years have changed such that I have an increased dependence on data connectivity when away from home. Sure, a lot of that dependence is psychological, but that's for another story...

Anyhow, after evaluating a number of different devices, the Blackberry struck me as being the best fit. I liked the feature set of Cingular's Ogo, but the device itself was obviously marketed for a different audience and the lack of voice capability in the current model would force me to continue carrying two devices. My Sprint PCS phone offered great data access at a reasonable price, but even with the efficiency of predictive input and the speed of the 1xRTT data network, working with text messaging and e-mails from the phone proved tedious-- though it was how I've done things for the last few years. I also contemplated a smartphone, either a Treo or a Windows-based device. While price-wise they were comparable, they are intended as a more general-purpose device, while the Blackberry is focused on the biggest thing I needed: the instant gratification of immediate message delivery.

I am using the Blackberry 7250 on Sprint PCS. As a manager of a Sprint PCS retail location I was able to work the system a little bit and get my hands on this hard-to-procure device, and it has been worth every bit of the trouble I went through to get it.

My Blackberry was meant to be a predominantly personal device, but it has worked its way into my business functions already. My @sprintpcs.com e-mail address I've always provided to my customers now automatically forwards copies of incoming messages to my Blackberry, so I can get back to them even faster (and I have auto-BCC configured so I have an archive of whatever I send them). I am keeping track of customer contact information in my BB and setting reminders to call them back to follow-up on purchases and other interactions. And I'm now slighly less forgetful at work, too.

Blackberries definitely have a place in the personal market. Unfortunately, I know of several providers that are reluctant to sell them to individual consumers (Sprint PCS is rumored to be planning a retail launch, possibly including consumers, in September). If you do decide to pursue one, the 7250 seems to be a great unit. Do some research though, as every Blackberry has slightly different capabilities... and even the same model may work differently across different providers--- research the limitations on Alltel's 7250, for example.

The montly data cost can be hard for some people to swallow, but that's for you to decide. For me, Sprint's $45 all-you-can-eat Blackberry plan is a bill I don't mind paying.

So go get one. You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
wanchiaman

Model: 5820

Hi There

Like you I was unsure whether a BB would be useful or not. I already had a good phone (G3 with email capability) and a Sony PDA. Both had their limitations however. The PDA battery was on the way out and a new battery would cost half as much as a new PDA. And the inpuit/screen on the phone meant email was toublesome.

I run my own business and wanted to have email access "on the road". The BB means I am not tied to a desk. I am not a business customer though - just a personal one.

I use the PDA apps - especially the calendar for appointments. I use pocketmac for blackberry to sync with my OSX machines. I miss the stylus input but the very useable trackwheel on the BB makes up for it.

I dont use the phone function as my G3 phone plan is very cheap - 4000 minutes for about US$25. I think the BB is a bit big to use as a phone and I would have to be very careful when I am sitting round the pool (thats one of the perks of being the boss!).

My BB experience has been a good one. I pay US$10 a month for the email and got a free PDA (the BB was totally free). Can't be bad!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

For me, as a student, having a BB is great. I also work but the Blackberry doesn't really tie in. So, in between classes I cna check my email. I can put my schedule in along with tasks and homework assignments. But it is also my phone and my room mates and I don't have a land line so my BB 7100t is a vital communication device for me. That said, I travel a bit and don't always want to take my laptop with me just to get my email so I have a device that will give me that connectivity I need.

A friend of mine has a Treo 650 and it works well for him too. He and I have used Palm OS for years but I found that, since I still in fact use a PDA too, that I didn't really need the Treo; didn't want to deal with a stylus and all. The 7100t's (or any BB for that matter) is much better than that of Palm OS at the moment. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I actually have a company-allocated 7290 and a personal 7290. I definitely use the personal 7290 a LOT. Mostly for email, but I use all of the PIM features as well. Blackberries clearly have nowhere near as massive a software library as Palm, but there are more and more Balckberry apps coming out all the time. Storage isn't really an issue on the newer Blackberries. That might change as more applications become available though.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I use my 7520 as much for personal use as I do business. I origionally bought it as a new gadget and then soon realized I can free myself from a job site trailer and be more productive. I use the pin feature to communicate with my staff in the field and email to communicate with my suppilers and contractors. The direct connect feature ofthe 7520 is the best tool it combines my phone and instant conection between me and the work force I drive.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (your electric?: BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

Well me being a previous sk2 user a friend of mine had a bb 7520 his mom gave him to do what he wish with. Well needless to say he didn't want it and wanted my sk2, so I swapped with him (had sk2 and i95cl). I love it for personal use so very much, I am an indirect dealer for Nextel and other companies, so I have a vast array of Nextels but every weekend I still us my bb. Email is great, I have work email that is forward but not that important and do a lot of email with friends. I have found that I rarely make a phone call but rather email between friends more and more. So I suggest you get a bb, but do a good deal of research on each device as described above. Good Luck.

pink
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Scarlett
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

I have had the 7290 with Cingular since March and it is everything I could possibly want. I get my email, have the phone, surf the web and even play a few games. I use notepad to keep important notes that I need with me all the time and with the calendar and address book that I sync with my pc I don't miss the Visor I had at all. Wouldn't go back to a PDA ever!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: The New AT&T

Hey,

My blackberry is used for both business and personal use. I use the email for mostly business purposes, as time sensative communication is important in my field, however, applications like verichat, blackberry messanger, ramble and more are perfect avenues of communication while staying in touch with your friends. Blackberry messanger actually can be used as much for business use, as I know many people with blackberries. Bottom line is, you will find many reasons and ways to use the blackberry for business and personal use. They can communicate in so many ways, which easily enables you to stay in touch with ANYONE you know, both through business and personal interactions.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 08-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

I too used to carry two devices (until yesterday). I can't believe how nice it is and the phone is just as good, if not better than my old V710. I did a couple of weeks worth of side by side test with both units and the BB7250 showed no weakness. You will find yourself using it for both business and for personal. As for the size when you use it as a phone, it is not that bad. I got used to it in less than a day.

Just like the old life comercial "try it, you'll like it"
Old 08-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I originally purchased my 7250 because I wanted to be able to keep in constant contact with my business email, but since owning the device I would have to say that the personal use has definitely caught up to the business need. I have found that the BB has an uncanny way of ingraining itself into a users life to the point that you realize you're unsure of how you functioned without it. Having mobile access to all that the BB offers, to me, is priceless!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
pos_user

thanks for all the replies guys...sorry to bump this thread up...but i'm very close to getting a blackberry, then i realized how important a speaker phone function is to me...i was looking at the verizon $110.00 plan, and was so upset to find the 7250 w /bluetooth has no speaker
Old 10-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
CodyMac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: AT&T

I've got a 7100g I use for personal use only. It's great. I'm addicted to it, and am probably going to try to get the 8700 when it comes out, even though I've only had the 7100 for about 2 months.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I love my 7100t from T-Mobile. It has bluetooth and a great speakerphone. Price is good. Coverage is probably the biggest issue with T-Mobile. However, the Quad-band capability of the 7100 and 7290 helps with this issue because there is a growing number of 850Mhz GSM/GPRS US providers that T-Mobile is acquiring roaming agreements with. You can't beat it if you go overseas, too!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #15
pos_user

nice...

i cant believe verizon doesnt offer a BB w/ speaker. almost every other carrier has a BB w/ speaker...figures :(
Closed Thread